dc-arena

CC-02 Cross Country chassis

14 hours ago, JennyMo said:

Although if you're looking for a real budget option, I saw this on Ebay recently - I'm really tempted to take a punt on one of these just to see what the quality is like

There are quite a lot of budget option crawlers coming in from places like China now (as well as genuine Chinese brands).  Most of them seem to be clones of something else.  Obviously there's the Bruiser clone that's been generating a lot of controversy (and assembly wise is of poor quality and needs a full rebuild before running) but now there's an accurate SCX10 II clone, and I'm guessing this is a clone too, although I'm not sure what of.  It's a shame, because China is capable of manufacturing and marketing some very good stuff but the raft of cheap clones doesn't just cheapen the brands they copy, it cheapens the Chinese market as a whole.  (IMO.  And slightly off-topic).

I am starting to get pretty excited for this chassis. The g wagon is nice. I really want a 4th gen 4runner that would be amazing with all the small tamiya details.  retail is $246.40 pre-order at tower hobbies. 

1 hour ago, guggles said:

I am starting to get pretty excited for this chassis. The g wagon is nice. I really want a 4th gen 4runner that would be amazing with all the small tamiya details.  retail is $246.40 pre-order at tower hobbies. 

If it was sub 200 I'd consider it, but by the time you replace the stock tires to you're getting close to SCX-10 price range, or you could go sx-10 raw builders kit for 46 bucks less.  Tamiya can do one thing better than most companies, they can produce some really nice hard bodies with tons of detail.  For some reason they like to hold out on us.  I'd gladly pay anywhere between 250-300 for the CC-02 IF it came with a nice ABS hardbody.  A lexan Mercedes body just doesn't cut it.

• Like 4

Yeah, basically the market for scale trucks was created by Tamiya and they cant take advantage of the success to be had in it now. Posts on here by tamiya fans say they dont like the body on the CC02 and the scaler enthusiasts will just laugh at its performance. Its astonishing the first crawer TLT-1 conversons were over a decade ago and this is the closest to a copy we get. 

A couple of different body options including hardbodys would also get me to buy one. Maybe the marketing dept. just likes to play games with me :ph34r:

• Like 1

That RC Driver video is great and is pretty positive.

I'm not a fan of the body, but it looks like Tamiya put a lot of effort in.  Grille, light details, mirrors, all look great when painted properly.  It's a shame we still get body post holes - would have been nice if there was a hidden mount system.  But I won't be buying this for the body anyway.

Tyres are poor and we knew that.  We know we'll have to budget for proper tyres if we want to do more than trail running.  Which as @78Triumph says, puts the cost right up with way more capable stuff.

I'm really excited to see what other bodies Tamiya put out with this.  I for one would love to see it with an original Blackfoot body (although the F150 was officially IFS, a lot of people converted to solid front axles).  I've had a slow-burn CC01 KBF project on the back-burner for years and it would be nice to complete the set with a solid axle variant, but for the price of a new kit plus a new body I could get something technically very good.  I think we have to expect to see this with the Land Rover body, which might tempt me, as I'm a born Land Rover fan and still don't actually have a scale LR in my fleet.  Would be nice to see it with the Wrangler body too, although I'm not sure if Tamiya still have the licence for that.  Land Cruiser, maybe?  I have a CC01 Land Cruiser and it's probably my favourite RC to look at.  It's on the shelf right above my laptop and even having owned it for 2 months, I still often find myself just looking at it and admiring its proportions.

I'm planning on starting a new crawler project later this year (although I really should be finishing some of the old ones) and the CC02 is still on the list.  I somehow doubt we'll see a second body option on this chassis before 2020 so I'm still out on whether this will end up in my fleet.  I might yet end up with the MST if it turns out to be more truck for the buck.

• Like 2

What are "Tamiya mud block tires" RC driver is talking about?  

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

What are "Tamiya mud block tires" RC driver is talking about?  

They are the same as the kit tyres but a softer compound.

I have ordered the rock block set instead though for a change!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taffer said:

They are the same as the kit tyres but a softer compound.

I have ordered the rock block set instead though for a change!

So there are "mud blocks" and also "rock blocks?"  

Rock blocks are like unimog 425 tyres, more rounded sidewalls

• Thanks 1

And when is Tamiya gonna get with the times and include the freakin' bearings in the kit!?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

And when is Tamiya gonna get with the times and include the freakin' bearings in the kit!?

Well, my good sir, you dream too big.  M07 did come with bearings, but no tires.

Apparently, you must choose; either you get bearings, or tires. 

• Like 1

I am happy if they include neither, as tyres and bearings are things I choose to suit the purpose to which the chassis will be put, and my intended use may not be what Tamiya intended. If they included metal shielded bearings and I wanted rubber, or vice versa, it would just be a waste, and an unnecessary reason to charge more for the kit. 

• Like 2

Well I guess we gotta start our CC02 pro wishlist then. 

no wheels and tires

no body

rubber sealed bearings

CVD centre shaft

all wheelbase parts

alloy dampers 

high torque servo saver with alloy horn

Front CV joints instead of dogbone. 

Carbon reinforced E parts

Carbon reinforced F parts

Carbon reinforced J parts

Turnbuckle steering parts

Alloy locking wheel hexes.

So I tried to pre order CC02 at my LFS, they called the local Australian importer, to be told that they are not ordering any CC02’s at all for the first manufacturing run, meaning Australia won’t see CC02’s till June/July 2020. I always try to order my kits locally, but looks like rcmart or rcjaz will get the money annoyingly. 

im wondering if there isn’t a sense of it won’t be popular that’s why they are not bringing them in maybe. Who knows. 

I think that the shell is the issue. While potentially a desirable chassis, I think the body with which it is being released lets it down badly. I think a lot of buyers, and therefore a lot of hobby shops, will be waiting for it to be released with something more appropriate to a solid axle setup.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I think that the shell is the issue. While potentially a desirable chassis, I think the body with which it is being released let's it down badly. I think a lot of buyers, and therefore a lot of hobby shops, will be waiting for it to be released with something more appropriate to a solid axle setup

100% true. I'm in no hurry untill I see what can be put on it? Even if its an old body. Would be nice for us tinkerers if it was a hardbody:P

I'm guessing that is a completely stock cc02, seems to ride well on rough ground.

I'm expecting mine to turn up any day now!

Soon as mine arrives I’ll start a build thread. At this rate it’ll be at least 10 days from now. 

• Like 1