netsmithUK

Forum software update this week. Might be offline from time to time

Got quite a big update to do on the forum this week. Just giving you a bit of warning as it might be offline from time to time. It might also look a bit different as the design currently being used is not compatible with the updated version, so please just bear with my while I work on it. I'll post here again when I think its completely back to where I want it and after that hit me your feedback/bugs but up to that point I probably won't respond as things will still be in a state of change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chris,

First observation, Font on the Forum headings has gone all Times New Roman.

Can you post a screen shot and let me know what device you are looking on. Fonts look ok to me

32 minutes ago, netsmithUK said:

Can you post a screen shot and let me know what device you are looking on. Fonts look ok to me

Google Chrome, Windows 10 PC

2019-07-29-22-08-07-Forums-Tamiyaclub-co

Got Times New Roman on andriod on samsung s7 using both samsung browser and chrome. Also the "next unread topic" at the bottom of threads doesn't list what the topic is. 

BTW you know that 'bold' style on the headings is an indicator that there is content that has not been read? Clearly, you have been slacking on your reading ;) If you want to get rid of this just click on the 'activity' link at the top and then click on the 'mark site as read' link in the topish right.

Is the "Build tips and techniques" sub forum meant to be in the Sales section?

It seems a bit of an odd place for it

When NOT logged into the forum and viewing a thread such as this one, the message posting box at the bottom of the thread allows me to enter whatever email I want and write any message I want.  It doesn't actually post when submitting it, however.  Seems like we would not want to allow any data entry at all unless the user is logged in.

31 minutes ago, netsmithUK said:

Thanks. What did it do before the update?

There was a grey box heading a topic or thread that said something along the lines of ‘ You do not have permission to vote in this poll ‘ When you wasn’t signed in.

There was a bit more after that but I can’t remember exactly what it was?

it could have been something like ‘sign in or create an account to comment ‘

@speedy_w_beans @Re-Bugged Thats for pointing it out. Was actually a new feature to encourage people to sign up, by allowing them to ask their question before taking them to the signup form. The question just got thrown away if they didn't complete the usual sign up. That said, its not a feature it wanted turned on, so I've now turned it off.

Being able to now see Main Site Member Showroom updates on the Forum site is a very nice touch 👍🏻.

@Re-Bugged Good spot! Members showrooms are really the reason TC exists, that is to give collectors a place to show off and catalogue their models in an organised and connected way. I'm doing some work on them at the moment to make them even better but they just felt a bit 'disconnected' to the forum activity so I decided to join them back up, at least in a small way.

Chris

• Like 2

Chris, I went to update the first post in this thread, and even though I completed the CAPTCHA correctly it won't let me save the changes with the "Edit Topic" button.  I'm using Windows 10/Firefox 69.0.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/90511-tamiyaclub-official-top-10-fastest-rcers-part-2/

Edit to add:  I tried a second time with a different computer.  Same result.  I go to edit the first post in the thread; under the text box is an "Edit Topic" button.  I click the button and am presented with a CAPTCHA check.  Upon completing the check, I'm taken back to the text editor and the changes have not been saved.  Essentially I'm stuck in an infinite loop bouncing between editing the first post and the CAPTCHA check.

@netsmithUK, sorry to bug you...  I hope you had a chance to look into this (see above post).  This fails for both Firefox and Microsoft Edge.  Thanks.

Edit to add:. Editing first posts/topics also fails on an Android tablet.

Im narrowing the problem down but its a tricky one. Forum software looks like its all ok but there is a problem with how it interacts with the firewall it sits behind. I'm just working through different settings to see what has the right effect. 

Chris