dc-arena

CC-02 Cross Country chassis

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Would the big bore rear buggy shocks work? They are aeration though. 93mm IIRC. 

Can’t see any reason why not, don’t think it’d be my choice as they’d look odd and be half the cost  of the whole kit.

23 hours ago, Bromley said:

Looking at the steering setup on the cc02...it appears to me, that  bump steer may be an issue. The angle between the drag link and tie rod is quite extreme. Maybe a longer servo horn will help.

Not seen any reviewers comment on this as yet.

What do you guys think, is it going to be a problem? 

I'm holding off building my cc02 until Christmas.  But it would be nice to have a plan if necessary. 

One of the dramas of this kit. The tie rod cries for a hop up (Hey Tamiya, are you serious with part B5?). And yes, the angle between those two rods is quite large. With a standard servo and drag link length like in the manual, the servo (saver) horn is off center, leading to asymetric steering from left to right (At least with the servo I've been using). Not to mention the effect of a change of the steering when the suspension is compressed. A narrower angle of the drag link (longer servo horn as you proposed) may help here (be sure not to touch the .

Sorry to be always complaining but I didn't wear that rose-colored glasses when building this kit.

• Like 2

Looks pretty capable for a scale vehicle but, as anticipated, the over firm tyres steal a considerable amount of it's potential.

Easily solved though. Even cheapo Chinese crawler tyres as as soft as play dough these days!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My CC02 is here, sadly I’ve gotta go away this weekend or I would have started it and done the build thread.

Rc4wd also lost my wheels/tyres I had on order, somehow they shipped from China, got to their airport, sat there 5 days then China post returned to sender. Rc4wd not responding to any emails/Correspondence so far, been 3 days.. probably going to have to raise it with PayPal.. :mellow: pretty hopeless. 

First impressions of the kit, all of the plastics are very stiff, none of that stupid soft cc01 plastic anywhere to be seen. In fact many things I thought would need to be upgraded to metal, simply won’t need to be upgraded at all.  As I had hoped the plastics are made from the same reinforced material used on the likes of TA07/TB05 etc.

looks like it’ll be fairly simple to build. 

Juls

• Like 4

So rc4wd resent my wheels and tires after they got returned to them. I’m most of the way through the build, the kit is good quality and there is many solid design elements. I’m actually much more pleased with it than I thought I would be. Hopefully have time next few days to start the uploading photos and write the build thread. 

notes:

most parts are made of very stiff reinforced plastic. 

the shock bodys appear to be stiffer than normal, they are surprisingly smooth, especially compared to the near identical DT03 dampers, they are much better than expected. Although I already have upgrade shocks to go on, they honestly are not really needed unless your going to do extra customization.

lots of parts I thought would need upgrading simply won’t need to be, the base material is perfectly fine, no rubbery plastic anywhere. Heavy duty servo saver included as standard. 

battery compartment is generous, I can easily fit  4000mah 3S packs in it. 

Im fitting a Land Rover 242mm shell, the instructions are for a 267mm Mercedes body, there is no instructions in the kit how to vary the wheelbase, but there is holes everywhere and it  was pretty simple and straight forward to work out how to get it where I needed to be. There is lots of different ways to alter the wheelbase without needed to buy different links. 

overall I’m quite impressed I think I really like the kit. (Yes I have already have a TRX4, Vaterra Ascender, many CC01’s, I’m not blind sightedly in love with tamiya, although they are my preference.) 

build thread soon. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

Do the drive shafts telescope enough for the shortest wheel base, using the existing link mounting locations?

actually looks as if its got half decent steering lock. The more I see the more I like. Wonder if I could sneek one into the house without the good lady wife noticing

10 hours ago, Bromley said:

Do the drive shafts telescope enough for the shortest wheel base, using the existing link mounting locations?

Only just, the front seems to be out of travel in this setting, it isn’t binding, “but” I might not have it setup exactly right yet, as in there’s no instructions I just fiddled about to shorten it 25mm, but even then it’s plastic, 2 seconds with some sand paper or a small saw and you can easily shorten them.

to change the where the wheelbase setting is, you need to move the link mounts, luckily both upper and lower links attach to the same mount, then the battery tray moves, and the shock towers. 

9 hours ago, Busdriver said:

actually looks as if its got half decent steering lock. The more I see the more I like. Wonder if I could sneek one into the house without the good lady wife noticing

I havnt tried to do any trimming to get more lock yet, although I’m not sure how much more the dogbone joint would handle. I’m sure the aftermarket crowd will come up with something to get even more steering. As for the mrs, I’m sure you can figure that out....

on a side note, I installed the servo vertically and there seems to very little, if any bump steer. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

articulation destroys the CC01. This is in short 242mm wheelbase, should be even better in stock 267mm wheelbase.

• Like 8

Thanks for posting the pictures, looks like a decent truck.  Hard to tell, but would it be easy to swap the lower links with some standard aluminum units?  I think those lower links are the worst looking feature on this truck.  

Hope they follow other companies and offer a chassis only kit.  No interest in the G500 body or wheels/tires, but would like to get one of these eventually. 

• Like 1

Just saw some other photos and looks like the links can easily be replaced, that's good.  Just noticed this thing comes with plastic bushings...seriously?  If they make a bare chassis kit I'll buy it just because I'm a sucker for anything Tamiya, but they either didn't do their homework before making this thing or just decided they don't care.  I really can't see this thing selling well at all (except to us Tamiya fans, and I dont think there's enough of us to make them any money on this chassis).

• Like 1

Copied from TAMIYA BLOG

54944 CC-02 Aluminum Arm Pivots (A,B)

54945 CC-02 Low-Friction 6mm Ball Collars (18 Pcs.) LF

4 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Just saw some other photos and looks like the links can easily be replaced, that's good.  Just noticed this thing comes with plastic bushings...seriously?  If they make a bare chassis kit I'll buy it just because I'm a sucker for anything Tamiya, but they either didn't do their homework before making this thing or just decided they don't care.  I really can't see this thing selling well at all (except to us Tamiya fans, and I dont think there's enough of us to make them any money on this chassis).

The links could very easily be replaced, you would only be doing it for ascetic purposes though. The stock links are super stiff and strong would hold up to years of grinding up and down rocks. There is very little performance gain to be had in that area really. 

the plastic bushings are very smooth if trimmed properly and are a tight fit. This being said Tamiya are releasing upgrade parts for those areas in the near future. But almost every brand of rc stuff sell 6mm steel or aluminium balls just be a matter of finding one that suits. Tamiya make multiple alloy 6mm balls, not sure on steel though. 

54944 CC-02 Aluminum Arm Pivots (A,B)
54945 CC-02 Low-Friction 6mm Ball Collars (18 Pcs.) 

There’s lots of stuff you think you’ll need to upgrade but really It would only be for looks, that said I have some things I like to look a certain way, so nothing against that.

9 hours ago, Juls1 said:

articulation destroys the CC01. This is in short 242mm wheelbase, should be even better in stock 267mm wheelbase.

Thanks for the confirmation pic. I figured it might be good watching the videos of it gobbling up the rough stuff. I think I detected some torque twist upon launching it from a stand-still in the one video. It got me thinking: CC-02 monster truck conversion? Nah, that'd be stupid, but then again I'm a sucker for monster trucks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Thanks for the confirmation pic. I figured it might be good watching the videos of it gobbling up the rough stuff. I think I detected some torque twist upon launching it from a stand-still in the one video. It got me thinking: CC-02 monster truck conversion? Nah, that'd be stupid, but then again I'm a sucker for monster trucks.

All crawlers of this style suffer some torque twist, some more or less than others. Vaterra ascender has it so bad it’s practically a joke it driving along leant over on its side (very dissapointing vehicle) . It can be fixed by eliminating sag and redu hi cing the travel, but you lose heaps of flex. 

Traxxas get around it by having 0 sag from the factory, if you give them sag they suffer torque twist like most other chassis of this layout. 

I have not driven my CC02 yet so I cannot comment on the torque twist issue. 

monster truck it? Well it’d be a nice chassis to make a mini sized one. Short wheelbase setting, right wheels and tires, some gmade RSD piggy back shocks are built on the slim side and would look scale, whole thing might work quite well even.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:48 AM, Juls1 said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Looks great @Juls1. I also have CC-02 too, what tyre/wheel combo are you using? Because I have cheapo chinese tyres/wheel (from CC-01 Defender) rubbing the front shock when turning fully.

3 hours ago, barnettgs said:

Looks great @Juls1. I also have CC-02 too, what tyre/wheel combo are you using? Because I have cheapo chinese tyres/wheel (from CC-01 Defender) rubbing the front shock when turning fully.

Tyres are

https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Dick-Cepek-Fun-Country-155-Scale-Tires_p_4052.html

Wheels are

https://store.rc4wd.com/155-Landies-Vintage-Stamped-Steel-Beadlock-Wheels-White_p_1431.html

wheels and tyres are very hard to get right, particularly considering most tires have different outer diameters. 

Generally speaking for cc01/Cc02 you want a outside diameter of 85-95mm, generally most bodys will need minor trimming for tyres above 85mm. 

im very happy with my combo, the tyres are exceptionally good, they are soft enough to give me over 1” square footprint. The wheels where a bit lighter than I was hoping but I ended up adding wheel weights. (Of course stock they are much heavier than plastic). 

The tyres are quite close to the shock. But they still miss. 

• Like 2

Thanks, it is hard to know which one would fit, without trying them out.

I haven't tried steel wheels but they seem to be very popular, especially with crawlers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barnettgs said:

Thanks, it is hard to know which one would fit, without trying them out.

I haven't tried steel wheels but they seem to be very popular, especially with crawlers.

When you buy those super expensive tyres, you don't want to be glueing them to plastic rims, so we typically use a beadlock, just so happens most are steel or aluminium.

If the car isn't going to be driven quickly (over 25km/h) then the heavier the wheels the better for general crawling and trail truck use. More weight = more grip. 

• Like 1

Apologies - have done a search of the forum and come up short on info (and shocks can be expensive so...) 

Is the CC01 damper kit #54541 the right set to get for CC02 if you want to stick with Tamiya dampers? (they look a little short to me?) 

Any other high quality alternatives worth considering? The Schumacher big bore v2 buggy shocks are also on my list to investigate, as are some Losi/AE shocks, but all 3 of these are pricy!

There's a million options out there for aftermarket shocks - and avoiding a terribly made low quality chinese set appears to be a challenge. Won't be "crawling" - more fast street and bumpy grass running - so not looking for something with huge oil reservoirs and not fussed about scale looks. 

Many thanks!! :D

17 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

Apologies - have done a search of the forum and come up short on info (and shocks can be expensive so...) 

Is the CC01 damper kit #54541 the right set to get for CC02 if you want to stick with Tamiya dampers? (they look a little short to me?) 

Any other high quality alternatives worth considering? The Schumacher big bore v2 buggy shocks are also on my list to investigate, as are some Losi/AE shocks, but all 3 of these are pricy!

There's a million options out there for aftermarket shocks - and avoiding a terribly made low quality chinese set appears to be a challenge. Won't be "crawling" - more fast street and bumpy grass running - so not looking for something with huge oil reservoirs and not fussed about scale looks. 

Many thanks!! :D

CC01 uses a 70mm shock

CC02 uses a 90mm shock

Tamiya don't currently offer a set of 4 alloy shocks for the CC02, I messed about alot with various Gmade dampers, and yeah racing and various others, in the end, I put some Hi Cap mini pistons and some CVA piston type shafts and switched to single O ring with a TRF Nylon bush in my stock shocks and am very happy with that setup. The stock shocks seemed to outperform basically everything I could come up with aftermarket. Tamiya do offer a Big Bore damper in the right length but the cost is crazy and uncertain if they make soft enough springs. 

I'm waiting for tamiya to build and supply a proper set for the time being, but I'm happy with my current arrangement. 

In the past tamiya have made sets that might have worked, like 54109, 53492, 54472.. as I say, these "MIGHT" work. 

There is HEAPS of aftermarket options, but I wasted heaps of money and ended up back at the stock shocks and just upgraded there internals slightly, thats the setup I'm happy with now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juls1 said:

CC01 uses a 70mm shock

CC02 uses a 90mm shock

Tamiya don't currently offer a set of 4 alloy shocks for the CC02, I messed about alot with various Gmade dampers, and yeah racing and various others, in the end, I put some Hi Cap mini pistons and some CVA piston type shafts and switched to single O ring with a TRF Nylon bush in my stock shocks and am very happy with that setup. The stock shocks seemed to outperform basically everything I could come up with aftermarket. Tamiya do offer a Big Bore damper in the right length but the cost is crazy and uncertain if they make soft enough springs. 

I'm waiting for tamiya to build and supply a proper set for the time being, but I'm happy with my current arrangement. 

In the past tamiya have made sets that might have worked, like 54109, 53492, 54472.. as I say, these "MIGHT" work. 

There is HEAPS of aftermarket options, but I wasted heaps of money and ended up back at the stock shocks and just upgraded there internals slightly, thats the setup I'm happy with now. 

That's a great reply - exactly the kind of info I was looking for :)

I'm planning on building the kit shocks with proper pistons / shafts / seals as an interim measure - good to know this a decent choice! 

Many thanks