cliffw0970

Manta Ray Fatabu Servo

Wondered if anyone could offer some advice (or has a picture) on how the HItec HS RS 322 HD should be put together? Here are the parts that came with it, along with the propeller shaped fitting already on the servo.

Thanks 

DCD2C5E3-B9F8-490D-BA73-618A85EAD60B.jpeg

Those parts aren't used - they are supplied for fitting the servo into RC planes and boats that don't come with servo savers or fittings.

Put them to one side and use the fittings that come with the car kit, fitted as per the kit instructions.

Sometimes the answer is so simple. Parts being on the trees never dawned on me, I blame the heat! :-) 

Thanks, 

Stupid thing about Hitec or Tamiya, Tamiya doesn't include a servo arms that fits, Hitec has a 24 spline, Tamiya only includes a 25 Tamiya/Futuba and 23 Sanwa/Acoms adapter :blink:

You can use that cross just cut of three arms and shorten the fourth if necessary

6 hours ago, waterbok said:

Stupid thing about Hitec or Tamiya, Tamiya doesn't include a servo arms that fits, Hitec has a 24 spline, Tamiya only includes a 25 Tamiya/Futuba and 23 Sanwa/Acoms adapter :blink:

You can use that cross just cut of three arms and shorten the fourth if necessary

I don’t know why Hitec opted for 24 splines in the first place, but I’ve always had the impression that Tamiya kind of disapproves of Hitec and that this is related to Hitec’s roots. When the brand was established, there were strong connections (same owners? Cooperation?) between Hitec, Aristocraft and Academy. When Academy started producing RC-kits and plastic model kits, almost the complete range of plastic models were Tamiya copies. Even Academy boxarts were to a large extent Tamiya copies. And as most surely know, Academy RC-kits were also partially Tamiya clones.

Using Hitec’s own servo arms in Tamiya models is of course no problems, just like you describe. The real problem is the servo savers, as you surely also know. 20-25 years ago, an adapter for the standard Tamiya servo saver was included in all Hitec radio sets. I haven’t looked into a new Hitec radio set for almost 20 years, so I don’t know if they are still included. However, Hitec offers a separate set of servo saver adapters for both the standard Tamiya servo saver and the Hi-Torque servo saver. Hitec item number 6411. Photo below.

eshop_156257.jpg

• Thanks 1

There might be some japanese/korean rivality in the fact that tamiya never provided adapters for hitec servos.

9 hours ago, waterbok said:

So just use that part screwed on directly? Any more tweaking other than cutting the other three arms off?

Lesson i will take from this is buy Tamiya (and learn to spell Futuba!!)

Radio gear will be here today so want to get it running, even if its just periodically while awaiting a Tamiya servo.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, cliffw0970 said:

So just use that part screwed on directly? Any more tweaking other than cutting the other three arms off?

If you intend to use the servo with a mechanical speed control for the throttle, then yes. If the servo is for the steering, a servo saver is required. The servo saver is included in the Manta Ray kit, but doesn't fit Hitec servos. To use it, you need the white adapter in the photo in my previous post or you need to replace the original servo saver with an aftermarket servo saver suitable for Hitec servos. As written above, the adapter used to be included in Hitec radio sets, and maybe still is. If not, you will need to source it separately.

1 hour ago, cliffw0970 said:

Lesson i will take from this is buy Tamiya (and learn to spell Futuba!!)

Using non-Tamiya radio gear in Tamiya models is perfectly OK. It's just that the number of splines is a slight problem when using Hitec servos.

And I don't want to be me mean, but it's actually neither "Fatabu", nor "Futuba", but Futaba! :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

If you intend to use the servo with a mechanical speed control for the throttle, then yes. If the servo is for the steering, a servo saver is required. The servo saver is included in the Manta Ray kit, but doesn't fit Hitec servos. To use it, you need the white adapter in the photo in my previous post or you need to replace the original servo saver with an aftermarket servo saver suitable for Hitec servos. As writte above, the adapter used to be included in Hitec radio sets, and maybe still is. If not, you will need to source it separately.

Using non-Tamiya radio gear in Tamiya models is perfectly OK. It's just that the number of splines is a slight problem when using Hitec servos.

And I don't want to be me mean, but it's actually neither "Fatabu", nor "Futuba", but Futaba! :D

I will buy a Tamiya servo and stick with those going forward. Seems easier.

Just testing you on the Futaba spelling ;-)

• Like 1

Ah darn yes servo saver, you could get a (couple of) Kimbroughs, they come with three adapter and work great. 

Hitec have recently changed to 25t spline on their Servos, you may be able to just use what is included in the kit

10 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Hitec have recently changed to 25t spline on their Servos, you may be able to just use what is included in the kit

Spot on, you are absolutely right.

I did a three hour round trip yesterday to UKs biggest hobby shop (I’d been meaning to go) I bought a couple servos and was having issues with them last night. Took your advice, gave this a go and wallah :-) 

On 7/28/2019 at 10:22 AM, cliffw0970 said:

I did a three hour round trip yesterday to UKs biggest hobby shop...

Which shop is that... it can be hard to tell from online sources which shop are really gonna feel like “wow, they have everything!”

Hope you had fun!