dc-arena

CC-02 Cross Country chassis

22 hours ago, Juggular said:

Differentials in the central tube would be nearly impossible with an RC version. 

It is possible, there are homemade 1:14 scale replicas of chassis with functional diffs. But I'm not sure what's their lifespan, it'd definitely need hardened steel gears, which wouldn't be cheap (those replicas I'm talking about cost several times as much as Tamiya RC trucks)

But there's another solution - Pinzgauer is based of same idea, but it has bevel differential between axle bevels, which might by usable in RC.

I think that Tatra concept would be great for Tamiya, since it uses lot of duplicate parts, which is ideal for plastic model. But since it's used by single truck manufacturer, it doesn't make much sense to produce it..

• Thanks 1

This looks interesting:

• Includes: Tamiya TBLE-02S ESC (electronic speed control) Capable of running sensor brushless motors and brushed motors alike. (21.5 Turn BL motor limit) (23 Turn brushed motor limit.

Note the motor limit. Do we think this is because the chassis has more drivetrain drag or weight than usual so stresses the ESC? Have Tamiya reconsidered the spec of the TBLE-02 for all models? Or is it simply a typo?

It’s a typo, myn will be getting a hobbywing WP-Crawler esc. 

I suggest everyone else does the same. With that 29:1 ratio a stock 540 should be slow enough! But I’ll prob change it to something that’s slower and can handle 3s.

I think it looks pretty good. I know it could be considered to be more conventional and less interesting but we all know this basic layout gives a good compromise between ability and scale looks and I'm not going to complain about tamiya making stuff that's more competitive dynamically.

One thing that pleases me is that there is a lot of new plastic being used here.

Does this mean we might begin to see more new designs with less parts bin recycling soon?

A new MT type platform maybe? Maybe a new Wild Dagger type platform but with decent front kickup etc...no, don't do it. Don't get your hopes up.

Weird but suddenly I'm feeling nostalgic for the cc-01!

I've been looking at the hilux extra cab because it's the latest release thinking if this is the last ever release, should I get it???? 

seems crazy?

I've only read the last few pages, but I wonder if this isn't tamiya "dipping their toe in the water", so to speak.

it looks like the chassis is a little nondescript, which would make changes to suspension, drivetrain and body adaptability easier.

i do wonder why the axle truss is on the bottom though.

Nice to see already model number 47441 cc-02 with pre-painted g500 body

its coming up to winter when released, so a nice option to get up and running without waiting for good paint spraying conditions plus tamiya do a great job of painting!

thanks to @Mokei Kagaku for this info 

Edited by taffer
giving credit where due
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, makya said:

I've only read the last few pages, but I wonder if this isn't tamiya "dipping their toe in the water", so to speak.

it looks like the chassis is a little nondescript, which would make changes to suspension, drivetrain and body adaptability easier.

i do wonder why the axle truss is on the bottom though.

Isn't the idea for that it is stronger that way? (tougher over obstacles) how tamiya seemingly have done it means it doesn't look like it will impact on performance?

6 hours ago, taffer said:

Isn't the idea for that it is stronger that way? (tougher over obstacles) how tamiya seemingly have done it means it doesn't look like it will impact on performance?

Not necessarily.  The way that we add trusses to full size rockcrawlers, is on the top, and across the front or back if the axle has a pull out 3rd member like the Ford 9 inch.  Some still put small braces across the bottom, but not big, just enough to fight separation at the connection of the axle tubes to the center section be cause they are separate pieces.

With r/c cars,  the housing are molded with the center section and tubes together, so that adds some strength already. As for the truss; think of the axle like a door. You, as the force working against it, want to push the door open. Will you find more resistance with the door boarded up on the opposite side of your force, or boarded up on the same side?

• Like 1

Well you know Tamiya! They always like to buck trends and go their own way!? 😁

39 minutes ago, makya said:

Not necessarily.  The way that we add trusses to full size rockcrawlers, is on the top, and across the front or back if the axle has a pull out 3rd member like the Ford 9 inch.  Some still put small braces across the bottom, but not big, just enough to fight separation at the connection of the axle tubes to the center section be cause they are separate pieces.

With r/c cars,  the housing are molded with the center section and tubes together, so that adds some strength already. As for the truss; think of the axle like a door. You, as the force working against it, want to push the door open. Will you find more resistance with the door boarded up on the opposite side of your force, or boarded up on the same side?

Nice analogy 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, taffer said:

Well you know Tamiya! They always like to buck trends and go their own way!? 😁

How true! My first r/c was the original Pajero on 1985, which was odd compared to the buggies and trucks of the day.

I would be really happy though, if they found enough interest to build a TRF-level scale crawler. 

Maybe if this proves popular, who knows they may quickly expand the range!? 😁

• Like 1

The axles look like they're upside down with the trusses at the bottom.  I wonder if it's an assembly error.  It looks like you might be able to flip the axle and relocate the link mounts to the other side too.

4 minutes ago, khyzersoze said:

The axles look like they're upside down with the trusses at the bottom.  I wonder if it's an assembly error.  It looks like you might be able to flip the axle and relocate the link mounts to the other side too.

I agree...I was just about to post the same.

12 hours ago, taffer said:

Maybe if this proves popular, who knows they may quickly expand the range!? 😁

Yes, I would personally love a 6x6 Dakar racing truck based off this platform!

• Like 2

Confirmed content of 54910 CC-02 Full Ball Bearing Set:

16 pcs. 1150

2 pcs. 850

2 pcs. 1260

2 pcs. 1510

70002021_2249284371865153_73009904294517

My guess how they are used:

Rear axle: 6 pcs. 1150

Front axle: 6 pcs. 1150

Uprights: 1 pc. 1260 and 1 pc. 1510 each (like CC-01)

Gearbox: 4 pcs. 1150 and 2 pcs. 850 (judging by the available "x-ray" view of the gearbox, it uses 6 bearings of partially different sizes)

In other words: no ball bearings included in the car kit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, tpliquid1 said:

tamiya usa fb post :

spacer.png

Yay. Phillips' head screws. C'mon Tamiya.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tpliquid1 said:

tamiya usa fb post :

spacer.png

Looks rigid. Are the side frames made of metal/steel?

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

Looks rigid. Are the side frames made of metal/steel?

Nope looks like plastic as you can see the white colored marks from the spot they trimmed them off a parts tree.

Tamiya will release blue, white and red plastic rails.

And later some blue aluminium ones.

And then silver aluminium ones.

And then some "special edition" black aluminium ones.

And you'll all buy them.  :lol:

Edit: here's the latest instagram photos

JuaXXZz.jpg

pX4MA0t.jpg

tfgTsVG.jpg

qxwlH7w.jpg

uy9dt86.jpg

• Like 4