novaris

Help in getting a proper touring car chassis

I need another touring car chassis as I only have a TT02R but I have quite a few bodies. Getting another tt02r isn't what I want because nowadays a TT02R costs just below a TA07 pro with discounts.

I am also thinking of long term use and I wish to avoid buying Ta07pro then buying hopups then upgrading to a 07R, then trf419xf. I mean, based on prices I see on ebay, etc, a Ta07R costs about US$500, ta07 MS US$550 +20 for shipping. a TRX419xf about US$550.+20 for shipping, a Ta07 pro with a few hopups costs almost half that of the previous 3 kits. 

Ta07 pro with all the upgrades to reach a 419xf level would still be cheaper but the hassle is not worth it.

any advice?

What do you want from the chassis? The TB05 Pro or TA07 Pro are both a big step up from a TT02 and good value kits.

If you are racing then I can only comment on the TA07 Pro but I suspect the TB05 Pro will be similar. The follpwing hop ups are essential 

Alloy suspension blocks

The stiffeners - reinforced k parts and the carbon fibre versions and carbon fibre centre brace to adjust flex (ie remove most of it)

TRF418 swaybar kit

Nice to haves are the servo mount, carbon fibre shock towers, alloy steering set

You can go for a spool and DCJ's but I just went 1m diff oil instead.

The TA07R has all the upgrades but doesnt have the stiffeners so factor those into the cost. It also has super short shocks which are an expensive hopup but i'm not sure they make much difference. I gpt my Pro before the R came out but lookingnat them wouldn't buy the R. My Pro is close enough to the R and about 2/3 the cost so I'm happy with that. The R is too close to the MS or TRF419XR, especially considering the extra for the stiffeners.

Another thing to consider is that there are a number of carbon conversions form the TA07 Pro/R. These would close the gap between the TRF or MS car in both performance and price (possibly make thenR the most expensive), it  just leaves you with the plastic bulkheads instead of alloy for the MS or TRF. But if you went with the Pro you could see how it goes and keep this as an option. Of course it means the stiffeners are no longer necessary so are wasted if you convert to carbon fibre chassis.

I think the TRF419XR has some small advantages over the TA07MS, adjustable diff height maybe? Honestly I don't know. I think they are so close just choose based on what you think looks better. Personally I have a soft spot for the TA07 but would probably buy the TRF419XR as its the premier kit rather than the upgraded mid level kit.

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What do you want from the chassis? The TB05 Pro or TA07 Pro are both a big step up from a TT02 and good value kits.

If you are racing then I can only comment on the TA07 Pro but I suspect the TB05 Pro will be similar. The follpwing hop ups are essential 

Alloy suspension blocks

The stiffeners - reinforced k parts and the carbon fibre versions and carbon fibre centre brace to adjust flex (ie remove most of it)

TRF418 swaybar kit

Nice to haves are the servo mount, carbon fibre shock towers, alloy steering set

You can go for a spool and DCJ's but I just went 1m diff oil instead.

The TA07R has all the upgrades but doesnt have the stiffeners so factor those into the cost. It also has super short shocks which are an expensive hopup but i'm not sure they make much difference. I gpt my Pro before the R came out but lookingnat them wouldn't buy the R. My Pro is close enough to the R and about 2/3 the cost so I'm happy with that. The R is too close to the MS or TRF419XR, especially considering the extra for the stiffeners.

Another thing to consider is that there are a number of carbon conversions form the TA07 Pro/R. These would close the gap between the TRF or MS car in both performance and price (possibly make thenR the most expensive), it  just leaves you with the plastic bulkheads instead of alloy for the MS or TRF. But if you went with the Pro you could see how it goes and keep this as an option. Of course it means the stiffeners are no longer necessary so are wasted if you convert to carbon fibre chassis.

I think the TRF419XR has some small advantages over the TA07MS, adjustable diff height maybe? Honestly I don't know. I think they are so close just choose based on what you think looks better. Personally I have a soft spot for the TA07 but would probably buy the TRF419XR as its the premier kit rather than the upgraded mid level kit.

I want a competitive race car since I have the tt02r as a "leisure" car.

also, I don't quite get the distinction between trf419xr and ta07ms/R. I mean, what are each of the cars trying to target/achieve? the costs of these cars are so close to each other.

If you want a competitive racer then get the TRF419XR or the TA07MS since they are the top level kits and come with everything. The TA07 Pro and R will both need hopups and are still a mid level chassis. As for which one, personally i doubt it would make much difference to most people, either will be amazing. A top racer will no doubt have an opinion on which is better with good reasons to back it up

Have you had a look at RCTech? There are long threads on the TA07MS, TA07 Pro and TRF419 which would be worth reading through to help make the decision. There are people on there with both who will give you a good answer about which they prefer and why

Tamiya USA has the TRF419XR for $395 new atm. Super cheap for a top end touring car