Sign in to follow this  
nickf

Do you think that Tamiya will RE RE the F201?

I missed the original run for the F201 and I have been kicking myself ever since.  I purchased a F104 to scratch the F1 itch, but now I'm on the hunt for a F201.  Does anybody know or heard if this model might get RE RE.

Thanks

Nick F

I tend to doubt it; if you read the section on the Formula 1 chassis on Black Hole Sun's website ( article here ), it seems like the F201 filled a gap in the lineup while the F103 was not produced from 2000 to 2006.  The article suggests the F201 was not accepted very much because of its 4WD design.  So, while there are some collectors who appreciate the model for its scale engineering, it would probably be met with the same response by the overall market.  Therefore, not profitable to bring back.

Possibly the closest we could get to the F201 suspension but 2WD instead of 4WD is 3Racing's FGX EVO 2018, a slightly modified update to their original FGX.  Similar pushrod/cantilever suspension, but a little longer.  There's some good, bad, ugly to the kit as I wrote in my build thread ( here ).  But if you're looking for a F1 chassis that is somewhat scale in its engineering and "2WD correct", then the FGX EVO might fit the bill.

Very unlikely the F201 will be re-re'd.

It was a poor seller and I seem to recall NIB kits being sold to clear on ebay around 10 -12 years ago for as little as £80.

Some spares are quite hard to find now.

Given that both second hand and nib models have steadily been losing value over the last few years it’s very unlikely Tamiya would bother tooling up again for it. 

Its not actually that great of a car, it’s proportions are all screwy compared to the F103/F104. If you park it next to them it looks pretty horrid.

The front suspension needs basically a rock hard FRP sway bar for the car to work, but the front suspension is basically disabled by it.  

My suggestion is pickup a few second hand ones and build a nice shelter. Few body’s still about nip. But parts are getting less. 

Ok thats not what I wanted to hear but it is what it is, thank for the responses, I guess Im looking on ebay, etc to find a used one.

I've just recently got one...... and I can say it a great car! I've got the 2wd f1 and this in my eyes beats it. I find it easier to drive than the 2wd f1 cars. I will put a picture up...

F201 was a car before it’s time.  With a brushed motor the drivetrain drag would get the motor hot. It’s runs a 100% better with a brushless motor system. The 4wd and rubber tires makes it handle really well.  I really like mine. 

image_zps23a51aa8.jpg

• Thanks 2

Hmm. Is it really an F1 though? Or a touring chassis cleverly engineered to fit within the confines of a F1 shell? It may run well with brushless power and be easier to drive than a pan-style F1 car, but the same can be said of many TCs. With Tamiya still producing "proper" F1 chassis including their TRF offerings, I doubt that this will feature on their radar.

Tamiya’s “proper” F1 is absolutely lousy to run on anything other than a prepared track surface. Run one out on the street in front of your house and you’ll be spinning donuts and chipping the foam off the tires.  The F201 is was more durable and easier to run

• Like 1

I too love my F201 it was the first kit I built after getting back into the hobby - always wanted a Formula 1 ever since I saw them in the 1980’s Tamiya Catalogue.

Noticed the kits that are for sale are selling for mega bucks now !

Think I picked mine up back in the day for under AUS $100-

41EAD764-E78C-44C1-BDDA-26D575B568C6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 10:17 AM, Shodog said:

Tamiya’s “proper” F1 is absolutely lousy to run on anything other than a prepared track surface. Run one out on the street in front of your house and you’ll be spinning donuts and chipping the foam off the tires.  The F201 is was more durable and easier to run

That is how all pan cars behave, unless you have a pristine surface forget about it. IMO that is why 1/12th scale, and even F1 are not as popular as they could be. You cannot run them down the street like a touring car, which that is limited to street surface as well. An offload buggy with street tires can run anywhere, heck most people just leave on the knobby tires and hit the streets. I use to have a F201, while I did enjoy it, no one else had one, so it was more of a novelty in the end. While Tamiya had a great idea, none of the other Mfg's jumped on board to make it a real class of cars.