Sign in to follow this  
Juggernut

Spray on protectant/shine

Anyone use a spray-on protectant for their runners, bashers, or even shelf queens?  I'm seeing more and more RC specific products out there (who said RC is dead???).  Lots of snake-oily claims.  I'm guessing the majority of them are silicone based sprays.

RC specific examples:

hLpVCCP.jpg

sd08VWg.jpg

aceZ87s.jpg

Haven't tried any myself, but I'd love to know if any of them actually work. I have a fair number of cars now, and while none are officially shelfers, lack of time to run them means that they spend a fair bit of time on the shelf and it would be great to have a quick and easy way to keep them looking good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Haven't tried any myself, but I'd love to know if any of them actually work.

I'll add that I have used an automotive product with good results.  No bash test on how well it does repelling mud/grime thought.  It does make old plastic shine like new with no tacky residue.

8rgoI5g.jpg

ziY1kWL.jpg  

i have not seen these product tbh or would i look for them either.

i have a plethora of 1.1 cleaning stuff to use and have great results with them so tend to stick with what i have 

Same here, silicone spray got my recent (clod) rebuild looking new... until I ran it :D

To clean a chassis I use Shout with a little bit of Simple Green and spray on with a handheld garden sprayer. Nothing has worked better for removing grim from my RCs and ATVs/Dirtbike. 

For a quick shine on plastic/lexan nothing works better than Plexus....although the price hurts, but you don;t have to use much. I've had the same can for about 4 years now and use it on ATV/Dirt BIke plastics, lawn mower hood, Snowmobile hood and a bunch of RC shells and still have about a 1/4 left. Also works great on instrument panel plastics in the car and head-unit displays.  

https://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plastic-Cleaner-Protectant-13-Ounce/dp/B00092CKN4

Agree with @magnumb - Plexus is lumpy (esp in the UK) but is by far the best for lexan.

Earlier stuff is much harder to protect and clean - largely because even glass finished decals still leave ridges.

And tbh I’ve never had the stones to risk modern bs on 40 year old shells 😂

I bet with too much use on body shells you would soon start to get the decals peeling off at the edges.

• Like 1