TheBigRed407

To glue, or not to glue...

Hi again guys...back with another question!!

So, some more parts have arrived for my planned DT03 refurb in the shape of some white Blitzer wheels along with some tyres and foams. 

Couldn’t resist chucking the tyres on the rims to see how they look, as you do. So the tyres are a bit of a fight to get on and once on, they are a very snug fit. The wheels also don’t have any air holes, so the tyres don’t really feel like they’d deform much under load. So...the question. Should I glue the tyres into the rims or not? If I use glue, do I go the whole hog and glue all the way around, or just spots at regular intervals?

Once again, thanks in advance and thanks for looking!!

Yes glue them, i usually do a drop every 120° both sides, it flows a bit between rim and tire depending on how big a drop.

If you do glue, drill air holes in the wheels (two 1mm holes or one 1.5mm hole should do) and add foams. With glue, but no foams and no air hole they'll be 'pumped up' so to speak and when one gets an (inevitable) air leak they will start behaving differently causing erratic handling. With an air hole, glue, and no foams they might collapse too easily under load. 

6 hours ago, TheBigRed407 said:

Should I glue the tyres into the rims or not? 

Depends on the motor and battery power you are going for, if it's a low turn brushless on 3s - oh yes. If it's the stock torque tuned on nimh, I'd maybe not bother. Worst case is you'd need to give them a clean and then glue them anyway.

6 hours ago, TheBigRed407 said:

If I use glue, do I go the whole hog and glue all the way around, or just spots at regular intervals?

Again depends on the power, I normally just run a bead of superglue all the way around, but if the motor isnt to viscous, spots would do.

(On the DT03 paddled tyre , beach runner, I've had to run extra runs of superglue around the join!) 

• Like 1

If you're worried about wanting to get them off again later, you can try using Shoe-Goo or some other type of silicone adhesive instead of superglue. It holds them in place, but you can peel it off with a little force if you change your mind later. Be careful, though; it's messy to do.

Another trick, that works brilliantly on the harder Tamiya tires (Blackfoot, Lunchbox, etc) - rubber bands. Put a rubber band in the tire bead and pull the tire over it. These tires are too firm to be pulled off the bead, but they are notorious for slipping on the wheels, especially once a little dust gets in between the wheen and tire. The rubber bands stop the slippage without having to resort to glue.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2019 at 2:10 PM, Wooders28 said:

Depends on the motor and battery power you are going for, if it's a low turn brushless on 3s - oh yes. If it's the stock torque tuned on nimh, I'd maybe not bother. Worst case is you'd need to give them a clean and then glue them anyway.

Again depends on the power, I normally just run a bead of superglue all the way around, but if the motor isnt to viscous, spots would do.

(On the DT03 paddled tyre , beach runner, I've had to run extra runs of superglue around the join!) 

This.

Depending on power two to three spots for tame/Stock, to fully glued for high power brushless/Lipo combos. Acetone dissolves glue too.

18 minutes ago, berman said:

This.

Depending on power two to three spots for tame/Stock, to fully glued for high power brushless/Lipo combos. Acetone dissolves glue too.

Acetone also dissolves a lot of Tamiya’s rims. I found out the hard way :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use a veg steamer to remove tyres, (wife thought I was going on a diet when I came home with one 😳😂) , 25 mins and they fall off (let them cool for a bit...) 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Acetone also dissolves a lot of Tamiya’s rims. I found out the hard way :wacko:

Are you soaking the whole wheel/tyre in it? I just drip it where the glue spots are. Also there is non acetone based stuff as well, with my other half being a beauty therapist I just wait until she is not looking and help myself to her stuff :ph34r:

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2019 at 12:37 PM, markbt73 said:

If you're worried about wanting to get them off again later, you can try using Shoe-Goo or some other type of silicone adhesive instead of superglue. It holds them in place, but you can peel it off with a little force if you change your mind later. Be careful, though; it's messy to do.

Another trick, that works brilliantly on the harder Tamiya tires (Blackfoot, Lunchbox, etc) - rubber bands. Put a rubber band in the tire bead and pull the tire over it. These tires are too firm to be pulled off the bead, but they are notorious for slipping on the wheels, especially once a little dust gets in between the wheen and tire. The rubber bands stop the slippage without having to resort to glue.

I think silicone glue (or caulk) is a good idea.  Even if you wheelie all day long, it's strong enough to keep the tires in place, but you can just peel off when you want to replace the tires.  If you can grab the wheel and turn the tire by hand, I would use silicone glue.  If you can't do it, a sealant would do.  

One could use the strongest glue in the world, but does it need to be?  A tire just needs to stay on the rim without rotating independently.  Rubber band would do the same.  

When you need to change a worn tire or a cracked rim, or just need to balance the wheel, it's just easier if you can remove it by hand, on the spot.  

fjBqhoD.jpg

• Like 3

Agree with @markbt73 and @Juggular

Glue but not with CA 

Silicone glue around the rims of an installed tyre also stops water ingress whilst binding at the strongest point 

Never thought of rubber bands - genius ! 

• Like 1

I’ve got a few Tamiya models and the only one that I’ve had slipping tyres with is the MF01X. The rally tyres constantly come off the rims. I’ve bought some new rims, and some glue (from RC Mart, can’t remember the brand off the top of my head), so this will hopefully sort the issue out.

7 hours ago, berman said:

Are you soaking the whole wheel/tyre in it? I just drip it where the glue spots are. Also there is non acetone based stuff as well, with my other half being a beauty therapist I just wait until she is not looking and help myself to her stuff :ph34r:

I did the same as I do with my nylon style race rims, soak the "bead" in acetone. but as soon as I placed the rim into the acetone, it started melting, turning the acetone cloudy, and the rim was ruined (Terra Scorcher wheels)

12 hours ago, Juggular said:

I think silicone glue (or caulk) is a good idea.  Even if you wheelie all day long, it's strong enough to keep the tires in place, but you can just peel off when you want to replace the tires.  If you can grab the wheel and turn the tire by hand, I would use silicone glue.  If you can't do it, a sealant would do.  

One could use the strongest glue in the world, but does it need to be?  A tire just needs to stay on the rim without rotating independently.  Rubber band would do the same.  

When you need to change a worn tire or a cracked rim, or just need to balance the wheel, it's just easier if you can remove it by hand, on the spot.  

fjBqhoD.jpg

I Never give silicone glue a thought🙄! And the amount of rims I've ruined (and fingers) when my tyre have had their day, the years I've been in this hobby and I'm still learning👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, moffman said:

the years I've been in this hobby and I'm still learning

Yeah, tell me about it.  I've learned it myself only a couple years ago.  Was it from @markbt73, or somebody else?  Can't remember.  For certain I didn't come up with it.  It seems every time, somebody comes up with something clever!  

• Like 1

I only knew about using silicone because I bought a used truck that had been built that way. The rubber band trick came from someone on here, many moons ago, but I can't remember who...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2019 at 3:32 PM, mtbkym01 said:

I did the same as I do with my nylon style race rims, soak the "bead" in acetone. but as soon as I placed the rim into the acetone, it started melting, turning the acetone cloudy, and the rim was ruined (Terra Scorcher wheels)

That sucks, because I would imagine the white TS wheels aren't easy to find! 

Rubber bands are especially good for lunchbox wheels, as from previous experience the tyres are always a little loose in the time, so they also take up any slack and make them run true.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1