dc-arena

CC-02 Cross Country chassis

Someone tell TamiyaBlog that it's called April Fools Day not August Fools Day.  This might be something I'll only believe when I see it.

It does make sense though.  I buy an M05, soon after they reveal an M07.  I buy an M06, they reveal the M08.  I buy both a CC01 and CR01, they reveal a CC02.  I will, of course, buy one anyway.

• Haha 3

I just looked on TamiyaBase and it says the CC-01 came out in 1993! Had no idea it had been around for so long.

I wonder what sort of updates they've done to the chassis. I have 3 CC01's and I'll probably get a CC02 at some point, although not particularly keen on a G500.

• Like 2

I really like the body. Hopefully this is a serious foray into scale crawling land, MST-CFX a like.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jupitertwo said:

I really like the body. Hopefully this is a serious foray into scale crawling land, MST-CFX a like.

It would be nice, but I doubt it. That is more likely to be a role for the CR-02 when/if we get one. 

I think the CC-02 will retain the position of its predecessor, somewhere in between a high-end toy and a serious scaler.

That won't stop me getting one though. My CC-01 needs a younger sibling.

• Like 2

It's almost as if they were listening :D

Hopefully it will be a more stock body rather than one of the bling-y G Wagons.

• Like 1

Looking at some chassis shots of the CC-01 online, it looks very open to the elements. Anyone think that this could be all covered up? Something like the XV-01? I guess it's got a high ride-height so it's less of an issue that something like the rally car.

With any luck, it will be compatible with existing CC-01 bodies.

i'm personally hoping for a Subaru Forrester X body, 2009, but that's only because I use to have one, and I figured if they did the Honda.

:o

I have been asking for this for years...  I can't remember how many CC01s I have (it's a few!) but it's tiring to have to work around the same flaws over and over again.  I can't imagine this chassis will be perfect (where would Tamiya be without their quirks?) but if it's occupying the same marketplace as the CC01 and with some good scale- and drivetrain-realistic bodies, it will be a winner for me.

Pennies in save mode.

• Haha 1

If they do this right, it could be really great. But that's a big "if." For me, doing it right would include:

- A modular front end design that could be either IFS or a straight axle, to match the body

- More wheelbase options, out to at least 12 inches or so

- Full compatibility with the old bodies (I'm guessing that's what the "body mount set" is for) and a range of new hard bodies, in both modern and classic subject matter

- More gearing options, and lower gearing overall (and compatibility with their portal axle ends)

- And if they're really paying attention to the market, a chassis-only kit that includes both front end options and full bearings

Sadly, I'm expecting a mildly reworked CC01 and a bunch of Lexan bodies I don't want. But I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

If they do this right, it could be really great. But that's a big "if." For me, doing it right would include:

- A modular front end design that could be either IFS or a straight axle, to match the body

- More wheelbase options, out to at least 12 inches or so

- Full compatibility with the old bodies (I'm guessing that's what the "body mount set" is for) and a range of new hard bodies, in both modern and classic subject matter

- More gearing options, and lower gearing overall (and compatibility with their portal axle ends)

- And if they're really paying attention to the market, a chassis-only kit that includes both front end options and full bearings

Sadly, I'm expecting a mildly reworked CC01 and a bunch of Lexan bodies I don't want. But I hope I'm wrong.

Almost my exact thought. 

Front end: My guess is that the front will get a straight axle, and no IFS. Neither stock, nor optional.

Wheelbase: For me; "12 inches or so" would mean 12.3 (313mm) and the shortest possible wheelbase would have to be 242mm, or even 225mm (Jimny).

Bodies: fully agree, but I really doubt that any new hard bodies will be released, but I certainly hope so.

Gearing: what you ask for isn't more than the minimum Tamiya should cater for. Failing "your" spec simply isn't acceptable if the CC-02 is a completely new development.

Chassis-only kit: Definitely.

Your expectation: dito.

• Like 3

They have a license with Ford for the new Mustang, hopefully a new scale hardbody Raptor. That would mean IFS with longer travel to improve on the original. Better steering as it is a known problem. 

What would an IFS CMX look like? Ladder chassis, divorced trans.

Would open the door to some other prerunners and trophy trucks, maybe bring back the hilux kingcab and f150 bodies but in scale. Would also fit with the astute rere and the gearbox commonality with the old monster racers. Repopping bodies for the scale rigs on cc02 allows easy integration into reres of the MR series. 

Just trying to think like an OEM and how to get the most bang from my buck with lots of parts bin cross breeds with a bit of hopeful thinking thrown in.

Here's another pipe dream, if I bring back more modern desert racers on a new chassis why not bring the Blazer back for nostalgia.

• Like 2

I hope it's a real good chassis. It took Tamiya more than 2 decades to update the CC series. They should have done this a long time ago before the real crawlers came out. Now they're left in the game. I've spent so much time, money and effort re-designing the front suspension and improving the steering of my CC-01 (used 3 different brand of aluminum kits until I was satisfied). Although I enjoyed the slow build on mine. However, the new CC-02 still needs a better chassis that can keep up with the class 2 crawlers out of the box. Better suspension travel, better steering, better placement of servo, motor position and battery.

I'm excited either way.  I'd love to see something like a Trailfinder 2 or CMX.  I think Tamiya would have a greater chance of success in that niche vs competing with the likes of Axial, Traxxas, and Associated.

Wow, I've had one of these in my garage since '93, back when they were called the XC-01... I've had a dozen or so over the years, and still have 5. Amigo, Sumo, 2.2 FJ, Range Rover Drift truck and one that's in parts waiting for the next crazy idea.

My wishlist  - please, please keep the IFS. It's what makes it different!  Keep the size right where it is..  More adjustable gearing, better steering and a bit more adjustability on the rear suspension is all I'd be looking for personally. 

Can't wait to see what changes have been made! 

It’s interesting they chose the Mercedes G500 as the first shell, did you know the 2019 G500 is the first Mercedes G wagon with IFS and 5 bar rear suspension. (All previous g wagons had solid bar suspension front and rear) 

It’d seem a bit ironic if Tamiya gave up the IFS yet the first shell they deliver is ment to be IFS!! 

A passing thought, if they keep the ifs, but improve the rear linkage, do some forward thinking with the chassis it’d be suitable for scale desert trucks and buggy’s in addition to scale crawlers. 

The chassis would also be better for modern midsize pickups (we call the utility’s or “utes” in australia) IE: Ford ranger, Mazda BT50 Isuzu DMAX Toyota Hilux etc.

Juls

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

The chassis would also be better for modern midsize pickups (we call the utility’s or “utes” in australia) IE: Ford ranger, Mazda BT50 Isuzu DMAX Toyota Hilux etc.

I knew I'd been keeping the Hilux extra-cab body I bought for a reason! This new chassis is just the ticket.

(I'm in Australia, too, and plan on building it as a Toyota Hilux Rugged X in the orange colour called Inferno that Toyota do)

2018-Toyota-HiLux-Rugged-X.jpg

• Like 2

I agree with the comments above - and I'm pretty sure any CC chassis update will retain the independent front suspension layout... (and leave a front live axle alternative as an update to the CR chassis as Turnip suggested).

Hopefully they'll retain the basic body-tub idea - there is nothing wrong with that once it's covered with an interior and a decent shell - and not least as the moulded inner wheel-arches (of the CC-01) are something only other brands have caught onto recently really... Perhaps having moulded [ladder] chassis detail underneath would be a cost-effective compromise towards more scale realism?

I would certainly like to see them slim down the front end of the chassis - get ride of the brick and allow a wider range of skid-plates and front bumpers to be fitted. 

Similarly, make the wishbones themselves slimmer and more scale looking (would aluminium be too much to ask for?), and the same for the rear axle and trailing arms... even if these are ultimately hop-up parts perhaps?

Looking forward to seeing what is revealed in due course!

Jenny x

• Like 1

Oh, sure, I get a CC01 only a month ago... and they just had to make CC02 now?    

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Oh, sure, I get a CC01 only a month ago... and they just had to make CC02 now?    

Thats funny, since CC01 was released so long ago...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

If it was in 1993 with the 58132 Pajero, wasn't that the same year as the F103 release with the Lotus 107B? We didn't even get a 15th anniversary edition CC01, much less a 20th or any cool special editions....

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I only knew about it from March of this year!  Totally unfair!  Shouldn't somebody have told me about these things?!  

(lol... I'm kidding, of course.)  

I just realized that there is a horrible possibility....

7EoKVmp.jpg

"There. We fixed it."  

Nah... they wouldn't do that to us....

or could they?  

Current CC01 driver candidate is a giant... but she might do (because she's an anime character).    

r8RfaWs.jpg

(below dude is there for size comparison)

8OVhHV9.jpg

If I were developing CC02, I would have used below as a point of reference. 

I don't mind IFS, if it is a bit freer, though that'd be difficult.  

(I did not realize how much the ladder frame flexes. Front bumper is tilting left, the rear bumper would be tilting right.  That's quite a bit of a frame twist.)   

nbaO2eH.jpg

• Like 2