acprc

All things nitro

I guess I had to be first! In all seriousness this will be the new home for all things nitro. Tamiya have over 100 nitro kits in their collection, some rare like the Italian BMT collaborations and some not so rare like the XBG TGS range. This will be the new location to ask about them all.

• Like 3

I have sooooo many nitro questions... can't think why i didn't do this earlier. :)

For the record this is what I'll be asking about...

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=11807&id=1 

(pull start has pulled right off - want to replace with electric start if poss)

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=5173&id=1

and a Nitro Thunder. All of them run about about once every 5 years.

I had a nitro force.  Kit version of the nitro thunder.  It was amazingly fast with the two speed transmission but an amazing pain in the *** to get running correctly.  Loved it but sold it

• Like 1

Love all of these, start some question threads on each and we can go from there.

Just now, slimleeroy said:

I had a nitro force.  Kit version of the nitro thunder.  It was amazingly fast with the two speed transmission but an amazing pain in the *** to get running correctly.  Loved it but sold it

I have all 4 of the NDF kits. Very much underrated 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, slimleeroy said:

I agree.  The rear mounted exhaust looked awesome.  Did they come with a rebranded OS engine?

So the FS-15S in the Nitro Thunder, Nitro Blaster, and Nitro Force are the same engine as the FR-15S in the Nitro Crusher. The crankcase is the only real difference (rear exit as apposed to side exit). Incidentally if you didn't know that FR means rear and FS means side exit across all the Tamiya engines. Of all the nitro engines these are the only ones I am not certain who made them for Tamiya. I believe they are probably Force engines as they don't share any parts with the OS produced engines and that is usually a give away. OS re-used some components across the engines they made for Tamiya. The FR-32FX engines in the TNX 5.2 and Nitrage 5.2 are Force engines with Tamiya stickers and a different heatsink head.

No probs - its up to you lot of eager beavers to make sure people use it now! :)

• Thanks 1

Yea pretty cool move! Nowadays we all know electric cars (bikes/scooters/ect) are not the future, Nitro is the way to go! :lol:

#fridays_for_nitros

• Haha 1

But for all seriousness, I am just at the way to pinch a bushing for a HPI motor. This time I sent it to a guy in Germany but I would love to try it on my own. I already have a woren out FS-15 bushing/cylinder to do...

1 hour ago, Collin said:

But for all seriousness, I am just at the way to pinch a bushing for a HPI motor. This time I sent it to a guy in Germany but I would love to try it on my own. I already have a woren out FS-15 bushing/cylinder to do...

Plenty of videos about for doing this yourself, I think youtube had some. I am starting to make a table that shows what compression new Tamiya nitro engines have from the Factory so I can use it to compare compression on used engines to determine wear. Half, quarter worn etc. Not super scientific due to some variables however a good initial indication 

•  Reminder to myself, getting the pressure gauge you showed in one of your restauration threads.

Simply saied, if you can push the piston further then half open exhaus port, its done. Youtube videos which showes slamming piston with the hammer, me no like : ) Looking to find a propper clamp. But luckily I dont need pinching sleves so often.

Go for the compression rate table! :wub:

• Like 1

Great idea! 

Is it for just tamiya nitro motors, or anything? (I've a 3 speed Schumacher fusion that's eating plugs for fun 🤔

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Great idea! 

Is it for just tamiya nitro motors, or anything? (I've a 3 speed Schumacher fusion that's eating plugs for fun 🤔

More the merrier, what plug, fuel and is it the kit motor?

21 minutes ago, acprc said:

More the merrier, what plug, fuel and is it the kit motor?

I'm going to need to revisit it, it got thrown in the corner in a huff last year...🙄

Stock - .21 (3.5cc motor)

Fuel - 16% and 20%, tried both (thinking I should have just stuck to one...)

Plugs - I can't remember tbh, think I went to a colder plug (lower number?) when I damaged the plug quick, then it would only run if I left the glow plug heater on, so altered the mixture to factory (all the way in, 1 1/2 out?) ,then started spitting fuel and another plug away.

Threw in the corner then charged a Lipo 🤔😁

• Like 1

What is basicly the reason for eaing plugs? Too hot glowing-coil and too much pressure through compression?

I had this once at the LRP 18S for my TR-15T and added 2 or 3/10mm sqish with a copper headgasket.

Usual reason for burning up plugs is the mixture is too lean. Richen the mixture up till the exhaust smokes when using the throttle. The lean mixture generates heat. I nearly always use OS A3 and A8 glow plugs.

• Thanks 1

It was more like the coil was squeezed down. I run mostly to the lean, but responsible. Never had any burned plugs.

This is a great idea, I’ve been racing 1/8 Nitro for the last 8-10 years, so may be able to offer help and advice in this space too

Here’s my current race truggy

46684588482_beba4e8caf_k.jpg

46684588092_32b9f15557_k.jpg

Got a 1/8 Mugen Seiki MBX8 Worlds Spec on order that should be at the wholesaler in about a month, to match above

9 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Here’s my current race truggy

46684588482_beba4e8caf_k.jpg

46684588092_32b9f15557_k.jpg

Got a 1/8 Mugen Seiki MBX8 Worlds Spec on order that should be at the wholesaler in about a month, to match above

Nice,

I have a 1/8 Mugen Supersport that is slowly being restored as Koji Sanada's IFMAR Worlds car. Had some input from him directly as he is now the CEO of Mugen

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, acprc said:

Nice,

I have a 1/8 Mugen Supersport that is slowly being restored as Koji Sanada's IFMAR Worlds car. Had some input from him directly as he is now the CEO of Mugen

Yes he is, think I showed you this pic before

46276069494_20a0612093_k.jpg

This was taken in Japan about 6 years ago on a trip with the Australian Mugen distributor (a good friend of mine). I got to say hello to Koji again last year in Perth Australia at the 1/8 worlds.

• Like 2