dc-arena

CC-02 Cross Country chassis

There was an old article on Tamiyausa (can't find it now) about CC-01 mods that utilized the TL-01LA front arms and knuckles. It would be a welcome upgrade besides simply narrowing the front block. 

2 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

There was an old article on Tamiyausa (can't find it now) about CC-01 mods that utilized the TL-01LA front arms and knuckles. It would be a welcome upgrade besides simply narrowing the front block. 

I did this mod to one of my cc01’s. It was completely pointless as it reduced the potential travel and reduced the potential steering at the same time over the stock setup. 

(That is compared to doing a small amount of grinding on the stock parts. )

Adding clearance up front is necessary for sure. 

Juls

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 8:59 PM, geniusanthony said:

Would open the door to some other prerunners and trophy trucks, maybe bring back the hilux kingcab and f150 bodies but in scale.

Funny you should mention this! MST has a Hilux body coming which looks like an upscaled version of Tamiya's Monster Racer/Prerunner body. It will come on both the MTX-1 and CMX chassis, so both 280mm and 267mm wheelbases are stated. The actual wheelbase of the body is unknown to me, but I fear it will be 267mm'ish, but hope for 280mm. I don't know the wheelbase of Iron "Ironman" Stewart's real car either, but with 280mm, it would be close to the wheelbase of the Tamiya hardbody Hilux, and probably a bit wider too than with a wheelbase of 267mm. 

Anyway, I will buy the MST Hilux body as soon as it becomes available and put it on a suitable Tamiya chassis. Though looking nice, I've always disliked the TA02T for its too small size, relatively poor handling and overall poor performance as a racing truck, and putting the MST Hilux body on for instance the Dirt 4WD ("Hummer") chassis could be more or less what the TA02T-series should have been.

Link to my contemplations about this topic two months ago, so it's apparent that I'm not just making this up after reading your post! :P   MST TH1 body

22 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Funny you should mention this! MST has a Hilux body coming which looks like an upscaled version of Tamiya's Monster Racer/Prerunner body. It will come on both the MTX-1 and CMX chassis, so both 280mm and 267mm wheelbases are stated. The actual wheelbase of the body is unknown to me, but I fear it will be 267mm'ish, but hope for 280mm. I don't know the wheelbase of Iron "Ironman" Stewart's real car either, but with 280mm, it would be close to the wheelbase of the Tamiya hardbody Hilux, and probably a bit wider too than with a wheelbase of 267mm. 

FYI, MCI remakes of the monster racer hilux fit the hardbody great when scaled to 1:9.

It was on the list I just haven't gotten there yet ...to tribute the MR jr on a txt-2 chassis. If you have seen my latest channel videos, the florescent yellow wheels were supposed to be for that truck.

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2019 at 1:36 AM, Juls1 said:

It’s interesting they chose the Mercedes G500 as the first shell, did you know the 2019 G500 is the first Mercedes G wagon with IFS and 5 bar rear suspension. (All previous g wagons had solid bar suspension front and rear) 

It’d seem a bit ironic if Tamiya gave up the IFS yet the first shell they deliver is ment to be IFS!! 

Good point! I still hope for a front live axle though as it's more appropriate for old bodies. 

As for W464 G500 as the first body for the CC-02, it's not what I had chosen if I'd been in charge, but I had a look at varies photos of the W464 and stumbled over the AMG G63, and I'm grateful to Tamiya for going for the more "modest" G500. The G63 is just the right thing for pimps, Russian mafia, criminals in general and for anyone who wants to show that he/she can afford to spend a lot of money on something terribly tasteless and ugly.  And I reckon MB / AMG knows this very well and have chosen the customer target group for the G63 very carefully.

Let's hope we are not horribly disappointed 😔 with what they come up with. Is there a general timescale from this kind of announcement to actual release. Or at least real detail!!!!

On 8/2/2019 at 5:14 PM, geniusanthony said:

I grafted on a set of HPI front arms/knuckles/C's to my trail runner CC01. 8 degrees of caster now, slightly more downtravel and improved steering. Combined with a Vaterra rear axle which underdrives the rear slightly, it now turns so much better. Exactly the kind of changes I'm looking for in a CC02!

35636768503_8f56ec76b4_b.jpg35609528214_5a394194e8_b.jpg

• Like 2

I find myself looking at my CC01 and wondering if I should sell it now and put the money aside for a CC02.  I might wait and see how many hop-ups might be re-used on the CC02.  Other than tyres I hope none of them are necessary though.  I can only imagine the pressure on the designers to create a new CC chassis that could live up to the original.

I remembered I said this earlier in the year.  I didn't really think there was a chance after all this time.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 8:55 AM, dc-arena said:

I just looked on TamiyaBase and it says the CC-01 came out in 1993! Had no idea it had been around for so long.

It was listed as "XC".

Will Tamiya continue to sell cc01 kits alongside the new version? (It does with other chassis types!

if it did we would expect a price drop for the older cc01?

Would you prefer a cheaper price for cc02 because it reuses cc01 parts of more expensive if everything was new?

Do you think a cc02TR version would follow? Which would mean a fixed rear axle would need an option of being lowered to level up with the front? Or is that impractical??

What existing bodies would you prefer to see on future releases....

there is some many questions!

Would a crazy Dynahead gearbox variation be possible to eliminate prop shafts.....the gf01tr would end up being a lesser version!?

3 hours ago, taffer said:

Will Tamiya continue to sell cc01 kits alongside the new version? (It does with other chassis types!

if it did we would expect a price drop for the older cc01?

Would you prefer a cheaper price for cc02 because it reuses cc01 parts of more expensive if everything was new?

Do you think a cc02TR version would follow? Which would mean a fixed rear axle would need an option of being lowered to level up with the front? Or is that impractical??

What existing bodies would you prefer to see on future releases....

there is some many questions!

Would a crazy Dynahead gearbox variation be possible to eliminate prop shafts.....the gf01tr would end up being a lesser version!?

I've been wondering if this will be a CC01 replacement or a much better spec/scale model above it.  I don't think it'd be labelled as a CC or come with a body if it was a kit with reinforced plastics, solid axles and so on like a proper trail/crawler kit.

I'm hoping for a Land Cruiser 80 series body.  An iconic Japanese 4WD with Tamiya attention to detail would have to be a success.  They already have a scale model of it too.

QEX25cp.jpg

• Like 5

Personally I'd rather pay more for all new parts than pay less for re-using the CC01 parts.  However I'm seeing this being an evolution of the CC01 and so I wouldn't be suprised if the CC01 disappeared (it's possible they'd shift factory production from CC01 to CC02, instead of having to gear up a second production line for the CC02.)

The tub chassis and rear axle from the CC01 are great ideas but unfortunately are inherently flawed.  If they use the same tub then we'll likely see the same poor steering arrangement (although possibly with metal parts and proper bearings).  If they use the same rear axle then we'd have to do the same float fix.  Although they could address these issues if they modified the designs just slightly.

I'm really excited to see what comes out but not holding my breath - it could be a truly awesome little trail truck with all the character and capability of the CC01 with none of the flaws; it could be an all new ladder chassis design to compete with the SCX10 et al (although I very much doubt it), or it could be another poorly-executed parts bin special that looks OK in the photos but can't be used without modification.

Time will tell - I'm excited :D

• Like 3

I’m hoping for a ground up redesign. Anything less I’ll be disappointed. 

I’m also hoping it’s not just a TL01/MF01X with the new reduction drives off the G601TR. 

In fact I’m struggling to imagine what they will do, cause it’s a market that’s well saturated, they need to make something different to everyone else, but it’s gotta be decent too not a cheap thingy.

I would actually be happy with a completely rebuilt and modernized CC01, all new design, but keep the IFS/solid rear. Because the other options can be bought a million times over elsewhere. 

I would be quite happy if the CC02 was more expensive but a better quality kit. Let’s face it, there is plenty of other options out there that are double, triple and even quadruple the cost of the current CC01 kits. 

• Like 2

Confirmed actual sales price in Germany (58675 MB G500, CC-02); EUR220.00

(Based on experience, suggested retail price will probably be EUR 240-260.)

• Like 1

That sounds quite a bit more than a CC01 but someone in Europe might like to chime in on that. 

If it is a lot more money, then hopefully we can expect a lot better car.

Hmm...  Could it be an expensive rehash with portal axles or could it be aimed towards the more expensive proper scaler market..?

20 hours ago, Juls1 said:

That sounds quite a bit more than a CC01 but someone in Europe might like to chime in on that. 

If it is a lot more money, then hopefully we can expect a lot better car.

It's difficult to estimate, but I've given it a try. This is of course no scientific analysis, but hopefully at least it gives us a rough estimate.

I've checked all the suggested retail prices for CC-01 kits new enough to be generally available, which quite well ensures that market prices haven't increased due to "rarity". What I call "typical sales prices" below are exactly that. Not necessarily the cheapest source, but about an average of what to expect to pay if not deliberately searching for the cheapest source. All prices listed below actually were xx9,99 or xx4,99, so for clarity, I rounded up and removed the decimals. 

When I estimated the suggested retail price for the CC-02 to 240-260 Euro, it was based on the general experience that Tamiya kits sell for about 15% below suggested retail price in Germany. I case of the selection below, it's actually 21%, but the statistical population is too small to be fully representative and also, some of the lowest prices might be the result of the kits not being particularly good sellers and having been on the market for quite a long time, thus have been reduced more than the average Tamiya RC kit. Also, the suggested retail prices are influenced by the the JPY/EUR rate at the time of importing. Furthermore, licensing cost surely plays a role, kits with license free bodies and bodies of Japanese vehicles generally allowing for lower prices than kits with "foreign" bodies.

So, with this taken into consideration, which suggested retail price can we expect the (58675) CC-02 to have? (in Germany. Sorry, converting to your country's suggested retail price is left to you.) 

Well, with an announced actual sales price of 219.99, the suggested retail price will be about EUR277 when taking the average discounted price of CC-01 kits into consideration.  Considering that the first CC-02 comes with a (licensed) Mercedes body, the prices of the Mercedes-bodied CC-01 kits might be more relevant. If so, about EUR242 can be expected. I reckon reality will be anywhere between 240 and 280.

Furthermore, when considering that the average suggested retail price of available CC-01 kits is EUR219, the CC-02 is calculated to be about 26% more expensive, and in case of Mercedes-bodied kits, the (58675) CC-02 would actually be 9% below the CC-01 kits. In other words, there's a lot of uncertainty involved. Either way, I think it's safe to say that the CC-02 won't be significantly more expensive than the CC-01. In my humble opinion, this pretty much excludes the possibility of a metal frame, portal axles, included RC-operated diff-locks and other high cost features. (Portal axles made the G6-01TR and GF-01TR about 40% more expensive than the G6-01 and GF-01).

67789856_10156127203412407_8040916189636

• Like 1

My shot in the dark is a new plastic tub and a pair of reworked CC01 axles.  The new tub might have a smaller center gearbox, improved steering, and frame rails molded into it.  The axles might be narrower to allow for either straight or steering ends bolted on.  Maybe trailing arms, panhard rods, and coil springs/dampers as well.  Think of the front as a copy of the rear.

It just seems like they won't stray much from what a CC01 is, but will update it to be closer to the solid axle, metal frame rail offerings of other manufacturers.  They may very well keep the CC01 around for the IFS, but bring out the CC02 to complement it with solid axles.  They still release TT01E kits even though the TT02 is available.

I'd expect predominantly parts bin engineering with the exception of the tub and axle housings.  Any extra cost is going to a second axle and paying back new mold costs.

That's my guess... :lol:

• Like 3

Given that they have chosen to release it with a shell representing an IFS-equipped fullsize car, I suspect that it will retain the IFS of its predecessor. Other than that I'd tend to agree with the above. New tub with improved steering, moulded-in frame rails, more of an evolutionary design than a revolutionary one. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

• Like 2

a slightly modified list from a 2005 topic about a cc-02 possibility

1. a separate gearbox (and not the tub/gearbox combination of CC-01).

2. better steering mechanism with bushings upgradeable to ball bearings.

3. Adjustable upper rear shock mounts.

4. better front body mount (for the hardbody versions).

5. ideally more suspension travel, long shock upgrade kit.

6. Double set of "diff lockers" included on parts tree or cr-01 diff locking pins?.

7. the possibility of an even longer LWB-version (than Touareg/CR-V), to have a suitable chassis for some of the old hardbodies.

8. realistic, but somewhat more aggressive tire pattern.

9. waterproof electrics box or a lexan chassis cover (chassis cover could double as a simple interior?)

10. If it is a tub chassis then minimal self tappers used, hopefully more nut/bolt fixtures

11. a modified cc-01 tub with extra chassis spacers to increase or shorten length but to enable 4 link setup to stay the same?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey Tamiya, if you're listening, and you want ideas for new bodies for this chassis, I have two words for you. Ready?

Lada Niva.

Hard plastic, please. Come on, you know you want to...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Hey Tamiya, if you're listening, and you want ideas for new bodies for this chassis, I have two words for you. Ready?

Lada Niva.

Hard plastic, please. Come on, you know you want to...

It's a great idea but Russia and Japan don't really get on? So it would make it less likely? Possibly...

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Hey Tamiya, if you're listening, and you want ideas for new bodies for this chassis...

Also just in case they are listening, if this new model retains the IFS + solid axle layout, I would like a 

Nissan Patrol

Ranger Raptor

Hardbodys with included lexan shell a la Subaru Brat .

• Like 3

4 hours ago, taffer said:

It's a great idea but Russia and Japan don't really get on? So it would make it less likely? Possibly...

Tamiya makes a butt load of Russian tanks though...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1