Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

46mm swing shaft in TA06 - just use TRF418 upright?

Trying to buy some universals for my TA06. With the stock suspension as far as i can tell from the manuals i need a 44mm swing shaft. However on the TA06-R it has a 46mm swing shaft and it also has the TRF418 suspension, this being the key difference in the final version of the 06. So, if i just buy some TRF418 or 419 reinforced rear uprights, can i get the longer 46mm shaft or do i need the 418/9 arms too? 

Thanks!

Without checking first,  you will need the 46mm shafts, uprights and arms to make it all work together. 

Why not just get 44mm shafts? 

@ThunderDragonCy, your base TA06 kit uses the same arms and uprights as TB03/TA05V2/FF03.  The TA06R uses the same arms and uprights as the TRF418, both in carbon reinforced plastics.

I pulled both a base TB03 kit (same parts as your base TA06) and a TA06R kit and did some visual inspections and measurements on the arms and uprights.  The short answer you're looking for is you can use 46 mm CVDs with your existing kit arms and uprights; there's no need to buy other uprights or arms if you don't want to.

Comparing TB03/TA06 and TA06R/TRF418 rear uprights, everything is the same except for the material (base nylon vs. carbon reinforced), and there are two holes for the top ball stud (TB03/TA06) vs. one hole (TA06R/TRF418).  The single hole in the TA06R/TRF418 upright is slightly outboard compared to the innermost hole on the TB03/TA06 upright.  This has a small impact on roll center, but I'd hardly worry about it given the experimental nature of your build.  So, you can be assured the ball bearings are located the same height above the lower hinge pin, and the spacing between the ball bearings is the same.

Comparing TB03/TA06 and TA06R/TRF418 suspension arms, the inner-to-outer hinge pin spacing is the same for both styles of front arms and the same for both styles of rear arms.  The main differences include materials, number of droop screw holes, number and location of damper mounting holes, and part shape overall.  The basic hinge pin spacing won't affect your CVD length since they are nearly identical.  I attribute 0.1 mm of difference to maybe different materials with different shrink rates in the molds.

Seems like you can use either 44 mm or 46 mm shafts as the TA06R manual calls out 46 mm swing shafts, but the 42216 Double Cardan joints in 44 mm are also listed as an upgrade for the TA06.  The suspension arms and uprights have no impact on the choice.

• Thanks 1

@speedy_w_beans Thank you so much for the detailed info. The car has regular dogbones for now, but i need something else for itand spotted some 46mm universals for 6 bucks on rcmart on the trf418 page. To good to pass up at that price! 

Looks like I stand corrected 🙄

Just taken a pic of my 06r and 06ms

both have 46mm shafts! Looks like the R could possibly get away with having 44mm shafts🤔

06R

DSC_0213.JPG

• Like 2

Shocking photos!! 

06ms

DSC_0214.JPG

• Like 2

As above the 46mm shafts are compatible with the TA06 arms / hubs etc. 

However, there is another factor, you need to consider the suspension block settings. If you make the suspension blocks more narrow then the 46mm universals might bind suspension movement. The sock kit is FF-A and FR-A and so is the R so assuming you have not gone much more narrow such as XB you should be fine. 

I did did a guide about Tamiya suspension settings and blocks here https://www.thercracer.com/2017/01/tamiya-suspension-mount-ultimate.html?m=0

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, qatmix said:

As above the 46mm shafts are compatible with the TA06 arms / hubs etc. 

However, there is another factor, you need to consider the suspension block settings. If you make the suspension blocks more narrow then the 46mm universals might bind suspension movement. The sock kit is FF-A and FR-A and so is the R so assuming you have not gone much more narrow such as XB you should be fine. 

I did did a guide about Tamiya suspension settings and blocks here https://www.thercracer.com/2017/01/tamiya-suspension-mount-ultimate.html?m=0

This is for the rear. Stock fitting is 1A/XA FR, and 1D RR. I have gone to 1XD for more toe in which according to your blog is very narrow. Might need to stick with 44mm then. 

Wow, 1xD for RF is very narrow. I definitely would suggest you do not go more than 3 deg rear toe, it will make the rear end very locked and cause a lot of drag on the straights.

1Xa RF and 1D RR is 3 deg and is very stable and a good starting point.

• Like 1