dc-arena

CC-02 Cross Country chassis

I dunno, I kinda like it. I ride Tamiya pretty hard sometimes about reusing a chassis over and over for years on end. This CC02 however is a fresh new product. Looks like a fun build too. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Blista said:

Interesting that the stock kit comes with a 16T pinion.  I had thought that they would use maybe a 20T or higher for the stock kit, which is typically going to be faster than is actually useful off road, and then enable people to slow it down for trail driving with a 16T.

iGHFjR5.jpg

Those parts shouldn't even be hop-ups. Those should be standard. It irks me that Tamiya is still about money making. Releasing kits in all plastic and the consumer/user would be obliged to upgrade ending up spending more than the actual kit cost. The reason why more Tamiya users opt for aftermarket parts like Yeah Racing, 3Racing, GPM, Xtra Speed, Hot Racing, Exotek, and many others is because these are cheaper options (50-60% less of the cost of original Tamiya hop-up) and sometimes even better designed. 

• Like 2

I hated Minimum Ad Price thing.  I don't mind plastic parts because it's making things cheap. 

It's a way to throw bones at us.  We get hooked. Then we realize that we need stronger parts.  If Tamiya supplied all metal parts, CC02 could be as expensive as other brands. (I think the price jack up was a test to see if Tamiya could go in the direction of high margin. It failed, in my opinion)

This is the way back.  We get a bare kit at the lowest price.  If we want, we can use Yeah Racing, GPM, etc, at cheaper price than Tamiya option parts.  It's easy to think that Tamiya is losing parts-sales to Hong Kong makers.  I'd say it's Tamiy's plan.

I think Tamiya likes to cast the widest net, even if it means losing some business to Hong Kong parts makers.  If Tamiya could sell 2 kits at $50 profit, instead of selling 1 kit at $90 profit, it's a win for Tamiya.  Less margin, more volume... it's a good way to stay big, globally.  Few optional parts sales is not a loss, it's icing on top. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

If Tamiya could sell 2 kits at $50 profit, instead of selling 1 kit at $90 profit, it's a win for Tamiya.  Less margin, more volume... it's a good way to stay big, globally.

I would love to see the impact on sales numbers here in the US through LHS distribution. Tamiya was virtually absent from the LHS before MAP except for the random re-re someone might grab on a whim. At MAP prices, that stock has to collect dust because any savvy person that's dead-set on a Tamiya is going online to get significantly better price.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 4:50 AM, Nicadraus said:

Those parts shouldn't even be hop-ups. Those should be standard. It irks me that Tamiya is still about money making. Releasing kits in all plastic and the consumer/user would be obliged to upgrade ending up spending more than the actual kit cost. 

It's almost as if Tamiya have some kind of legacy for making plastic models? :unsure:

It's no surprise whatsoever therefore that the model is made of plastic wherever possible.

Excuse the sarcasm.

Anyways, just pre-ordered mine and noticed the earlier-announced 'J Parts Body Mounts - 51634' are merely straightforward body posts. Wonder whether there will be an official body mount for the older hard-bodies or if a third-party manufacturer will get a product on the market before Tamiya :huh:

So manual is out, official video is on YT, looks good!

Still not sure about plastic pivot balls and screws going into the plastic brackets that hold the lower links in.....

Whose still getting one!?

I'm still keen to get one, but I think I'll hold off until it is available with a more appropriate shell and the aftermarket hop up industry has given us more options. 

• Like 1

I think the chassis itself is very cute and an excellent successor to the CC01. I like the design and by looks the material looks like good modern Tamiya quality. It's a promising base and I look forward to seeing what people come up with!

The bits I don't like so much are the price point and the body shell. The price (UK) is quite literally double what I'd want to pay for that. Even with the twin star magic blinkers I know I could buy a scx10 kit and a fair chunk of running gear for that kind of money.

The shell does nothing for me, I'm not a Mercedes fan at all but that's a real ugly beggar. Absolutely zero charm and likewise for style. Horrible pick for a flagship body in my opinion. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hobgoblin said:

I think the chassis itself is very cute and an excellent successor to the CC01. I like the design and by looks the material looks like good modern Tamiya quality. It's a promising base and I look forward to seeing what people come up with!

The bits I don't like so much are the price point and the body shell. The price (UK) is quite literally double what I'd want to pay for that. Even with the twin star magic blinkers I know I could buy a scx10 kit and a fair chunk of running gear for that kind of money.

The shell does nothing for me, I'm not a Mercedes fan at all but that's a real ugly beggar. Absolutely zero charm and likewise for style. Horrible pick for a flagship body in my opinion. 

Agree with you 100 percent, especially the choice of body to release first. 

I’m not happy with the body either, but it can be changed. My CC01 has had multiple variations over the last 15 odd years. I figure I can drop the G wagon on my CC01 where it actually belongs. Pickup something more suitable for the CC02. 

I'm planning to buy one for the drive train. There is no proper narrow axle on the market, especially with differential.

I agree that Mercedes body looks horrible and I hope that their next body wont be VW Amarok.

• Like 1

Still unsure about this.  Part of me wants to have a Tamiya scale rig but part of me things the MST will be cheaper and perform better, if I'm going to build a truescale rig.

The fact that I'd have to get a different body and replace the plasticy tires it comes with right away is a turn off.  I don't mind buying hop ups but those stock tires are garbage.  It all just adds to the price.

4 hours ago, taffer said:

Lock front and rear diff? Or just rear?

You can lock both, it comes with the parts to do it stock, unlike CC01 where you had to buy another gear sprue to get another locker (Or fill the front diff with glue or something).

I tried locking my front diff with the diff locker and whenever it full steers, it destroys the pins of the dogbone. So I just applied a lot AWG in the diff. Much better now than locking it completely. I also did the same to the rear diff.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I tried locking my front diff with the diff locker and whenever it full steers, it destroys the pins of the dogbone. So I just applied a lot AWG in the diff. Much better now than locking it completely. I also did the same to the rear diff.

What you did sounds very prudent because that's what I was afraid of.  The bigger the wheels, the worse for the dog bones. (also on high traction areas)

Mine came locked, so I had to buy gears.  I think I'll use diff clay.  Even when the diff is unloaded, the clay should give about 60-70% of the strength.  I am on the fence about leaving the rear locked. (but I did buy gears for the rear too)  

Can’t say I’ve ever had a issue with dogbones and I run very extended travel and extra steering throw through extensive cutting and grinding modifications. Also using very very sticky and soft rc4wd tires, only thing I can think of is my max speed is limited to about 15-20km/h with a 45t motor on 16T pinion.

I generally only crawl/trail drive. Run stock locker  front and back basically the entire 15 odd years I’ve run them, while I don’t run them fast I’m never, not ever, gentle with it. it does go just fast enough to do donuts on gravel, that tends to happen at least once an outing.

Battery’s typically last an hour, it’s not unusual to flatten 2 battery’s an outing. Always been amazed at the reliability often doing 15-20 hours before any substantial maintainence. I’ve always put this down to the overall slow pace as much as anything else. 

only thing I do with my dogbones is keep them shimmed with foam rubber or o rings to make sure they can’t pop out too far at either end and be damaged or damage the cups. 

im expecting the CC02 to give me the same reliability my well sorted CC01‘s have.

Ive never ever had any problems with the drivetrain from both diffs being locked, I’ve always run rc4wd dick cipek fun country 2.0 1.9’s which are quite big, very soft, very sticky. IME the drivetrain has been very solid. If i ever had reliability issues they got sorted the first time they showed up, it’s been so long maybe I don’t remember them or how I fixed them.. dunno. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 3:31 AM, Mad Ax said:

Still unsure about this.  Part of me wants to have a Tamiya scale rig but part of me things the MST will be cheaper and perform better, if I'm going to build a truescale rig.

I know what you mean Mad' - I'd like to build something based around this chassis just to prove it can be done, but I can't help thinking that if you want something 'true scale' you'd still be better off with an MST and a Tamiya hard-body of some kind...

Although if you're looking for a real budget option, I saw this on Ebay recently - I'm really tempted to take a punt on one of these just to see what the quality is like - you could spend almost that much on alloy wheels and tyres alone!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Truck-Rolling-CHASSIS-Assembled-Crawler-Chassis-w-Metal-Parts-325mm/193133607409

note. This has a 325mm wheelbase, so is more SCX10 size than the MST chassis.

Jx

• Like 1

Interesting to hear various viewpoints on this kit.

Rightly to a point; people who experience other manufacturers kits/models seem more judgemental and critical before experiencing the kit.

The more 'biased' Tamiya fan (like myself) offer up more excitement of this kit (even though a few of us are not keen on the body), because I have recently been reflecting on what, in the past, I have enjoyed most about kits....

One of these 'moments' have been to purchase,build,run and diagnose issues within the tamiyaclub community. A few of these models I no longer own but I can still look back with affection of the time spent with them. With the df-03 it took about 6 months before spares became available which is the frustration part of my argument.

So to conclude, because I'm beginning to waffle on a bit, I either wait six months and hope a better body is released and any issues have been discussed and solved OR

Jump in at the beginning, run it in the bad weather of the winter months, finding out a lot about it by myself (which I accept I may not like and sell it on, who knows!?)

I have decided on the latter option!

• Like 2

Ok, now that I've seen the manual, a few observations...

1. Tamiya has been studying the market closely, and learning some lessons: the through-pins for the U-joints instead of setscrews on flats are a nice touch, as is the provision for a slipper clutch in the gearbox.

2. This thing is meant to be modular. Expect a bunch of different wheelbases, attachment point for the old hard bodies, and I'm still holding out for a bolt-on IFS arrangement (I think the upright servo option is a clue there).

3. They need to offer a chassis-only version, with bearings and at least a couple wheelbase options, if they want this thing to be relevant. But it definitely could be; all the elements are there.

• Like 7

I'm currently planning a jeep body build. Getting all the major parts together before I do anything but it would sit very nicely on this chassis. I like the chassis, probably still more a trail/off-road rig than an out and out rock crawler but looks promising. The body however is a different matter, it's just not right. There are so many bodies(even if they have to be polycarbonate) that they could have chosen, what about a forward control jeep??. Having said that any company that can come up with the Dynahead body??? We'll need I say more👿

I too feel the need to jump in both feet from the very beginning. My aim is to run the snot out of the thing over the winter and during that time rebuild and  modify my cc01.  Then when I'm fully conversant with the new platform I can implement upgrades in the summer months while running the improved cc01.

• Like 2