dc-arena

CC-02 Cross Country chassis

1 hour ago, BuggyGuy said:

That's a great reply - exactly the kind of info I was looking for :)

I'm planning on building the kit shocks with proper pistons / shafts / seals as an interim measure - good to know this a decent choice! 

Many thanks 

If you can find them, the pistons from the hicap mini are stiffer and a tighter fit than the actual CVA pistons and seem to be a bit smoother running. 

the CVA’s work really well on the CC02 because they are mounted vertically so there is very little lateral load on them. In vehicles with heavily angled shocks, a better quality shock makes a lot more difference. That being said plenty of aftermarket units don’t work well with lateral loads either, even if they look fancy on the outside. 

• Like 1

I can second @Juls1, I've put a few different 'scale' shocks and alloy shocks on mine but nothing gave the same level of performance as the stock CVA's, so I'm back to using those. 

Hopefully Tamiya will release something similar to the CC01 alloy dampers but with a longer body and shafts, as those dampers are very nice on my CC01!

Finished the the majority of my CC-02 build last night - overall I would rate it as a very nice kit to build, the tough plastics are really nice and I didn't struggle with any of the nuts or need to glue anything. I thought I'd want to be upgrading some of the links and mounts almost immediately - but was relieved to see how strong the plastics are in this kit (feels same as M07R etc.) so I dont think any hopups are needed here. 

I swapped out the self tappers for hex screws, added bearings and the aluminium spur gear mount while building - I think bearings are an essential hopup for this model (and decent aftermarket set is only £15). 

I didn't get all the Tamiya parts delivered before starting, so I'm waiting on the steering link kit, carbon steel props, and some low friction ball joints (and a new sprue of the J parts as removing current balls from the links will be a pain I don't want to endure for the sake of £12!). 

Only niggle I have with this kit is the servo mount. I could not mount a standard sized Savox servo in the horizontal position and have had to do vertically. I did try a low profile Savox and that was fine - but it's a race servo from my Xray and stupid overkill for CC-02. In the vertical position the servo saver can strike the stock steering rod before anything else bottoms out, so I'll be swapping the servo saver over when I swap to the hopup steering link (which should also help as the hopup link is slimmer than the stock plastic item). 

Hoping to fit the electrics today, and currently testing various layouts to get it nice and neat - I've optimistically gone for a sensored brushless 21T for this with the kit ESC, and I'm hoping that with the upgraded prop the drivetrain should be fine... :D

Still deciding what to do regarding the shocks - I've built the kit shocks with better internals and some proper pistons - and I've fitted some slightly stiffer springs. I'm happy with them for now but would like to sort out something better. The CC02 shock bodies are exactly the same length as the alloy upgrade rears I have for the DF03 - but getting a set of 4 together for a CC02 is not a sane purchase IMO. Getting 2 pairs of buggy rear big bore aeration dampers is probably the only other Tamiya option but that's also very expensive unfortunately... currently leaning toward a set of 90mm FT shocks from the Element Enduro (which I beleive should make them Team Associated shocks - which are normally excellent) 

• Like 4

Good to hear more good feedback on the cc-02.

The plastics are holding up surprising well on mine so far!

My vertical saver hits the bar also, it's not as big an issue as you might think because it does this on compression of both sides at the same times an unlikely scenario on everyday type trailing, it's fine when either wheel is articulated.

In happy with the stock shocks, they work well.

Also surprised how well the plastic balls in the arm joints operate.

Out of the box I think it performs well, upgrade it seems if you can afford the quality, the hopups do seem nice....would be good to hear some comparisons of performance before and after the hopups!?

Mine being stock apart from bb's, tyre's and steel pinion I'll update my showroom entry when and if the plastic parts fail, what happened and at how many approx. hours of running it took to get there! I've passed 10hours so far, no issues!

• Like 1

One other really nice thing I found that I wasn't expecting was that by rotating the rear brace that goes over the battery tray through 90 degrees the battery compartment becomes exactly the dimensions of a shorty lipo (and holds the lipo very nice and securely). 

I was expecting to have to buy or make something to do this - not sure if it intentional by Tamiya or not tbh! 

• Thanks 3

I'm tempted to have a dabble with the CC - 02 but the limited range of bodies are a bit of a put off. What else will fit?

I'll admit I haven't read the full thread so if it's been mentioned my apologies

2 hours ago, Wetman said:

I'm tempted to have a dabble with the CC - 02 but the limited range of bodies are a bit of a put off. What else will fit?

I'll admit I haven't read the full thread so if it's been mentioned my apologies

I think a lot of the CC01 bodies might fit - though I would think a fair few of the bodies available would need you to adjust the CC02 wheelbase (easy enough to do by the looks of it). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

I think a lot of the CC01 bodies might fit - though I would think a fair few of the bodies available would need you to adjust the CC02 wheelbase (easy enough to do by the looks of it). 

Yep, I think most do. I got a unimog 425 and a Bronco on it which I think is pretty short? Had to flip a fair few bits, but it went on ok. 
E59A8EEB-0322-4C48-A40E-D2A1757B7CE2.jpg

91EB11A0-59EF-4FF1-BC73-EB765CD5DE1C.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Wetman said:

I’m running the Land Rover on mine which is the shortest wheelbase CC01 body (242mm), I did need to trim the propshafts slightly but otherwise there was holes everywhere to make it happen. 

the stock body is 267mm which is the longest cc01 wheelbase, and there is holes to do the middle cc01 size 252mm and the propshafts work without trimming.

in other words, all CC01 bodys can fit the CC02. But, the body post holes don’t correspond to cc01 shells (not a big deal most CC01 bodys are not drilled) 

I will add though, there is no CR01 prop shafts for the 242mm setting. Again no big deal, for trail running the plastic shafts are more than strong enough. 

• Like 1

A whole year since release and we're still stuck with only the Mercedes G500 kit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'd like to see a chassis kit released at least - a CC02R / MS would be lovely :D

I'd rather see the next CC02 released get IFS, I think there's still a place for it in the range - unless CC01 is going to live forever (would not be surprised!). 

Would be nice to see a larger range of hopups from Tamiya for this model as well I think - very small at the mo. 

8 hours ago, Juls1 said:

I will add though, there is no CR01 prop shafts for the 242mm setting. Again no big deal, for trail running the plastic shafts are more than strong enough. 

I put some metal props on mine (mainly for the tart factor) 

49981145876_3bcc70676c_b.jpg

And I also run the Land Rover 90 body:

50012562923_3e06663574_b.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I put some metal props on mine (mainly for the tart factor) 

49981145876_3bcc70676c_b.jpg

There is plenty of aftermarket options available thats pretty easy, I was pointing out that if you buy the CR01 Prop Shafts they won't fit on the 242mm wheelbase, even if you buy the shorter models.

Ultimately though, money would be better spent on the best quality ultra soft tyres money can buy instead of metal propshafts, Tyres and wheels make more difference than any other modification you can fit on a crawler or trail rig. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Juls1 said:

There is plenty of aftermarket options available thats pretty easy, I was pointing out that if you buy the CR01 Prop Shafts they won't fit on the 242mm wheelbase, even if you buy the shorter models.

Ultimately though, money would be better spent on the best quality ultra soft tyres money can buy instead of metal propshafts, Tyres and wheels make more difference than any other modification you can fit on a crawler or trail rig. 

Many guys in the RC Crawler Forums and FB Crawler pages have snapped their plastic props. There's no substitute for steel shafts which is a very important upgrade for crawlers. Tires are subjective depending on terrain. Metal beadlock wheels and steel drive shafts are good upgrades for better traction aside from tires. 

• Like 1

The plastic prop is worth swapping if you want to do fast street running, or bumpy grass as well if going for anything quicker than a Tamiya sports tuned motor IMO - my neighbour snapped one racing my buggy on grass and he's only running a 21T brushed. 

Bit the bullet and ordered some GPM CVDs for the front, a hardened steel rear axle, plus a Yeah Racing skid plate for the centre gearbox. 

Can anyone here recomend a good set of front hubs? And do CC01 or any other Tamiya hubs fit without modification does anyone know? 

Not sure what other changes will be making to mine yet - I'm thinking about swapping the upper suspension links to a set of titanium or steel turnbuckles at the mo. My neighbour ordered a couple of different buggy slipper clutches to see if he can get one that fits at all (I won't hold my breath!) - this could be a great addition for those of us running faster motors on smoother surfaces (if they can be made to fit!). 

On 10/19/2020 at 2:22 AM, Blista said:

A whole year since release and we're still stuck with only the Mercedes G500 kit.

... but any CC01 body will fit on the CC02, so it's not that big of an issue is it?

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 5:12 AM, Nicadraus said:

Many guys in the RC Crawler Forums and FB Crawler pages have snapped their plastic props. There's no substitute for steel shafts which is a very important upgrade for crawlers. Tires are subjective depending on terrain. Metal beadlock wheels and steel drive shafts are good upgrades for better traction aside from tires. 

1000%!!! For Trail Truck duties, mild Off-Road and general Bashing....  The standard Driveshafts should be fine.  TIRES are the first real upgrade on most of these - and ANY Tamiya! 😲 

But those of us in the Colonies, who do Hardcore Crawling, on sheer, jagged Rocks, and extreme Vertical on high grip surfaces - in heavily Modified Rigs weighing up to 15lbs.... DRIVESHAFTS and even Titanium Diff Gears and Axles become a MUST!! 

.... Not to sound snobby! That's just based on what I experience here. I've seen a lot of Video. There's an ever growing serious Crawler Crowd in the UK - and even more hardcore Crawlers in Germany and the Czech Republic!! 😲👍👍

On 10/18/2020 at 8:15 AM, BuggyGuy said:

... currently leaning toward a set of 90mm FT shocks from the Element Enduro (which I beleive should make them Team Associated shocks - which are normally excellent) 

They ARE Team Associated Shocks, and considered ABOVE Industry standard here!! 😉  The new Axial IKON Shocks in the SCX10 III have been proving extremely capable as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

... but any CC01 body will fit on the CC02, so it's not that big of an issue is it?

Ideally, I'd want an all new body, preferably an iconic Japanese truck.  If I thought I could sell the G500 body it wouldn't be so bad but I don't see anybody wanting it.

To be honest, there's so many other high quality crawler/trail kits out there now, I'd only look at a CC02 if it came with something that really interested me or I already had one or two other trucks.  While Tamiya's polycarbonate bodies are still unsurpassed for quality and detail, the value of the chassis simply isn't there for me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Blista said:

Ideally, I'd want an all new body, preferably an iconic Japanese truck.  If I thought I could sell the G500 body it wouldn't be so bad but I don't see anybody wanting it.

To be honest, there's so many other high quality crawler/trail kits out there now, I'd only look at a CC02 if it came with something that really interested me or I already had one or two other trucks.  While Tamiya's polycarbonate bodies are still unsurpassed for quality and detail, the value of the chassis simply isn't there for me.

Have to agree the competition is stiff - was just looking an Element Enduro builders kit today, very impressive for something with a similar rolling chassis price to CC01 or CC02

55 minutes ago, Blista said:

If I thought I could sell the G500 body it wouldn't be so bad but I don't see anybody wanting it.

Agreed. I was in the same boat, ready to pull the trigger with the same plan of selling off the body, but like you said, who'd want it? Its just a bit too pricey (then needing to add the price of bearings on top) to just toss the body aside and then pay more money to re-body it. Still waiting for another body variant, Tamiya...still waiting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

Have to agree the competition is stiff - was just looking an Element Enduro builders kit today, very impressive for something with a similar rolling chassis price to CC01 or CC02

I'm looking at the Element kits too.  The value for money is miles ahead of Tamiya's CC02.

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Agreed. I was in the same boat, ready to pull the trigger with the same plan of selling off the body, but like you said, who'd want it? Its just a bit too pricey (then needing to add the price of bearings on top) to just toss the body aside and then pay more money to re-body it. Still waiting for another body variant, Tamiya...still waiting.

Not to mention needing a new set of tyres if you want to do anything with the truck off road.

A new body and I could possibly overlook the faults and eccentricities but right now I have nothing Tamiya makes for off-roading on my wishlist anymore.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blista said:

Not to mention needing a new set of tyres if you want to do anything with the truck off road.

A new body and I could possibly overlook the faults and eccentricities but right now I have nothing Tamiya makes for off-roading on my wishlist anymore.

I have to agree.  I've got a few other brand scalers, a couple of scratch build / parts-bin scalers, and a fleet of CC01s, I don't need a CC02 at all but I would buy one if it came with the Defender 90 body.  The cost of buying a CC02, plus a D90 body, plus bearings, tyres, wheels, and the hassle of trying to sell the G500 body, make it a very expensive prospect for a kit that I anticipate will be the worst-performing of all my solid-axle rigs.  And I know it's not all about performance, it's about scale accuracy and realistic driving dynamics, but even then I'm sure I could get just as close as the CC02 does with a budget chassis and non-Tamiya Defender body and have a heap of change in my pocket.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:
10 hours ago, Blista said:

I have to agree.  I've got a few other brand scalers, a couple of scratch build / parts-bin scalers, and a fleet of CC01s, I don't need a CC02 at all but I would buy one if it came with the Defender 90 body.  The cost of buying a CC02, plus a D90 body, plus bearings, tyres, wheels, and the hassle of trying to sell the G500 body, make it a very expensive prospect for a kit that I anticipate will be the worst-performing of all my solid-axle rigs.  And I know it's not all about performance, it's about scale accuracy and realistic driving dynamics, but even then I'm sure I could get just as close as the CC02 does with a budget chassis and non-Tamiya Defender body and have a heap of change in my pocket.

Its funny how a lot of us go through the same thought processes and reach similar conclusions. Other than the CC02 (which we agree seems too pricey and hampered, though I fully applaud Tamiya for giving us a fresh design) nothing Tamiya offers in off-road grabs me anymore. The re-releases have even grown tiresome like a game of whack-a-moles. They pop up briefly and then disappear with little parts support. Now you see them, now they're gone.

I went through the same logic process @Mad Ax did and reached the same conclusion. Tamiya passion didn't win out over reason with this one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I went through the same logic process @Mad Ax did and reached the same conclusion. Tamiya passion didn't win out over reason with this one.

I think for me it could win out, if it came with the right body.

As I said above, I could build a semi-scale D90 or D110 using a cheap 4-linked solid axle chassis (of which there are now many) and an unbranded Defender body, which would probably look as good and perform as well as a CC02 with the Tamiya body, for far less money.  What I didn't say above is that I won't, because I have enough trail/crawl rigs for now, and I don't really need yet another rig which is only good for looking good and doing trail duties and not much else.

On the other hand, if Tamiya were to release the CC02 with the D90 body (or better still, a proper licenced scale 110 station wagon of the same vintage, with some County decals, so I could make a repro of the one I grew up in in the 80s) then I would buy it in a flash, just because it's a Tamiya and it's something I'd love to build as Tamiya intended and gently drive around my garden reliving my childhood in 1:10 scale.