dc-arena

CC-02 Cross Country chassis

On 8/10/2019 at 8:48 AM, speedy_w_beans said:

My shot in the dark is a new plastic tub and a pair of reworked CC01 axles.  The new tub might have a smaller center gearbox, improved steering, and frame rails molded into it.  The axles might be narrower to allow for either straight or steering ends bolted on.  Maybe trailing arms, panhard rods, and coil springs/dampers as well.  Think of the front as a copy of the rear.

It just seems like they won't stray much from what a CC01 is, but will update it to be closer to the solid axle, metal frame rail offerings of other manufacturers.  They may very well keep the CC01 around for the IFS, but bring out the CC02 to complement it with solid axles.  They still release TT01E kits even though the TT02 is available.

I'd expect predominantly parts bin engineering with the exception of the tub and axle housings.  Any extra cost is going to a second axle and paying back new mold costs.

That's my guess... :lol:

On 8/27/2019 at 11:40 AM, Mokei Kagaku said:

69657986_2216114431848814_56744013213487

I'm starting to feel smug...  B)

Am I right?  What did I win?  :lol:

• Haha 3

I'm going to stick to my guns and predict that it will be either/or for the front end...

10 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

improved steering

Well, they'd have to really go out of their way to make it any worse.  :lol:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I'm going to stick to my guns and predict that it will be either/or for the front end...

I really hope you are right...

Have to say I’m disappointed it’s not ifs, I’d be blown away if it was convertible but I find it hard to believe that’d happen 

All sounds very good to me. I Guess bushings are still the norm. Definitely going to give this one a go.

This is the segment that I think they have the best chance of success.  Smaller than SCX10 and the like.  Seems to go directly against the MST CMX, which by all accounts is an excellent chassis in it's own right so could be tough to beat.  I'm interested in more details as they come out.

About the Model
  • This is a 1/10 scale R/C model assembly kit. Length: 455mm, width: 196mm, height: 207mm. Wheelbase: 267mm.
  • The boxy form of the G 500 is recreated accurately in polycarbonate, with separately moulded parts included for the front grille, side mirrors and spare tire cover.
  • Designed for a wide range of off-road scenes including rocky terrain, the CC-02 chassis’ ladder frame is inspired by full-size vehicles and is the base for its superior durability.
  • A 4WD setup employs the motor longitudinally behind the front axle, with separated gearbox and transfer case, and propeller shafts transmitting power to the differential gears front and rear.
  • Twenty gear ratios (Yes 20!) between 11.09:1 and 29.28:1 are possible using separately sold pinion gears, for fine-tuning!
  • 4-link rigid suspension is employed front and rear, with CVA oil dampers.

Wow! Big deal!

With the price Tamiya is asking for their kits, this new CC-02 should at least have aluminum threaded dampers instead of those plastic CVAs.

I’m kinda disapointed, I’ll prob buy one anyway. I hope Tamiya put some effort into this thing. And no bearings as standard? FFS.. 

On 8/27/2019 at 5:19 PM, TurnipJF said:

Okay, so they appear to have chosen the first G-wagen to feature IFS, and put it on the first CC to feature a solid axle up front? Why??

That was exactly my first thought on seeing the picture too! Why indeed?!

Yeah, I'm not really sure the point of this car.

Why not keep the uniqueness (IFS) but improve the MASSIVE weakpoint - the steering.

I have a MST CMX, I can't see the advantage of upgrading to this, but if it had been an improvement on the CC01 I'd totally get it - I have 2 bodies that are both IFS/solid rear axle.

I wonder is it using long CVA dampers? If not, potentially it’ll have hardly any flex. 

On 8/27/2019 at 10:19 AM, TurnipJF said:

Okay, so they appear to have chosen the first G-wagen to feature IFS, and put it on the first CC to feature a solid axle up front? Why??

Exactly! And why did they do Unimogs on the IFS chassis? I think the new Suzuki Jimny would be a great choice. I hope they do one of those on the CC02.

I'm looking at it more like, there's a new body to put on my cc01 and a new solid axle chassis to put under my defender 90 body. Best of both worlds if I'm not mistaken!😁

• Like 3

They'd have to really blow me away with their steering, transmission and axles with the CC02.  Otherwise, I'd probably do the usual stick a CC01/02 body on a MST CMX/CFX which are fantastic trucks.

The only thing I can think of that might make this unique to the CMX/CFX is chassis mounted steering setup with a panhard, which I doubt it has.

• Like 1

Hmm...  Interesting...  Looks like a direct competitor to the CMX but it's either got to match the performance or undercut the price.  Is it wrong that I'm sceptical on both counts..?

• Like 2

As a Tamiya fan, I don't care if it's better than competitors or not, none of my collection was ever the best performing or cheapest to a degree.

Whatever it turns out to be.....

it won't be a bargain....

it will be ok performance

it will have plastic parts

it will have metal hopups

it will be an enjoyable build whatever...

if we are lucky then we may get

Steel or hardened pinion

metal motor plate

some ball bearings

adjustable wheelbase inc. in the kit

a drawing on the front of the box instead of a picture

a proper manual instead of a chassis generic one

IFS hopup (this would surely kill off the cc-01 though!?)

What I don't like is over use of step screws! bring back bolts,nuts and/or link pins

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Idaho said:

Exactly! And why did they do Unimogs on the IFS chassis? I think the new Suzuki Jimny would be a great choice. I hope they do one of those on the CC02.

Sooner or later they're bound to release some cars that are meant to have a solid front axle on the CC02 (even if, for some crazy reason, they take no account of realism and it's just coincidence if they get it right!). At that point, assuming it's a good chassis, I'm interested!

Until now IFS on the CC01 with bodies that are meant to have live front axles has kept my wallet safe on the CC front!

My minds already ticking what gearbox can I jimmy into the front of it to make it ifs :lol:

supply us the manual already haha

• Haha 1