speedy_w_beans

Tamiyaclub Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers (Part 2)

And after I replace the chassis, one of my test runs went 62.3 but crashed trying to stop it at the end and it was bad.  I bent two rims, broke a trailing arm, broke the bumper and the piece behind the bumper along with the cracks in the chassis. It was so violent the speed control and battery went flying. To make matters worse, I didn't even get it on video.

I haven't decided if I'm going to run it until it actually breaks or just replace it now... Or maybe I'll just repair and retire the poor girl, she's been through a lot these last couple weeks...

IMG_20210312_013429.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

New PB of 142mph on 3s.

The little Tamiya has been running like a champ backing up its 140+mph passed.

• Like 6

Insane!

I dont think ive ever owned a full size car thats capable of anywhere near that

• Haha 1

Hi @stew_mac, that's really impressive and the listings on page 1 have been updated accordingly!

I enjoyed your video, especially the commentary about steering left.  From some of your audio I imagine you had some sweaty palms while guiding that missile down the street!  Amazing it completed the runs in one piece!

3 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Hi @stew_mac, that's really impressive and the listings on page 1 have been updated accordingly!

I enjoyed your video, especially the commentary about steering left.  From some of your audio I imagine you had some sweaty palms while guiding that missile down the street!  Amazing it completed the runs in one piece!

Hahaha sweaty palms is an understatement. The camera doesn’t show how many times I have to wipe my hands on my shorts to dry them. 

Cracking run @stew_mac! 👏👏

You're making it look easy! (Usually a sign, you're doing it well) 

How often are you replacing belts, tyres etc? 

Out of interest,  are we carrying on a leader board for the , Most Number of cars run? 

(Need to try and get the top of a leader board somewhere.....🙄😁)

I think I'm on 12? 😏

@Wooders28, no, I don't think Jason1145 ever had a "number of runs" ranking, so I didn't create one either.  At this point it would take reviewing 100+ pages of both threads to be sure of the count for each person.  No plans to do that anytime soon; let's keep it focused on speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I don't think Jason1145 ever had a "number of runs" ranking,

Jason started it not long before passing it over, (I think I mentioned I'd run more than him, he then ran every car he had 😂). He is on 17, so I wouldn't even be top of that list yet either! 😭

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

No plans to do that anytime soon

Aye, it's a full time job just keeping track of the runs, and coming up to the summer, hopefully get some good runs in 👍

On 4/19/2021 at 2:46 PM, Wooders28 said:

Cracking run @stew_mac! 👏👏

You're making it look easy! (Usually a sign, you're doing it well) 

How often are you replacing belts, tyres etc? 

I have been running the Tamiya low friction belt and I have made maybe 7 passes now and it’s still looking good. 

I will probably change it soon though 

• Like 1

Nothing official yet, but last night I got some encouraging results, testing a GPS speedometer app on an old phone. Over 23mph in the Grasshopper with the "slow" battery :D

• Like 1

Little update. 

I went to 3s parallel and gained a few mph even with a not so great run.

144mph on 3s.

vid will be posted soon.

FCFF56D2-292E-4DAE-BB16-1C81D20E740E.jpeg

• Like 3

This is a great thread - congrats on maintaining it so well!

Im here because I've recently had someone contact me about a 100mph+ Grasshopper (yes, grasshopper) I have to admit I'm a 'little' sceptical that his timings are accurate so I told them to get some GPS data and video and come and see you guys.

Chris

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 11:36 AM, netsmithUK said:

I have to admit I'm a 'little' sceptical

Just a little....

A Grasshopper , but with Arrma limitless wheels, axles, wishbones, gearboxes and chassis? 🙄

Even 100kph would still be the fastest of the Grasshopper chassis I know of. 

Hello again everyone! I haven't logged in in years been busy with work. Lots of great speed numbers posted! Amazed I still have some cars on the list! Hope to get some new runs in when I move back home to Michigan next year!

• Like 1

Finally found a good place to do speed runs so I can join in on the fun, I have a silver can entry here,

F104 Pro 

45 mph / 72.4 kph

3s lipo, hobbywing 1080 esc, tamiya silvercan, 93T spur / 41T pinion, Tamiya f104 soft rubber tires

https://youtu.be/Ywpr-lEAAOQ

• Like 1

Hi @ImALlama, congratulations, you're #1 in the silver can category!

Since the results were so close to El Dougo's results, I went back to his video and watched it again.  His Garmin showed 44.8 mph while your phone showed 45 mph.  Due to the limited precision of the phone app, I have to assume the internal software truncated the speed from 45.x mph to 45 mph.  Most base software functions are like this.

Nice run!

8 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Hi @ImALlama, congratulations, you're #1 in the silver can category!

Since the results were so close to El Dougo's results, I went back to his video and watched it again.  His Garmin showed 44.8 mph while your phone showed 45 mph.  Due to the limited precision of the phone app, I have to assume the internal software truncated the speed from 45.x mph to 45 mph.  Most base software functions are like this.

Nice run!

Thank you! I wish the app was a little more precise and hope it did drop it down to 45 instead of rounding up, either way I plan to do some more runs and try to get it up a little higher. Each run the tires kept getting a little more unglued and made it almost impossible to keep it going straight. I hope once I sort that out and make some adjustments I can get close to 50.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:11 PM, stew_mac said:

New PB of 142mph on 3s.

The little Tamiya has been running like a champ backing up its 140+mph passed.

Wow. That does look absurdly quick.

How does it handle at that speed? Is it trying to lift, or is it heavy enough for it not to be bothered by that? The uprated components seem pretty chunky, but I can't tell from the vid if the increased mass is cancelling out the inevitable desire for it to start taking off at that speed. It has no obvious downforce components and no underbody to speak of, so unless that ESC fan is also sucking it down like on the Brabham BT46B, then I am guessing it must be a bit lively at 140mph+.

Great work, though. It's a magnificent thing to see it go.

On 3/4/2021 at 8:00 PM, Oh How Original said:

My entry, Tamiya DT02 Holiday buggy, entering RWD class.

48mph/77kph, sorry my speedo doesn't record .X

HobbyWing 10BL60, Turnigy Trackstar 5.5t, Zeee 5200 7.4v 60C, stock spur 17t pinion, stock front tyres, I got the rears for free off a friend, there's no branding, they are approximately 8mm taller than stock tyres, designed for 10th scale buggies, hope this is okay.

Loved this. Pushing a Tamiya to the very limits of its design possibilities.

If you want to try and break 50mph, try cutting down the rear shell to the level of the rest of the body and covering over the hole as you have done with the cockpit. Although the rear section seems to have slats in it to let the air through, it will still be contributing to frontal area and acting like a shuttlecock and slowing you down. Also, cut the front wings off, as they will be acting like parachutes and also creating lift, which might be contributing to the flips you mentioned.

I am torn over the front wing. There is another thread on here somewhere about aerodynamics, in which someone linked to a podcast in which a Schumacher designer admitted that 1:10 RC wings for the most part create no downforce at all, and are instead used to create drag in order to allow cars – especially buggies – to fly straight over jumps. Normally this makes no difference, as buggies run over rough ground at relatively low speeds, meaning that aero effects aren't important to what they need to do. However, you are getting up towards 50mph, which is around the area at which these things do start making a difference. It could be that the extra wing is creating enough drag that it starts trying to rotate the chassis around the rear axle. On its own you probably wouldn't notice it, but if it has a habit of doing that anyway, then it might be making that worse.

However, you clearly say in the video that it seems to have helped, so if that is the case I am clearly talking out of my hat and just go with what feels right.

Another thing that might have helped is the bigger rear wheels and tyres. Bigger wheels effectively increase the final drive ratio, meaning you go further and faster with every revolution of the wheels. If you can find some even taller ones, it might just put you over the line. Although the downside of bigger wheels is that it will also raise the centre of gravity, making it twitchier to drive and more likely to roll over. Worth thinking about, though.

Great to watch. I look forward to the next one.

20 hours ago, Yalson said:

Wow. That does look absurdly quick.

How does it handle at that speed? Is it trying to lift, or is it heavy enough for it not to be bothered by that? The uprated components seem pretty chunky, but I can't tell from the vid if the increased mass is cancelling out the inevitable desire for it to start taking off at that speed. It has no obvious downforce components and no underbody to speak of, so unless that ESC fan is also sucking it down like on the Brabham BT46B, then I am guessing it must be a bit lively at 140mph+.

Great work, though. It's a magnificent thing to see it go.

It handles great at speed. The whole shape is the body is creating downforce and the whole under side is flat and covers all the way to the body. The car does weigh a bit with the big batteries but it’s more the body and suspension keeping it planted.

20 hours ago, stew_mac said:

It handles great at speed. The whole shape is the body is creating downforce and the whole under side is flat and covers all the way to the body. The car does weigh a bit with the big batteries but it’s more the body and suspension keeping it planted.

That's interesting. I had been pondering what the handling characteristics were, as I had read some other drivers' experiences on here who had suggested increased speeds lead to lift and difficult handling. But I think most were buggies or touring cars that would obviously have different issues to your 416, which seems pretty much dialled in.

I had even thought out a method of creating a simple gound effect package, which would help keep a 1:10 car at least stuck to the road when travelling in a straight line on a flat surface, although it would not work in a racing environment as it would be too fragile.

It seems you have got some of it already (flat floor, nose-down attitude, semi-faired arches) but there are probably other elements which might help with either reducing drag, increasing downforce or both. One which you could do easily would be to leave the rear arches faired in, which would reduce drag around that area. it would probably require the rear body to be stiffened, but the weight/drag reduction trade-off might be worth it. You could do the same at the front for double the effect, but that obviously has more consequences as it might reduce steering lock. It can be done, though. And has been in 1:1 scale.

Thibault Chevron B36 REDUCED.jpg

4 hours ago, Yalson said:

That's interesting. I had been pondering what the handling characteristics were, as I had read some other drivers' experiences on here who had suggested increased speeds lead to lift and difficult handling. But I think most were buggies or touring cars that would obviously have different issues to your 416, which seems pretty much dialled in.

I had even thought out a method of creating a simple gound effect package, which would help keep a 1:10 car at least stuck to the road when travelling in a straight line on a flat surface, although it would not work in a racing environment as it would be too fragile.

It seems you have got some of it already (flat floor, nose-down attitude, semi-faired arches) but there are probably other elements which might help with either reducing drag, increasing downforce or both. One which you could do easily would be to leave the rear arches faired in, which would reduce drag around that area. it would probably require the rear body to be stiffened, but the weight/drag reduction trade-off might be worth it. You could do the same at the front for double the effect, but that obviously has more consequences as it might reduce steering lock. It can be done, though. And has been in 1:1 scale.

Thibault Chevron B36 REDUCED.jpg

Coving the wheels is not needed. The wheels themselves will create a lot of air turbulence so covering them could create lift. 

the body I use has been 179mph with other cars so it’s already proven fast. 

• Like 1