dc-arena

CC-02 Cross Country chassis

1 hour ago, Juls1 said:

My minds already ticking what gearbox can I jimmy into the front of it to make it ifs :lol:

cc01 ;)

13 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

69443140_2219378458189078_73886917031310

69382475_2219378494855741_76939665410327    69155194_2219378541522403_73304976364593  

Nice! - should be easy enough to change wheelbases with just longer (or shorter) radius arms - particularly as I see the chassis already has alternative holes for the shock tower location too...

I looks a bit plastic-y as stock, but I'm sure there will be some aluminium upgrades - steering track-rod and lower links for example? This is certainly Tamiya's most realistic looking chassis yet though - and very much inspired by the CMX/FMX after-all by the look of it - and why not of course?!

Good work Tamiya!

Jx

ps. they HAVE to release this with the Blackfoot body - that would be a killer trail-truck!

• Like 8

That’s torn it. I really do want one now. If only to force me to understand gear ratios. 

• Like 2

Not a fan of the Mercedes lexan effort. Would love to see this with the original stepside XLT hard body & decals tho!

• Like 1

Huh... well, I confess, I'm disappointed. It looks exactly like every other scale/trail chassis on the market. They're about five years behind the times with this, I feel. Unless there are some hidden cool features of the chassis I'm not seeing, the only reason I can see to buy this over anything else is if you absolutely must have a Tamiya logo on the box.

That said... if they don't re-introduce the old hard body Jeep YJ on this chassis, they're fools. This is what we all wanted under that body to begin with. And that body with this chassis might make me spring for it. Otherwise, I'll stick with my trusty ECX Barrage.

• Like 2

Although the pics are black and white, the CVA shocks look lighter?

White or grey ones (super astute)?

Looks to have a waterproof receiver box.

Lower shock mounts don't look great? 

Need more pics!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

That said... if they don't re-introduce the old hard body Jeep YJ on this chassis, they're fools. This is what we all wanted under that body to begin with. And that body with this chassis might make me spring for it. 

That is bound to happen. If only because I started buying all the bit for a GCM Skeleton JK Jeep. 

2 hours ago, JennyMo said:

ps. they HAVE to release this with the Blackfoot body - that would be a killer trail-truck!

I'd buy that for sure!

Alternatively a short wheelbase version using the Brat body would be kinda cool.

• Like 1

Looks like a squished CR01 to me.  Similar chassis rails, similar four link suspension, axles defined by what is attached on the ends, and a non-cantilever suspension setup.  I guess the question is, how many variations of a truck chassis are there, really?  This looks like it will serve the purpose just fine.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

tyres look familiar

Yep and the wheels are from the Merc G320 mf-01x model

• Sad 1

seem to have carefully hidden the steering mechanism from any of the shots???

• Haha 2

Possibly no diff lock by grub screw like the cr-01? 

25 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

seem to have carefully hidden the steering mechanism from any of the shots???

In the first pic, looks like a horizontally chassis mounted servo and two links?

I imagine we'll see all the CC01/CR01 bodies slapped on this at some time. Body type aside, speaking purely on the mechanicals of the chassis, I'm surprised to see folks wanting IFS. For years I've read complaints about the limiting factors of the IFS are on the CC01 and how it can only be modded/lifted so far for trail crawling. Now, Tamiya brings a solid front axle to the party (albeit way late) and folks want IFS back. Not too offend anyone, but I'm baffled. I guess you can only please some people some of the time...

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

I see a front mounted steering servo,

Lower links look less flexible than current model,

Lots of wheelbase adjustment at upper mounts,

Room in front knuckles for portals,

Lower link attachments hang low, but no lower than center pumpkin.

Lots of plastic which will take impacts much more resiliently, stock form should be excellent for a newcomer. Teach building skills and self repair.

I think that I like it, I want one. Almost looks like a  universal 4wd chassis with a lot of crossover.

Side note, CR/TLT axle sets are still available as a separate kit. If you wanted wider and 2.2s maybe...

• Like 2

well, that was a much better upgrade than I was expecting. Call me a sucker, but this will be on my to buy list. Although not keen on the Merc body.

I wonder if they'll keep the CC01 around.

If Tamiya have any sense they will send a new kit in advance to matteo so he can build and make a great running video ready for launch!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, markbt73 said:

They're about five years behind the times

Well said. 

I'd only get it if it's cheaper than MST CMX/CFX.  No, wait.  This looks like they have diffs. Then I'd pay $10-$20 more (though true crawler folks would simply lock them).  

I hate to say this but to me it looks like those cheap china toy crawlers!! everything big and bulky and hanging low... tamiya sorry your way far behind and need new designers!

• Haha 1

I like it and there's plenty of potential hop-ups.  Hopefully Tamiya have worked out how to get plenty of steering angle (and no slop) or even make four wheel steering possible.

I was quietly hoping for a nice IFS model for a re-release of the Honda CRV, but this is a better direction I think.  I just have to work out whether I keep my CC01 or not now.

The only real disappointment here is they're still using the same old tyres.

• Like 1