dc-arena

CC-02 Cross Country chassis

@BuggyGuy are you using some sort of brace under the battery to keep it from falling through? I didn't notice a strap or other system in your pic - what sorcery are you using to keep it in place?

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

• Confused 1

@nginsb I do use a big reusable cable tie as well, but it's secure enough to run without it as well for me.

Mines really tight in that same space with the strap over the top - I wonder if the Spektrum shorty batteries are slightly fatter/longer or something?

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

@nginsb I do use a big reusable cable tie as well, but it's secure enough to run without it as well for me.

Mines really tight in that same space with the strap over the top - I wonder if the Spektrum shorty batteries are slightly fatter/longer or something?

Ok, thanks - I thought of fitting a lexan/polycarbonate sheet under the battery at the bottom of the tray which would prevent the battery from falling out (and perhaps has the added benefit of protecting the underside of the battery from dust, stones, mud etc). I'm thinking I may do this anyway, even if I do choose to use a full size battery in future, as I find it unusual to have the battery totally exposed to the elements in a crawler/trail truck running on lipo. Guess I'm thinking in comparison to my TRX4 where the battery is very well protected from anything that the truck could get caught up on. Thanks for all the input - I'm looking forward to having the build complete and testing it out on the trails.

After waiting for over a year for a new body on the CC02, I decided to take matter into my own hands. Now it's been discussed on this thread (specifically between Mad Ax and Saito2), but even though the logical thing was not to do it, I went ahead and did it anyway. Tamiya passion won out over reason :D

So let me start by saying I think the CC02 is brilliant, not over engineered IMO, highly adjustable and cleverly designed. The number of different possible wheelbases is remarkable. This is what I expect from Tamiya in modern times, not a simple 80's design - leave that for the re-re's!

I followed Matteo's advice about the wheelbases, but only after having the model in hand and while building it, I found there's even more play that Matteo did not address in his videos - the links on the axles are adjustable too, so you can actually reach the coveted 275 mm wheelbase! Tamiya must have thought about that, knowing there are a lot of bodies out there with this wheelbase.

I had purchase the Xtra Speed D90 hardbody at the same time with the CC02 from RCMart, thinking I'll have to stretch the chassis. Imagine how relieved I was when finding I could reach 275 mm by just flipping some parts around. Mating the body (with its full interior!) to the chassis ... well that a whole different story for another time (probably the most challenging part of this build).

Another influential source I must give props to is Kisun's defender videos.

IMG_8327.jpg

IMG_8367.jpg

IMG_8365.jpg

IMG_8366.jpg

IMG_8368.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I think thats possibly one of the best RC landies I've seen. Just shows what a difference a hardbody makes. All it needs now is a driver (marmite I know)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Nice.

can you tell what is the height?

The height ground to top of roof is approx 23 cm. The body is very heavy and compresses the shock springs almost to half their travel. While this shortens their potential, it's extremely realistic!

19 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I think thats possibly one of the best RC landies I've seen. Just shows what a difference a hardbody makes. All it needs now is a driver (marmite I know)

Thanks! Yeah Tamiya's lexan bodies are incredible, but there's no substitute for hardbodies. The driver is on a flight from China... Might have to quarantine on arrival

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, beetleman said:

Thanks! Yeah Tamiya's lexan bodies are incredible, but there's no substitute for hardbodies. The driver is on a flight from China... Might have to quarantine on arrival

This s an amazing looking body , i too have the CC02 Chassis , i was tempted to get the cco1 purely for the land rover defender body ,  having seen Mateo's videos on the wheel bases i opted to the cc02 ( the G500 isn't that bad but not first choice ) hoping for some body shells to be released  -   i know the CCo1 body will fit  , now you have me all in a spin with that hard body - but a bit daunted to attempt it  -  but looks worth it ... what tips would you have ? as a  2nd time round RC newbie on surface ,  gave up my planes 2 years ago after losing all my nerve !  

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 4:35 AM, Timbut2 said:

This s an amazing looking body , i too have the CC02 Chassis , i was tempted to get the cco1 purely for the land rover defender body ,  having seen Mateo's videos on the wheel bases i opted to the cc02 ( the G500 isn't that bad but not first choice ) hoping for some body shells to be released  -   i know the CCo1 body will fit  , now you have me all in a spin with that hard body - but a bit daunted to attempt it  -  but looks worth it ... what tips would you have ? as a  2nd time round RC newbie on surface ,  gave up my planes 2 years ago after losing all my nerve !  

The D90 lexan body, even though made by Tamiya, is no comparison to the hardbody. Just the way it wobbles on the chassis when offroading was enough to put me off (think I saw that in a Mateo video as well).

Tips? Love and patience. It was a tedious project but I'd do it all over if I had to.

I decided to use the interior so had to cut it some to fit over the spur gear cover. The mounts are flat alu stock fitted to flipped over stock parts. To those flat bars I fabricated the mounts you see from metal angled hardware. I tried to keep it simple, with minimal mods to the original chassis.

If anyone attempts it I'll be glad to help with more details.

The new Unimog lexan body on the cc02? *yawn* I'm glad I gave up waiting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beetleman said:

I'm glad I gave up waiting.

I think a lot of Tamiya fans are reaching that point.  I really like the Unimog so it's good news for me, but I imagine there's plenty of other people who have been waiting for something new, and especially a hard-body truck, on the CC02 only to be disappointed yet again.

• Like 1

I think the mog looks great and will see a big uptake compared to the slightly weird g500 decision. That said, i can't for the life of me understand why they don't just smash out chassis kits for under £200. Smaller box, less shipping, less faff, more market, more profit. 

• Like 4

Even I fell for "at least it's a different Body".... But they've got bigger things on their minds - like the £400/$500 Re Re Top Force EVO!!! 😖😖😠  Or the £180/$250 Grasshopper II....

They're losing touch with their Base - AND any hopes of new blood in the Hobby.

New black edition grasshopper 2 comes in at £85 from fusion hobbies after discount and ESC removal

10 hours ago, beetleman said:

The D90 lexan body, even though made by Tamiya, is no comparison to the hardbody. Just the way it wobbles on the chassis when offroading was enough to put me off (think I saw that in a Mateo video as well).

Tips? Love and patience. It was a tedious project but I'd do it all over if I had to.

I decided to use the interior so had to cut it some to fit over the spur gear cover. The mounts are flat alu stock fitted to flipped over stock parts. To those flat bars I fabricated the mounts you see from metal angled hardware. I tried to keep it simple, with minimal mods to the original chassis.

If anyone attempts it I'll be glad to help with more details.

The new Unimog lexan body on the cc02? *yawn* I'm glad I gave up waiting.

Looks Fantastic  - probably for me ( and when wallet and stock allows )  i may look into the hardbody , but for now - i will spend a few months bashing the G500, not a fan on the Unimog , like you its does nothing for me ..  Great work though on yours , you never know I may be asking for helpppp  down the line

Anyone got their mits on the new alloy shock hopups yet and care to do a little review or post a few pics? Part #54991

Quite tempted to order a set. Currently have a set of Carson Big Bores - but other than being cheap they don't have a lot going for them :lol:

How's erveryone getting on with their CC02 - added Yeah Racing diff / chassis protector plates to mine today, and a set of CVDs from GPM at the front. Also added the Tamiya motor bridge hopup (makes setting the gear mesh a touch easier). 

WQCPMtX.jpg

1mfPdtV.jpg

7ayd0Nl.jpg

cfYZkHE.jpg

61Gm0ZF.jpg

jkuIKz3.jpg

• Like 3

I've received all the tamiya hopups except the plated gear casings (yet) for my unimog build, although I won't be ordering the shocks because I prefer plastic cva's.

Apart from steel pinion and ball bearings I don't think it needs anything else....., Approx 30+ hours driven with the Merc and all the plastic is holding up great.......after my shelfer build I'd like to build a speed version to see how it copes...

Sorely tempted by the Unimog version that just came out but I think it will be so far behind the performance of my Element RC and Gmade scalers that I will regret it...

9 hours ago, sosidge said:

Sorely tempted by the Unimog version that just came out but I think it will be so far behind the performance of my Element RC and Gmade scalers that I will regret it...

That's where I'm at too.  I'd like to get a CC02 but the other brands are miles ahead on everything for only a slight cost increase.

• Like 1

You get the tamiya because...

It's a great build (tamiya style)

It's a great trail truck

It's better than the cc-01

If you don't get it, you'll always wonder what it's like....so get it now .  

It needs ball bearings and an esc with drag brake, it performs well for it's size

• Like 2

Presumably now they’ve issued the Unimog all the similar length CC01 bodies will fit without having to fiddle with the chassis?

They have the G500 in my LHS, keep looking at it... (hate the body, but maybe I can rat/weather it for a runner?)

Remarkable job on the Landy, @Beetlemankurt

Well done! 🤘