speedy_w_beans

Tamiyaclub Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers (Part 2)

On 3/20/2022 at 11:51 AM, speedy_w_beans said:

Hi everyone,

Over the past 2-1/2 years I've enjoyed watching speed run videos and have kept the listings up to date.  @Jason1145 started it all with his first thread in 2016, and I continued it with this thread in 2019, but it's time for someone else to start a part 3 thread (or start a new competition completely).

I've been a part of Tamiyaclub since 2011 and have enjoyed connecting with several people here.  I'll continue to visit Tamiyaclub periodically, but it's time to pass the baton.  It's up to you to choose a new admin for the rankings.

Thanks,

Speedy

Thanks for all you efforts speedy!

• Like 1

Made a few passes over the weekend with my new motor and battery. Pretty happy with the results.

• Like 5

No obligation but if stew_mac wants to take over from Speedy he has my vote.

On 3/20/2022 at 3:37 AM, Tamiyastef said:

I just got into speed runs (a bit late as usual) and started a speed run Grasshopper build to see how far I could push it.

Can’t wait to see what speeds you can get it to, I’m doing the same with my grasshopper. I’m not planning on putting too much effort into it though, more of a see what I can do with whatever I have laying around kind of build. Hoping he weather will be nice enough next weekend so I can finally see what it can do.

• Like 1

Had a first attempt today with my Grasshopper. Just standard 540 silver can but on 3S. Got it to 45 kph without going flat out for a significant distance. Then I got proof I wasn't actually fit enough for this today... So back to the workbench and see if we can repair the chassis or have to replace it. 

Screenshot_20220327-213834_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220327-214003_Gallery.jpg

20220327_214650.jpg

20220327_214737.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 7:22 PM, Tamiyastef said:

Two questions from an absolute beginner speed addict. One: I see you're running a 20T pinion on the original spur. Did you reworked the motor mounting points or is there enough room for a 20T pinion mounting the motor in the 19T pinion mounting holes? 

Two: For now the timing on my brushless motor is set to 0° but according to the manual I can change that up to 26°. Would this change anything in RPM or only in torque? And am I correct that I would only benefit from higher torque if the current torque isn't sufficient to reach maximum RPM because there's not enough torque compared to the resistance the car is experiencing. 

104.6 kph is amazing.  I just ran 52 kph with my wingless sand viper and was a bit ****htened by the speed. I guess you get used to it along the way? 

Sorry I didn't see this.

So, you just remove the top motor screw and run with a single one to fit a 20t pinion, this is allowed as per the rules.

I don't know anything about motor timing though, I assume mine is still set to 0 or however it came from the factory.

It's definitely nerve racking doing these speeds with a rwd buggy that was definitely never supposed to go anywhere near this fast, theirs also very little grip, the road isn't flat (has centre camber) but I've had some quite huge crashes with my buggy, some on video, some not, the worst I have done is smashed a wheel (which wasn't Tamiya branded) and broke a shock tower.

Many slides on the roof did ruin a couple of bodies and mounts, but that's to be expected.

I also broke my home made diffuser, but again, easy to replace, I've now made a hopefully much improved one and plan to get back out in the coming weeks and knock Stew off the top spot :D 

• Thanks 1

On another note, just seen Speedys post, has anyone else now taken this over, or has a fresh thread been created that I missed?

11 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

On another note, just seen Speedys post, has anyone else now taken this over, or has a fresh thread been created that I missed?

Not that I know of 😪

Unless I missed something no has taken over or has started a new one yet? If no one wants to and/or has any objections to it, i’ll start a part 3 (I’ll give it a few days for replies before doing so) I check the forum multiple times a day, just tend to only login or post from my tablet which is usually on the weekends. As long as it doesn’t disqualify me from participating I’d be glad to take over.

• Like 1

I would love someone to take this over or start a new one. So when you want to do this I would be grateful. 🙏👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ImALlama said:

Unless I missed something no has taken over or has started a new one yet? If no one wants to and/or has any objections to it, i’ll start a part 3 (I’ll give it a few days for replies before doing so) I check the forum multiple times a day, just tend to only login or post from my tablet which is usually on the weekends. As long as it doesn’t disqualify me from participating I’d be glad to take over.

You get my vote! 👋

Feel a bit of a fraud, as I've not run anything yet in this 2nd page..(in my defense, the last 3 yrs haven't been, urm , normal?) 

I'm currently in joint 2nd in the 'Members with the most cars on the list' with 11, but have enough cars now, to try and get Jason's 17 , top spot 😏

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 6:31 PM, Wooders28 said:

You get my vote! 👋

Feel a bit of a fraud, as I've not run anything yet in this 2nd page..(in my defense, the last 3 yrs haven't been, urm , normal?) 

I'm currently in joint 2nd in the 'Members with the most cars on the list' with 11, but have enough cars now, to try and get Jason's 17 , top spot 😏

No need to feel like a fraud, think most the list hasn’t run in the 2nd page, I think most people just ran for fun and only a small handful of us have more of a defined goal we are going for that causes us to keep trying over and over again till we achieve it. If you’re not trying to be the fastest overall or chassis or whatever not much reason for people to keep doing runs.

Also, I am hoping to have part 3 started tomorrow and if weather allows a speed run or two... and probably a broken grasshopper :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ImALlama said:

I think most people just ran for fun and only a small handful of us have more of a defined goal we are going for that causes us to keep trying over and over again till we achieve it.

Quickest off-road!,

Although I was overall quickest at one point, I doubt I'm going to beat 152mph with an off road tamiya chassis..😳😬, so 67.3mph in 2wd to beat and I'm already quickest in 4wd? 

Plus the 'most cars' trophy 😏

Time flies. For me finding a suitable spot for speed runs has been the hold back.

I'm thinking of breaking the flying brick back out seeing if i can hit the magical 62mph mark again.... I hit it once already but crashed on the slowdown in grass so it didn't count... and i still havent even started on the king cab i bought to do speed runs with... I bought a 69 GTO and have been obsessed with it for 2 years now and kind of forgot about my other toys...

311990488_10159876478608954_6291485985735666862_n.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boomstick said:

a 69 GTO

That's one nice and shiny reason to slow down (pun intended) on other toys :)

Doesn't Kyosho made a GTO on the Fazer 2 chassis? Could be nice to have a 1/10th one also...

10 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

That's one nice and shiny reason to slow down (pun intended) on other toys :)

Doesn't Kyosho made a GTO on the Fazer 2 chassis? Could be nice to have a 1/10th one also...

Yes they do! but sadly its a 67, not a 69... i searched and i can't believe no one makes even a 69 judge r/c body or car... 67, yes, 70 yes, no 68/69....

TT02R 4WD class

Top speed 55mph/88.51kmh

Running a 3s Zee lipo battery, hobbywing 10bl120 esc and a castle 4600kv brushless motor. Highspeed  Gear set, 27t pinion. Gravity RC GRC 124GTB Tires.

My GPS screen doesn't display the little Icon at the top saying the high speed, but I verified that is it accurate.

• Like 1

@GmcTyphoon I don't want to be a spoilsport but I thought runs with a crash or tumble couldn't count as an official record. Doesn't seem to be in the rules on page 1 of this thread though... Maybe @speedy_w_beans can clarify?

14 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

@GmcTyphoon I don't want to be a spoilsport but I thought runs with a crash or tumble couldn't count as an official record. Doesn't seem to be in the rules on page 1 of this thread though... Maybe @speedy_w_beans can clarify?

Yeah I'm not sure. 49mph would be the highest then. It technically didn't crash on that run, Just did a nice flip and landed haha.  

Hi folks, I stopped maintaining this thread awhile ago.  There is a part 3 with a different maintainer you should use to enter speed runs.  Thanks.

• Thanks 2