Sign in to follow this  
Scouser

FTX Outback 2 project.

First thread in the builds section, but I was feeling inspired by the fantastic work that some of the builders here exhibit and reading some of Jenny Mo’s threads prompted me to buy some styrene and glue and see what sort of mess I could make with the FTX trail truck.

This is nowhere near finished but it has already been improved mechanically with the installation of a 20kg servo and custom steel heavy duty diff spools. The rest of the drivetrain is pretty much stock as I like the feel of the smaller 390 motor.

The bodyshell is stock but I thought it was a good opportunity to try some weathering techniques for the first time. The shell was painted Tamiya aluminum silver then regular primer before Tamiya Purple for the main body and white for the roof. All this was done on the outside of the shell while the inside got the aluminum and then Halfords truck bed liner paint. As the truck got used and abused the rust effect was done with Tamiya acrylic brown and various other bits I had lying about.

Interior is just a styrene bed and a gun rack made using the stock body mounts. The seats came from eBay and I still need to do a dashboard.

The guns are done with styrene and wood with the only metal parts being the butt plate on one of the rifles.

Anyway, be gentle, this is my first try.

B7C8990B-8AED-4CB7-B2BC-AF03D027F070.jpeg

F3A93299-5F07-4911-9FBE-44C836F32F62.jpeg

• Like 2

I am currently unable to upload the photos of the rifles and accessories but I will post them up when I can.

Great stuff! I've been keeping my eye out for one of these trucks as I think they're potentially a great platform :)

Thanks Hobgoblin, I got this to drive along with my son who has a pretty capable crawler. I love the FTX, I have never put this much effort into an r/c before. I did try the 540 conversion but switched back to stock as I preferred the 390 motor. For £119 for the rolling chassis, I can’t complain.

Managed to upload the picture of the accessories. Still need to stain the wood and paint the styrene before putting them all together. Some are already done and some half finished.

83466149-0123-4E24-BE64-CFCB69CF30ED.jpeg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Scouser said:

I did try the 540 conversion but switched back to stock as I preferred the 390 motor. 

I'm curious as to why? It was going to be my first port of call to change out the motor - but maybe not!

The conversion kit that is basically the centre skid plate drilled for Maverick Scout gearbox, pushed the motor higher and raised the centre of gravity. I really liked the lightweight handling of the stock gearbox/ motor so I switched back.

Lots of other owners have done the 540 mod and love it but it just wasn’t for me. I concentrated on improving the axle internals and steering. I went so far as to release a steel diff spool!

If you get one and want to do the conversion, look for HSP gearbox on eBay as it is exactly the same as the Maverick one but considerably cheaper. You can get the steel internal gears for that gearbox either from HSP or for the Redcat Gen7. Also, let me know if you are converting your truck as you can have my centre skid plate, I won’t be needing it again.