junkmunki

Something other than rc

In my endless quest to find rare and vintage Tamiya rc kits to collect and restore, i sometimes come across other intersting Tamiya kits.

I was aware of and have seen Tamiya's large 1/12 scale kits before, and found them to be impressive, but not so different to other manufacturers plastic kits, but i had not however ever seen one of these, so i jumped at the chance to buy it.

Apparently, it was part of a 'masters' series (?) and available in two different versions. It is a fantastic kit, most of the suspension parts such as the wishbones are metal, the main body parts are stamped in aluminium with fine details, and it even come with a miniature wheel brace to do the wheel nuts up.

I have searched the internet and found pictures of completed models, and they do look pretty impressive when built and painted well. Has anyone on TC built one of these?

DSC_5342.JPG

DSC_5344.JPG

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Bromley said:

That looks fantastic. Are you planning to build it?

I will build it eventually, i have several other projects on the go at the moment. I need to finish something before i start a new model...<_<

The underlying Lotus 7 is classic - and prob a branding nightmare.

Would love to see a pro build of this with hop ups 😬

Not sure it its near term collectible ?

I have one of the Caterham kits in the attic. Not going to start it until I start my 1:1 clone build. Using an NB Miata as a donor.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

The underlying Lotus 7 is classic - and prob a branding nightmare.

Would love to see a pro build of this with hop ups 😬

Not sure it its near term collectible ?

You are right about it not being termed a collectable kit, but it just looked too good a kit to pass up.

While looking for info on this model, i have found a Japanese modeller on youtube known as Jenic who has documented his build of one of these. Its over about 10 parts, but his skills are something else, every detail is perfect. Its worth watching...

Just type in Tamiya Caterham Super 7 BDR  2017 and it will come up.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, junkmunki said:

Apparently, it was part of a 'masters' series (?) and available in two different versions.

There are actually 3 different versions of the Caterham Super Seven in the Master's Coachwork series:

10201 Caterham Superseven BDR , released in 1994   
10202 Caterham Superseven BDR Cycle Fender Special, released in 1994    
10203 Caterham Superseven JPE, released in 1998    
10204 Caterham Superseven BDR (2017), released in 2017 and 2018, depending on market. 10204 is a re-release of 10201, but with wooden displaybase included.

• Like 1

2019_0304paintAcrylic0008.JPG.cd8405566e2ebeed64498e1b666b8be3.JPG

Half built. It is a superb model, you need patience with some of the small screws that hold the suspension together. It has a lot of metal parts as you can see. Makes painting easier in some ways as bare metal is notoriously difficult to reproduce. Will restart in autumn when I start plastic modelling again. Tend to do RC in spring and summer and Plastic in autumn and winter.

The display base isnt wood its plastic with a sort of cobble street pattern on it. As this one has been re issued it has reduced its collectability however the JPE and even more so the cycle fender are becoming as rare as hens teeth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

The display base isnt wood its plastic with a sort of cobble street pattern on it.

Thanks for pointing that out! I reckon I at some time got the idea that it was wood as some of the Tamiya kits that include a displaybase actually have them in wood, just like some of the separately available display cases from Tamiya.

Belatedly realised you guys are talking about a static - which is all down to increasing age and weakening eyesight 😂

I’m thinking about the Lotus 7 r/c version - which may have been a Mardave kit ?

I might even go for a road car if somebody did a Caterham/Lotus 7 rc kit!!!!!!

You know, someday, somebody is going to wonder why he decided to build 1:1 like @geniusanthony.  He might not even remember where he got the idea.  So, before you forget... remember.  Here, this thread, is where it started.  (I'll be happy with 1:12.  one of these days...) 

3 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

ABC Hobby did:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=16234&id=504

and Mardave still does one, althought the ABC Hobby Super Seven is admittedly a lot nicer:

https://www.mardave.co.uk/rc-cars/636-detail

Funny how other companies seem to be able to produce licenced models whereas tamiya have to make do with made up names like Freelander?????