speedy_w_beans

Tamiyaclub Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers (Part 2)

Question for the speed experts. This is my speed demon car, not looking to do 100+ with it.. so keeping very scale.

So I figured what better body than a 911 GT2!  

Tyres / Wheels have been an issue. Original tyre and rims used with this body can’t handle the speed over 30 mph. So I switched to Sorex 36R which are good up to 60 so far. Issue is the rear wheel width. 

Sorex only makes 24mm tyres and 24mm rims at best come with +3 mm offset. I need around 6 mm - 9 mm. Seems they don’t exist in 24mm.  

anyone of you know a good source? 

image.jpg

Id like to have this on the boards somewhere.

It's an old model, I don't have it anymore but basically it was 3x WR02 gearboxes bolted together, I never ran it with a bodyshell, didn't really have one. So it may have to go in the custom section? 

But it definitely deserves a place somewhere in Tamiyaclub history. 

3x brushless motors

3x ESC's

3x 2s lipo. 

I think the full specs are in the video. I'll have to dig them out.

Hi @wolfdogstinkus, I created a new category called "For Posterity's Sake, Not Official Entries" for your submission.  The reason is the lack of body shell, and some could argue the flip at the end constitutes a crash.  Jason was consistent in requiring a body shell for entries, and there was a healthy discussion about disallowing crashes as they can affect top speed in a GPS.  In your case the crash is not severe; it's more of a flip, but there is still the issue of no body shell.  To keep it consistent for everyone's official entries, but to archive the video as you want, I hope you don't mind I'm cataloging your video this way.

My entry, Tamiya DT02 Holiday buggy, entering RWD class.

42mph/67kph, sorry my speedo doesn't record .X

HobbyWing 10BL60, Turnigy Trackstar 5.5t, Zeee 5200 7.4v 60C, stock spur 17t pinion, stock tyres.

I am aware about the crash rule, I did flip over, but this was not on the run recording the fastest speed, so I hope this still counts, I sped up some parts of the video to make sure it wasn't 30 minutes long, based on my circumstances I can't always get a single perfect run because of 1:1 vehicles, so I sped it up to make sure the video had no cuts in it at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Oh How Original, you're logged now on page 1 under RWD Tamiyas.  The flip and the wheelie were not a problem as you showed 41 mph after those incidents, then proceeded to make another run hitting 42 mph.  Clearly the max speed was not the result of any crash.  Neat idea cutting the top off the holiday buggy!

Did a couple of test runs, not too shabby, I think even with the stock 540 this one is faster than the original was with the stock motor. Right now it's sporting a 12t titan, hobbywing 1060 and a 7 cell battery. I still have a few go fast parts coming before I start posting times but let's just say it's already faster than my stock 2wd slash...

• Like 1

Soooo my adjustable motor mount arrived today. Here's my first test run. Since I only have the one phone, I don't know what the speed was and my road is ROUGH!!! I need to find a smooth road.

Specs:

7 cell hump pack, 12t titan, 16t pinion, hobbywing 1060. Everything else is stock.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Boomstick said:

Soooo my adjustable motor mount arrived today. Here's my first test run. Since I only have the one phone, I don't know what the speed was and my road is ROUGH!!! I need to find a smooth road.

Specs:

7 cell hump pack, 12t titan, 16t pinion, hobbywing 1060. Everything else is stock.

Looking good 👍

So here it is!!! The flying brick!!

1)  Tamiya Blackfoot 2wd

2)  54.3MPH 87.4KMH

3) 5900kv surpass rocket motor, surpass ESC, 3s lipo, 19t pinion, 49t spur, frog diff. Speedtreads robber tires and wheels mounted using wheel adapters.

• Like 4

Congratulations, @Boomstick!

Not only are you in the 2WD Tamiya category, but you were just fast enough to take the #10 spot in the Top 10 category!

I made a small correction to your math; 54.3 mph * 1.61 km/mile = 87.4 kph.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Congratulations, @Boomstick!

Not only are you in the 2WD Tamiya category, but you were just fast enough to take the #10 spot in the Top 10 category!

I made a small correction to your math; 54.3 mph * 1.61 km/mile = 87.4 kph.

I think you missed the part of what # I am in the 2wd category lol

Time to make repairs and get ready for my next set of runs with the flying brick!

My entry, Tamiya DT02 Holiday buggy, entering RWD class.

48mph/77kph, sorry my speedo doesn't record .X

HobbyWing 10BL60, Turnigy Trackstar 5.5t, Zeee 5200 7.4v 60C, stock spur 17t pinion, stock front tyres, I got the rears for free off a friend, there's no branding, they are approximately 8mm taller than stock tyres, designed for 10th scale buggies, hope this is okay.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Oh How Original, nice work!  Your buggy looks pretty stable in those runs.  Good thing you did a second run, too, as that is what got you 48 mph instead of 47 mph.

It's great to see some fresh speed runs recently; maybe we'll see more as the weather warms up again!

Wow, @stew_mac, that's super impressive!  You're still #1 in the top 10 category as well as #1 in the 4WD category.

Just out of curiosity I looked up Nic Case's speed runs, and you just beat his first speed run record of 134 mph (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nic_Case), but with essentially a stock chassis and your setup.  How much further can you push it?  :)

Nice work, and you're starting to knock on Nic's door...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Wow, @stew_mac, that's super impressive!  You're still #1 in the top 10 category as well as #1 in the 4WD category.

Just out of curiosity I looked up Nic Case's speed runs, and you just beat his first speed run record of 134 mph (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nic_Case), but with essentially a stock chassis and your setup.  How much further can you push it?  :)

Nice work, and you're starting to knock on Nic's door...

Thanks mate. 

Not sure really where the limit is. In terms of 3s it’s not far off the fastest 3s car I have seen which is 141mph. 

The motor is really designed for 3s so to move to say 4s would mean a new motor. 

The fastest 4s I have seen is 162mph with a TC6 and needs a belt and pulley change every pass. The beats really start being the limits at 3mm wide.

Then there is a 747e on 5s running 172mph which runs 5mm belts. 

Then a 4 tec on 6s at 179mph. 

so it’s really open to how far it can be pushed 

first goal is 140mph

• Like 2

So I lowered the front of the body of the Flying Brick to help with aerodynamics and to keep it from flipping over backwards at 55mph. I did a couple test runs and for the first time ever I was able to make a run with it at full throttle without wheelying at 55mph...

Once I get a day off work that isn't so windy, I'll be making another run to try to beat my record...

IMG_20210311_215130.jpg

• Like 3