Rob606

Top Force Upgrades

On 10/14/2019 at 7:46 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Yeah Racing do some cheap carbon ones which could be worth looking at, assuming the carbon that Yeah Racing use is decent.

What else am I missing?

Yeah racing carbon shock towers are good i have not broken it after 3 months of use. Got their full set coming this week.

You could add 3mm ceramic diff balls and a one piece thrust bearing to the ball diff to make it stronger , or the ta03 ball diff but i would only add the ta03 if you break yours. 

• Like 1

That pretty much covers it, I have 2 original Evo's, they are just lovely cars to drive.

One of mine I went over the top with , it has TA 03 ball diffs which are lighter and it has hollow carbon tube gear tubes, vintage hopup springs and a carbon fibre driveshaft, Kobe out drives and very strong japanese uj's

One of the best hop ups for these cars is the high speed gear set PN 47393, especially good gearing for brushless 

I think the only other thing you missed is the Evo has uni joints all round, the top force only has them fitted in the front

• Like 1

You know, when you break down the upgrades the the Evo has, one is led to wonder just how much performance difference there really is between the two. Perhaps in the old brushed motor era these things had more impact. Some upgrades help for sure (like the Hicaps or instance), but I don't get the idea the Evo is necessarily going to run away and hide from the standard version. Its certainly less difference than say an Avante vs Egress.

• Like 1

Having had a Top Force since they first came out (which I still run!) I thought knew everything about them.  Ive now read in three seperate threadss that the TA03 ball differential fits in it. Is this true? Arent the TA03 diffs thinner?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saito2 said:

You know, when you break down the upgrades the the Eco has, one is led to wonder just how much performance difference there really is between the two. Perhaps in the old brushed motor era these things had more impact. Some upgrades help for sure (like the Hicaps or instance), but I don't get the idea the Evo is necessarily going to run away and hide from the standard version. Its certainly less difference than say an Avante vs Egress.

Thats what I was thinking, many of the upgrades were important for brushed motors and 1400mah racing packs, I can't  see them making any real difference today.

10 minutes ago, GTodd said:

Having had a Top Force since they first came out (which I still run!) I thought knew everything about them.  Ive now read in three seperate threadss that the TA03 ball differential fits in it. Is this true? Arent the TA03 diffs thinner?

Funny you say that, I've been wondering the same thing, although only started looking at them in the last few weeks. Also wondering if gear diffs would be better than ball diffs, mostly because I prefer them in my other cars and they need less magic to mske work properly.

26 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Thats what I was thinking, many of the upgrades were important for brushed motors and 1400mah racing packs, I can't  see them making any real difference today.

Funny you say that, I've been wondering the same thing, although only started looking at them in the last few weeks. Also wondering if gear diffs would be better than ball diffs, mostly because I prefer them in my other cars and they need less magic to mske work properly.

Don't worry about the TF ball diffs, they are set and forget. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GTodd said:

The TA 03 ball diff is a direct drop in, I have run a pair of them with an 8,5 T motor for years now, yes they are thinner but I have not encountered any wear issues and they are more bulletproof than the Top Force items

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Also wondering if gear diffs would be better than ball diffs, mostly because I prefer them in my other cars and they need less magic to mske work properly.

I run a gear diff in the front of my Top Force. I do recommend keeping a ball diff in the rear minimally, to reduce shock on the drivetrain since it lacks a slipper. Like @GTodd said, Top Force diffs foolproof. There's really no adjustment. Tamiya basically tells you to do them up the whole way and leave them like that. 

Since I'm not versed in the TA03 diff, what benefits does it offer over the standard Top Force unit?

Edit: I researched and discovered the big difference may be less weight and an actual thrust washer included with the TA03 diff. Research also leads me to believe that the best diff would actually be the light weight, original Top Force Evo units with machined (rather than cast) pressure plates but they aren't readily available.

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The carbon fiber chassis release was somewhat tempting (especially if I had the money to assemble an Evo clone) but in the end it seemed like it might be more bling than noticeable improvement. 12 year old me would have been all over it but current- day me has bills to pay (and an Ultima to save for).

55 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

The carbon fiber chassis release was somewhat tempting (especially if I had the money to assemble an Evo clone) but in the end it seemed like it might be more bling than noticeable improvement. 12 year old me would have been all over it but current- day me has bills to pay (and an Ultima to save for).

I wonder, I'm not going to buy any carbon fibre bits until I've built mine and tried it.  A local indoor club run a vintage class so if I ever make it to a meet then I'll give it a go and see what I think.  I have read that there was some flex in the chassis and that was a common complaint from racers BITD.  I probably won't buy it though, the cost is still high, even for the Yeah Racing set, and it seems a bit silly to spend that amount when the car will spend most of its life on the shelf.

2 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

and it seems a bit silly to spend that amount when the car will spend most of its life on the shelf.

Couldn't agree more. As a whole the Top Force isn't really built to the spec of say, a more modern TRF car. Its plastic-type content is fairly standard Tamiya-fair and less exotic than even the earlier Avante-series. Then again, its part of a versatile line of vehicles meant to fill many shoes. There's plenty of Tamiya-slop in the suspension and steering too. All-in-all, the buggy does perform rather well. The research I've gleaned from folks that actually raced them say, for certain tracks, they did extremely well against their contemporaries. They tended to favor smoother tracks though.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 9:24 AM, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

If changing to 50529 or 47393 then you don’t need to worry about it. If using 47393 pinion choices range from  0.6 21t to 25t. 

Hi! Excuse the breathing of life into very old threads, but I have a question for you and @Jonathon Gillham and maybe others too regarding...

47393. It's hard to track it down now, but it looks like the same parts are available under different part numbers; 53127, and possibly 47328. Is that right, are they all the same thing?

50529...still easy enough to find them! It specifically says on the instructions "Not compatible with 1/10 R/C off-road buggies"...is this just over cautious on Tamiya's behalf, or have you experienced any issues using these parts on the Top Force?

Thanks!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

47393. It's hard to track it down now, but it looks like the same parts are available under different part numbers; 53127, and possibly 47328. Is that right, are they all the same thing?

same thing, different numbers, prett much out of stock everywhere. I had the Skyline version of this (53127) in my top force.

14 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

50529...still easy enough to find them! It specifically says on the instructions "Not compatible with 1/10 R/C off-road buggies"...is this just over cautious on Tamiya's behalf, or have you experienced any issues using these parts on the Top Force?

this is fine, it works a-ok

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, matisse said:

same thing, different numbers, prett much out of stock everywhere. I had the Skyline version of this (53127) in my top force.

this is fine, it works a-ok

Nice one, thanks @matisse on both counts

Thankfully I took a punt and got a set of 53127 when I ordered my Top Force from Zabawki in Poland. They're still showing in stock (the gears, and the Top Force too!)

Hi Caps and 50529 came in the same order, so the p&p was easier to swallow :D

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Nice one, thanks @matisse on both counts

Thankfully I took a punt and got a set of 53127 when I ordered my Top Force from Zabawki in Poland. They're still showing in stock (the gears, and the Top Force too!)

Hi Caps and 50529 came in the same order, so the p&p was easier to swallow :D

The high speed gearsets were hard to find 6 months ago so I'm not surprised theybare harder to find now.

Sounds like it will be a great build with hi caps too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Sounds like it will be a great build with hi caps too

Yup, I'm really looking forward to it 

• Like 1