speedy_w_beans

Tamiyaclub Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers (Part 2)

6WD Entry

G6-01 VOLVO A60H

29 mph / 46.6 kph

3s lipo, Hobbywing Max10SCT esc, TP 3630 3267KV, stock spur (no idea how many teeth) / 20T pinion, stock tires

Silver Can entry or update

F104 Pro 

47 mph / 75.6 kph

3s lipo, hobbywing 1080 esc, tamiya silvercan, 93T spur / 41T pinion, Ride GR tires

and another crash :(

45 minutes ago, ImALlama said:

and another crash :(

Wow, almost 50 into a foot and you didn’t even say “ouch”! 

42 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Wow, almost 50 into a foot and you didn’t even say “ouch”! 

Strong feet :D. It kinda just grazed my toes, almost got out of the way, so only felt like a light tap as it passed by.

On 8/15/2021 at 4:17 PM, stew_mac said:

New PB for the TRF416X. 

Dear @stew_mac

Wow ! Just wow, so impressive.

IS there a build thread for the car ?

Thank you

On 9/7/2021 at 9:28 AM, museguy said:

Dear @stew_mac

Wow ! Just wow, so impressive.

IS there a build thread for the car ?

Thank you

There is a bit of a build thread here.

but really most of my content is on Facebook Stew Mac RC then Insta and YouTube. 

I don’t often get on the forums that much.

On 8/14/2021 at 12:38 AM, Yalson said:

Loved this. Pushing a Tamiya to the very limits of its design possibilities.

If you want to try and break 50mph, try cutting down the rear shell to the level of the rest of the body and covering over the hole as you have done with the cockpit. Although the rear section seems to have slats in it to let the air through, it will still be contributing to frontal area and acting like a shuttlecock and slowing you down. Also, cut the front wings off, as they will be acting like parachutes and also creating lift, which might be contributing to the flips you mentioned.

I am torn over the front wing. There is another thread on here somewhere about aerodynamics, in which someone linked to a podcast in which a Schumacher designer admitted that 1:10 RC wings for the most part create no downforce at all, and are instead used to create drag in order to allow cars – especially buggies – to fly straight over jumps. Normally this makes no difference, as buggies run over rough ground at relatively low speeds, meaning that aero effects aren't important to what they need to do. However, you are getting up towards 50mph, which is around the area at which these things do start making a difference. It could be that the extra wing is creating enough drag that it starts trying to rotate the chassis around the rear axle. On its own you probably wouldn't notice it, but if it has a habit of doing that anyway, then it might be making that worse.

However, you clearly say in the video that it seems to have helped, so if that is the case I am clearly talking out of my hat and just go with what feels right.

Another thing that might have helped is the bigger rear wheels and tyres. Bigger wheels effectively increase the final drive ratio, meaning you go further and faster with every revolution of the wheels. If you can find some even taller ones, it might just put you over the line. Although the downside of bigger wheels is that it will also raise the centre of gravity, making it twitchier to drive and more likely to roll over. Worth thinking about, though.

Great to watch. I look forward to the next one.

Sorry I only just saw this.

The buggy did eventually hit 50mph, I'm sure there is a video in this thread somewhere, but I believe that's about the limit, I tried some electrics in it that are quite easily capable of 70, but couldn't get back to 50, only ever hit 49 again.

I am super happy with 50mph, consider the amount of abuse the chassis and drivetrain has had when I used to bash it, then all the abuse of several dozen speed runs, all that heat build up and the gears are still perfect.

I do believe it's the fastest HB on 2s in the UK.

Unless someone can prove any different, I am super happy with that title.

I am now considering another Tamiya chassis to use the 70mph+ electrics in, but can't decide on the chassis and I need to find somewhere nice and smooth and big to run it, using the street isn't very good lol.

• Thanks 1

For speed runs I use a TA05 V1 with a Novak Ballistic 3.5 / HW XR10 Pro on 2S. Gearing is 105t/22.  For body I’m using the 911 GT2 body, figured I’d keep it scale 😉

I can hit between 58 and 63 mph with it no problem. When I tried to gear for 70, the ESC went poof.. so this is the best it will do on 2S.

The other challenge is tyres. I’m using Sorex slicks which handle 60mph.. but more than that you need foams.. which I don’t particularly like. 

Very late entry I know, video was uploaded ages ago but haven't been active on the forums, hopefully this is still okay @speedy_w_beans ?

My best entry so far, Tamiya DT02 Holiday buggy, entering RWD class.

50mph/80.4kph, sorry my speedo doesn't record .X

HobbyWing 10BL60, Turnigy Trackstar 5.5t, Zeee 5200 7.4v 50C, stock spur 20t pinion, stock front wheels, Schumacher rear wheels/tyres, sorry I don't recall the exact ones, got them cheap on eBay :D

Apologies the video is a little long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMGB9-z63C0&t=408s&ab_channel=RCFunEveryday

• Like 1

@Oh How Original, great video!  I enjoyed the low-flying helicopters, some of the faster footage, and your fun driving after hitting 50 mph!

You moved up the ranks in the RWD class from 13th to 9th; that's a great change.  All you need is another 4.4 mph to break into the overall fastest category / top ten!

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

@Oh How Original, great video!  I enjoyed the low-flying helicopters, some of the faster footage, and your fun driving after hitting 50 mph!

You moved up the ranks in the RWD class from 13th to 9th; that's a great change.  All you need is another 4.4 mph to break into the overall fastest category / top ten!

This project is now finished with for the moment, I can't get it to go above 50mph, the front just lifts, the electronics have it in them, but unfortunately the chassis does not.

Onwards and upwards, I plan on entering the 4wd class soon with 60mph+ as my initial goal to make it into the top ten :D

@GailGilly, thanks for your submission; did you happen to video your phone showing 0 mph before the speed run, and then video the phone retrieving the speed from the GPS?  Or are you using your phone to capture the video and retrieve the GPS speed?  It looks like you posted a screen capture from the phone at the end of the video.

To be fair to everyone who has posted before, it would be better if you could show the GPS reading 0 mph first, then the speed run pass, and then the GPS reading max speed afterwards (with no vehicle crashes) as one continuous video.  Please let us know if you can do that.

@speedy_w_beans, thanks for your reply. I might be able to do another run today in which I’ll show the phone in the video, but I don’t really have an easy way to film the car since I can’t hold the camera while driving.

@Mazduh3, nice footage, but you didn't show the GPS at 0 mph before the speed run, nor did you show the GPS top speed as part of the video.  I can accept the entry and rank you in the lists after it is filmed per the rules.  This is to maintain consistency with Jason1145's original rules and entries others previously submitted.  I encourage you to film it again because your speed once verified places you in the Top Ten.

Just a quick reminder of the rules from page 1 for everyone new to the forum and new to the thread:

The Rules

1. Each member can enter as many cars as he wants but only one car will be entered per member in the 'Overall Fastest Tamiya' category.
  2. Speed runs will be accepted if shown on video; acceptable methods include:
    • On-board GPS:  This shows the car at a standstill with a GPS device mounted showing 0 mph / 0 kph, then show the car go on it’s speed run and come back to show the GPS recorded speed.
    • Radar gun: The car can be filmed going past a hand-held or tripod-mounted radar gun.
    • On-board FPV video:  This shows video from the car itself with the speed displayed on the screen.
  3. Speed runs must have the body shell mounted on the chassis; this can be the original Tamiya shell or a Lexan/hardbody aftermarket one.
  4. To qualify for a Tamiya category you must use original model-specific gearbox casings and internals.  Tamiya high-speed gear sets and aftermarket internal gears fitting inside stock Tamiya gearboxes and on stock gear shafts are also allowed.
  5. If you modify a Tamiya RC with a third-party gearbox, modify the stock gearbox in any way (holes or drilling to accept different gears not intended for that chassis), or custom-build a gearbox yourself you will be entered into the "Custom Modified Tamiya RC" Category.
  6. Silver can entries:  You MUST show the silver can motor in the speed run video.

Up until recently most people have used a GPS with a built-in display, so it was relatively easy to film that device at 0 mph, film the speed run, and film the top speed as one continuous piece of footage.  With the newer GPS units connected to phone apps, there is no built-in display to film, but a few people have submitted footage showing their phones at 0 mph, the speed run, and the phone retrieving the top speed from the GPS in one continuous piece of footage.  Crashes are not allowed in submissions.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

@Mazduh3, nice footage, but you didn't show the GPS at 0 mph before the speed run, nor did you show the GPS top speed as part of the video.  I can accept the entry and rank you in the lists after it is filmed per the rules.  This is to maintain consistency with Jason1145's original rules and entries others previously submitted.  I encourage you to film it again because your speed once verified places you in the Top Ten.

Just a quick reminder of the rules from page 1 for everyone new to the forum and new to the thread:

The Rules

1. Each member can enter as many cars as he wants but only one car will be entered per member in the 'Overall Fastest Tamiya' category.
  2. Speed runs will be accepted if shown on video; acceptable methods include:
    • On-board GPS:  This shows the car at a standstill with a GPS device mounted showing 0 mph / 0 kph, then show the car go on it’s speed run and come back to show the GPS recorded speed.
    • Radar gun: The car can be filmed going past a hand-held or tripod-mounted radar gun.
    • On-board FPV video:  This shows video from the car itself with the speed displayed on the screen.
  3. Speed runs must have the body shell mounted on the chassis; this can be the original Tamiya shell or a Lexan/hardbody aftermarket one.
  4. To qualify for a Tamiya category you must use original model-specific gearbox casings and internals.  Tamiya high-speed gear sets and aftermarket internal gears fitting inside stock Tamiya gearboxes and on stock gear shafts are also allowed.
  5. If you modify a Tamiya RC with a third-party gearbox, modify the stock gearbox in any way (holes or drilling to accept different gears not intended for that chassis), or custom-build a gearbox yourself you will be entered into the "Custom Modified Tamiya RC" Category.
  6. Silver can entries:  You MUST show the silver can motor in the speed run video.

Up until recently most people have used a GPS with a built-in display, so it was relatively easy to film that device at 0 mph, film the speed run, and film the top speed as one continuous piece of footage.  With the newer GPS units connected to phone apps, there is no built-in display to film, but a few people have submitted footage showing their phones at 0 mph, the speed run, and the phone retrieving the top speed from the GPS in one continuous piece of footage.  Crashes are not allowed in submissions.  Thanks!

I'll try to record it through the phone.. because with the gps box.  Obviously can't show anything since it is linked to the Bluetooth.. sorry about that.. hopefully soon !

4 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

@speedy_w_beans apologies for the slightly off topic comment but are wheelie bars permitted within the rules?

I didn't see it in the rules, unless I just missed it.

There should be no problem with this.

The main concerns that popped up of the past five years include using stock gearboxes (unless you are entering the modified Tamiya category), needing a body shell, explicitly showing silver cans, and discounting top speeds recorded during a run with a crash.  The rules for recording speed runs are important as well.

There have been several people who have used generic body shells, larger tires, front wings, and chassis aero to gain some stability and advantage at higher speeds.  A wheelie bar should not be a problem.

• Thanks 1

58mph/93.3kph.

HobbyWing 10BL120, SkyRC Ares Pro 4.0t, Zeee 5200 7.4v 50C, stock spur 20t pinion, Schumacher wheels/tyres, sorry I don't recall the exact ones, got them cheap on eBay

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

58mph/93.3kph.

HobbyWing 10BL120, SkyRC Ares Pro 4.0t, Zeee 5200 7.4v 50C, stock spur 20t pinion, Schumacher wheels/tyres, sorry I don't recall the exact ones, got them cheap on eBay

Nice!!

Looking like I'm needing to dust off the DT03...🙄🤣