speedy_w_beans

Tamiyaclub Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers (Part 2)

Speedy beans, does it matter what body i run? say a frog body on my blackfoot for aerodynamics and still call it a blackfoot? the math shows my combo can push it to 75mph+ but air gets under it and it flips backwards at 55ish...

@Boomstick, you can run any body you want as stated in rule #3.  Calling it a Blackfoot while running a Frog body is fine; generally we all understand a Blackfoot and Frog share similar chassis and gearboxes; one has larger tires and a truck body vs. buggy tires and a buggy body.  I tend to think of my cars in terms of what they're "mostly" made, or their origins.

• Thanks 1

@speedy_w_beans Not wanting to interfere or stir anything up - your thread/competition and you run it really well - The question just caught my eye and made me think about it, so this is purely from a 'slow thursday conversation' point of view but I would have thought to say 'This is the fastest blackfoot' point of view (or any other model) it would have to be a model consisting of the right body on the right chassis? My rule of thumb would be that anyone watch who saw it fly by would say 'look at that blackfoot go!' which they wouldn't be able to if it were sporting a wedge shaped body designed in a wind tunnel? Surely having the fastest blackfoot means how fast can you make it go with the contraints of a body that makes it a blackfoot? Otherwise its its more a statement about the chassis types. and you have one record which covers, blackfoot, monster beetle, frog etc. because the body doesn't count.

Just a thought and no harm or disrespect intended and sorry if the topics already been covered in this very long thread. None of the records are going to ever be anything I could be competing for - well done to all that take part!

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I went back to Jason1145's original thread and looked to see what sorts of "hybrid" examples we have.  We have buggies with larger rear wheels, buggies with alternate bodies, on-road chassis with non-Tamiya bodies, on-road chassis with Tamiya bodies that were never paired in an official kit, etc.

Jason1145 set the original rules and I've just carried them forward.  He was strict about the rules on page 1, but made allowances for wheels, tires, and bodies.  Not in the rules, but agreed in the original thread, was agreement to disallow top speeds that came from crashes during a run.

I'm trying to maintain consistency with his original thread so we have apples-to-apples conditions for anyone who wants to enter.  An entry today has the same opportunities and constraints an entry had 5+ years ago.  I can see your point about clearly identifying a Blackfoot as a Blackfoot because the body/chassis/wheels/tires match...  At the same time, there's nothing stopping someone from building a Frog and putting Blackfoot wheels/tires on it; we allowed large tires on other chassis in the past.

Thoughts from the rest of the community?  Some options:

1. Maintain the current rules and continue adding to this thread.
  2. Modify the rules, perhaps mothball Jason1145's thread and this thread, create a fresh start?
  3. Other ideas?

-Speedy

I hear what Chris is saying and maybe this is how it should of been from the beginning.

In the interest of consistency, as you mentioned, carry on as is.

Strangely enough I think this is the first time I have really looked at this thread. There are some amazing achievements. If I may on the question of the Frog bodied Blackfoot, I believe it should be be stated somewhere in the result. My reason for saying this is that if I was trying to get my Blackfoot to achieve say 50 mph and I kept failing then someone running exactly the same mechanics but a less brick like body comes along and does 51mph I would like to be able to make an informed decision as to my future attempts.

as I said just a Friday morning sitting on the loo kind of thoughts 

Edited by Busdriver
Typo

Its an age old debate as to when a model stops being the model you bought. I remember all the debates about Clodbusters back in the day, when the only original bit is most cases was the gear boxes (sometimes not even that) and people still called them Clods. My general rules of thumb was that things should be generally recognisable as the original model. The body and main chassis plays a big part of that but things like wheels, shocks etc you have a bit of leeway on. 

Not suggesting you change anything if everyone is happy - just an interesting discussion as always.

Cheers

Chris

Being I brought up the question, I say leave the rules the way they are. Is a frog body on a Blackfoot now a frog? No, not anyone than a Blackfoot body on an rc10 makes it the rc10 a Blackfoot. Am I going to run a frog body? Probably not. Not because I think there should be a rule against it, but because I want to push this thing to 70+ and have it still look like a monster truck. I may lower the suspension, lower the body, run foam tires and a few other things to active my goal but it will still be a Blackfoot chassis, gearbox, steering, handling, etc...

I want back on that top 10 list with a Blackfoot...B)

• Like 1

Once the ground dries up here in New York.  Expect a new tt02 entry.

Standard tt02 kit

Custom Aluminum upper brace

Mod1 5mm steel gears

26t pinion

26t spur

Yea racing motor mount

4370kv Amazon motor

Spektrum 85a esc

35sh foams

Going to try to go as far as I can on 2s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Potter_85 said:

Once the ground dries up here in New York.  Expect a new tt02 entry.

Standard tt02 kit

Custom Aluminum upper brace

Mod1 5mm steel gears

26t pinion

26t spur

Yea racing motor mount

4370kv Amazon motor

Spektrum 85a esc

35sh foams

Going to try to go as far as I can on 2s.

Dear @Potter_85

Thank you for sharing your build ! 

I have vanished down the RC rabbit hole and just coming back for air. I am doing a similar build. 

Can you tell me how you decided on 26T pinion and 26T spur ? I understand that 1:1 is preferable for speed runs, Stew Mac uses a 48T pinion / 49T spur (0:22) and KaizerTest uses a similar configuration. 

Is it better to have larger or smaller 1:1 ? Or other words is 26T / 26T preferable to 48T / 49T ? Thank you for your patience with my NooB question. 

I have been trying to buy gears and been having a difficult time with many places out of stock, do you have a good source for gears ?

Thank you ! Cheers

3 hours ago, museguy said:

Dear @Potter_85

Thank you for sharing your build ! 

I have vanished down the RC rabbit hole and just coming back for air. I am doing a similar build. 

Can you tell me how you decided on 26T pinion and 26T spur ? I understand that 1:1 is preferable for speed runs, Stew Mac uses a 48T pinion / 49T spur (0:22) and KaizerTest uses a similar configuration. 

Is it better to have larger or smaller 1:1 ? Or other words is 26T / 26T preferable to 48T / 49T ? Thank you for your patience with my NooB question. 

I have been trying to buy gears and been having a difficult time with many places out of stock, do you have a good source for gears ?

Thank you ! Cheers

I have no good reason other then local convenience. A hobby shop near me (read 35 minute drive) has a rather large selection of mod .6 and mod 1 gears. Not so much in the 48p. The smallest 48p gear they carry is a 58T.

I  also bought a few mod .6 selections. I am new to speed runs, and have watched Kaizer & Stew macs YouTube videos probably 100 times each.

I might be setting myself up for failure. Or maybe I might be onto something, no matter what the result. I'm pretty sure I'll have fun doing it, and that's the whole point. Once the car hits the road and the data comes back, I'll know if I'm on the right track, for now it sits on the bench with ideas floating around in my head.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:15 PM, Oh How Original said:

@stew_mac - your 67 record is in sight :P I caved and tried 3s!

@speedy_w_beans - what are the rules regarding running on a not flat road?

As can be seen from the video below, my current road is quite limited in terms of width, which means I'm actually not getting full throttle because I'm a wimp :lol: 

There's another road though with a very slight downslope, wondering if that would still be valid for runs?

I've seen others have a bit of downslope, but wanted to confirm before taking a car there to test.

Another entry into RWD class with my Tamiya DT02 Holiday buggy.

65mph/104.6kph.

HobbyWing 10BL120, SkyRC Ares Pro 4.0t, Turnigy Nano-Tech 3000 3s 30C, stock spur 20t pinion, Schumacher wheels/tyres, sorry I don't recall the exact ones, got them cheap on eBay.

Two questions from an absolute beginner speed addict. One: I see you're running a 20T pinion on the original spur. Did you reworked the motor mounting points or is there enough room for a 20T pinion mounting the motor in the 19T pinion mounting holes? 

Two: For now the timing on my brushless motor is set to 0° but according to the manual I can change that up to 26°. Would this change anything in RPM or only in torque? And am I correct that I would only benefit from higher torque if the current torque isn't sufficient to reach maximum RPM because there's not enough torque compared to the resistance the car is experiencing. 

104.6 kph is amazing.  I just ran 52 kph with my wingless sand viper and was a bit ****htened by the speed. I guess you get used to it along the way? 

46 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

I see you're running a 20T pinion on the original spur. Did you reworked the motor mounting points or is there enough room for a 20T pinion mounting the motor in the 19T pinion mounting holes?

No reworking allowed in the tamiya speed run cars, unless you want to be added to the , modified section.

To fit a 20t, you just leave a motor bolt out!

2019-09-12_06-48-14

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Two questions from an absolute beginner speed addict. One: I see you're running a 20T pinion on the original spur. Did you reworked the motor mounting points or is there enough room for a 20T pinion mounting the motor in the 19T pinion mounting holes? 

Two: For now the timing on my brushless motor is set to 0° but according to the manual I can change that up to 26°. Would this change anything in RPM or only in torque? And am I correct that I would only benefit from higher torque if the current torque isn't sufficient to reach maximum RPM because there's not enough torque compared to the resistance the car is experiencing. 

104.6 kph is amazing.  I just ran 52 kph with my wingless sand viper and was a bit ****htened by the speed. I guess you get used to it along the way? 

Oops. Is ****htened a word I can't use here? It seems it has been asterixed or maybe my spelling control tricked me 🤪

• Haha 1

English isn't my native language, I just meant I got a bit afraid by the speed of the car. Didn't mean to be disrespectful. 

Not that I'm going to try to enter any speed runs on this thread, but I do have a question...is anyone performing these speed runs with a gyro for steering stabilization (or is everyone doing that)?  Just wondering since some of the newer drag racers like the DR10 include receiver units with integrated VSC.

I didn't and not plan to use a gyro in the future. I will however gonig to try to enter some speed runs on this thread. Just need some time to figure out how to get the video from my phone onto here :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dmelczer said:

Not that I'm going to try to enter any speed runs on this thread, but I do have a question...is anyone performing these speed runs with a gyro for steering stabilization (or is everyone doing that)?  Just wondering since some of the newer drag racers like the DR10 include receiver units with integrated VSC.

My 2p, but i class gyros as cheating.

The challenge, is building a Tamiya to be quicker than it was ever designed , and being able to drive it, otherwise its like just ,using 'toys' with the wife, and claiming you're the greatest lover...

• Haha 3

I’m going to give this a go with my TL01 when the weather clears up. It’s running a 10bl120 with an etronix 6.5t sensored motor. 23t pinion on standard gear set, with a lightened drive shaft. No clue how fast it would be but anything around 50mph should be fun!

1 hour ago, Tamiyastef said:

Just need soe time to figure out how to get the video from my phone onto here :) 

YouTube! 

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

Over the past 2-1/2 years I've enjoyed watching speed run videos and have kept the listings up to date.  @Jason1145 started it all with his first thread in 2016, and I continued it with this thread in 2019, but it's time for someone else to start a part 3 thread (or start a new competition completely).

I've been a part of Tamiyaclub since 2011 and have enjoyed connecting with several people here.  I'll continue to visit Tamiyaclub periodically, but it's time to pass the baton.  It's up to you to choose a new admin for the rankings.

Thanks,

Speedy

• Sad 3

@speedy_w_beans Very  grateful to you to keep this thread alive and the listings up to date. I'm also sad because I can only hope that a member with the same skills and dedication will take over.

I just got into speed runs (a bit late as usual) and started a speed run Grasshopper build to see how far I could push it. 

But if it wasn't for you putting all this effort into this thread, I probabky wouldn't have discovered this aspect of RCing, so really really thank you for this.

🙏🙏🙏