Jonathon Gillham

Tamiya nut driver kit tool

Ok so I should know the answer and have made a token effort of checking a TT02 manual to see if it had the answer but it didn't.

The nut driver wrench thing thats included in the kits - what sizes are they? I know the big one is 7mm and used for wheel nuts. What about the others? Specifically, the next biggest size - is it 5mm or 5.5mm? I have worn one out and so am going to buy a proper one. Its only taken 3 years...

I have all arrowmax tools and like them and will most likely buy the nut driver to match. But how good is 74085 as it isn't much more to get this kit than just a nut driver. Worthwhile?

10 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

7mm , 5.5mm , 4.5mm , 4mm . ;)

Thank you, I was 99% sure it was 5.5mm but 5mm nut drivers are pretty common so had that doubt which meant I asked as they are really expensive to buy the wrong one!

Shop around re the Craft Set - I got mine from Japan for $20 posted.

Its pretty good but the smaller drivers will stick in the larger handle if removing rusted or overly thread locked fixings with pressure.

Best to use it purely for more delicate stuff - where it excels 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Shop around re the Craft Set - I got mine from Japan for $20 posted.

Its pretty good but the smaller drivers will stick in the larger handle if removing rusted or overly thread locked fixings with pressure.

Best to use it purely for more delicate stuff - where it excels 😉

Thanks for the tip. I was interested because the arrowmax nut driver is NZD18 and the tool kit is NZD32 so it seemed better value to get the kit, especially since it should be Tamiya quality. The JIS drivers would be good too. However, if the drivers come out of the handle that won't do, especially since its my 8th buggy which needs the 5.5mm nut driver and that often requires a lot of effort to get things done. I also have the rest of the hex drivers already.

Also need a new tip for my electric screwdriver. I have arrowmax but the 2mm has rounded off pretty quickly. Thinking I'll get the MIP tip just in 2mm, they are expensive but apparently amazing.

• Like 1

You NEED the handle on the Tamiya drivers if you are wrenching with any sort of gusto, and it gets quite tedious swapping it over all the time.

I don't have the MIP driver bits, but I have their handled drivers and they are amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, berman said:

You NEED the handle on the Tamiya drivers if you are wrenching with any sort of gusto, and it gets quite tedious swapping it over all the time.

Haha funny you say that, I'm seriously tempted to get another cordless screwdriver so I don't have to swap out the 2mm and 2.5mm tips.  Lazy huh.  Although, I spent 3 hours yesterday on my 8th buggy doing all oils (3 diffs and 4 shocks) and also a general strip and clean, so could sort of justify another one.  Since I went super cheap ($40 Ozito from Bunnings) I should probably buy a better quality one and use the Ozito for the little screws.  It struggles on some of the bigger stuff (but is way better than my arm struggling).

MIP and Hudy are the 2 that everyone recommends on every forum, with Arrowmax 3rd.  I like Arrowmax as they are much more affordable, but will be replacing the tips with MIP or Hudy when I need new ones.  Still far cheaper doing it this way than buying MIP or Hudy to begin with.  I think it was user error which ruined the 2mm driver tip as I wasn't paying attention (and should have been using the hand tool) and stripped a screw on the back of my engine, I think that rounded the 2mm driver bit at the same time.

I can be really special sometimes, and often wonder why I ended up thinking I could strip down these cars and rebuild them.

1 hour ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Definitely yes to cordless tools  @Jonathon Gillham

No way I’d even launch my Dremel at the scale of this debate though 😂

74085 is for gentler stuff imo

Hmmm, never considered the dremel, hate to think what it could do to a toy car. Did use my impact driver for some of the big bolts on the 8th car, then bought new bolts and a cordless screwdriver...

Ordered the Arrowmax purple 5.5mm nut driver and the MIP cordless screwdriver 2mm bit. I hope my wife doesn't look closely at the credit card, 3 orders in 4 days from rcmart and rcjaz. Of course neither had both the things i needed so that meant separate orders today, and I added some bearings (see other thread about a car that eats them). I had ordered pinions and some other bits the other day too, all pretty small orders but 3 in a row will stand out

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Haha funny you say that, I'm seriously tempted to get another cordless screwdriver so I don't have to swap out the 2mm and 2.5mm tips.  Lazy huh.

I don't own any electric screwdrivers, so no, having a second one doesn't make me think you're lazy... any lazier than owning the first one :lol:

The only time I really REALLY wanted one was doing the 50-100ish 2mm screws on the 40ft container of my 1/14 truck, I must have carpal tunnel or something in my hands because after that, I just about couldn't hold a beer (and you know ***** serious when you can't hold a beer...) :lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, acprc said:

Always use a cordless drill when taking apart one of the large 1/8 scale Tamiya nitro. Far too many screws otherwise. Of course if you have deep pockets there is always 74089. Its a Makita driver branded for Tamiya.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/74089screwdriver/index.htm

That's too bad, I already chose red for my power tools (Milwaukee), I know that by this point they are all Chinese from neighboring factories, I just don't want to have to deal with anymore battery styles

Otherwise, I was pleasantly surprised by the RC tool kit feels good, appears to be quality. Just bought one this week to get to the coupon amount. Been putting it off for ages.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

That's too bad, I already chose red for my power tools (Milwaukee), I know that by this point they are all Chinese from neighboring factories, I just don't want to have to deal with anymore battery styles

Even if you knew about it its unlikely you would have bought it - NZD342 compared to around NZD200 for the Hitachi which is what most people think of as the gold standard. It comes with some driver bits though!

Yeah tools are ridiculous here. 

I did actually consider getting a Milwaulkee 1/2" impact driver for my Chev. I have a compressor, 50m air line and an old impact gun but thats in a storage unit 10kms from home. A battery operated driver would be sweet but like you said, stupid money over here, and you need the big Ah battery which is nearly the same $$$!

I am surprised I never bought a cordless screwdriver when I had my 5th scale, if you guys need them for 8th.

Honestly, I don't take mine apart that often that would necessitate a power driver tool. Best to buy quality hand tools for what are usually at most a 15mm long fasteners. I would rather take a bit more time and not strip any threads or round the heads.

The last time I blew up my SMT10 transmission, I used a worn hex driver to remove it, rounded a fastener(countersunk Allen) and had to resort to butchery to get it out. That trans case is now attached to the cross member with 3 screws instead of 4. Shame, it was an alloy trans case now missing an ear.

4 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

Otherwise, I was pleasantly surprised by the RC tool kit feels good, appears to be quality. Just bought one this week to get to the coupon amount. Been putting it off for ages.

Dont feel too bad that Tamiya drill is £187 in the UK and 110v only!

For new members who might get confused...

Don't get an impact driver.  That's for real 1:1 cars for stuck nuts.  Impact driver was too much on some furniture, I tell you.  (I wanted to clear that, just in case some 11 year old member decided to use an impact driver on RC screws.  "Tamiya is the worst!! Every screw breaks the part!!"   lol...  impact driver is not a normal driver.  It can destroy any RC car.)  

Tamiya 74085 tool set is the standard hand tools.  Plastic can get stripped easily, that's why old guys like me prefer to use hand tools.  

If you want, you could get a light duty driver like this one (preferably with power adjustment, which would start around $40 range):  

https://www.amazon.com/SKIL-Rechargeable-4V-Cordless-Screwdriver/dp/B07F23B9FH/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=ryobi+cordless+screwdriver&qid=1565296261&s=hi&sr=1-10

And then get bits like below. 

[Japanese Vessel Bits--I assume these are for Japanese Industrial Standard screws Tamiya uses](for power tools, only two of these will fit)  https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-BW-15/dp/B000AQMJEE/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=JIS+vessel+bit&qid=1565297162&s=gateway&sr=8-6#customerReviews   

[5.5mm and 7mm nut driver bits]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Hex-Shank-5-5mm-Magnetic-Socket-Nut-Driver-Bit-Gray-65mm-Long/352229195883?hash=item52027f006b:g:OQsAAOSwy1ZdHf14

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7mm-CR-V-Magnetic-Nut-Setter-Driver-Bit-Impact-Socket-Adapter-Gray-2pcs/352624021326?epid=2172349347&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item521a078f4e:g:VCoAAOSwuqRdHfcg&enc=AQAEAAAB4BPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qVgp0O6ovcY9DDTqRqPJOv1S48q%2FPfSbrG6iK4nLS1u23zN2Y%2Bvy6m%2BBa6aS4j%2BiPHdO53cD1QZaMcvQjacrudzs5Fm4O34v2gA5qOdZAwbeqllotw%2Fp1tFOzQ1yWyECQAjpgRmAom8kxdFQhTKeIqNIWMCIXh%2BQq8T4O3L30Bya1%2BZpSQ0Yz68%2Fs7HDpR92Zi8IUFU33vI4sDLZ1PSX0teW3VvHq3Khz%2FrJyGwCvlSw%2FbY3mjqpc62d5zzVOv04SqMlH2FL8fb0yhTVNtt2RI7axUwY7RjSWQ7EiWdReiQrOnRpk0DDCJHEMgUGLK20T8FObO%2FqvxJPfjqPubBjCcR3bo0%2FRWpsF3rQ1LF%2FTD%2FVwVRLe0Dta7MdVhGL7YmKWUdUQJ1FnTq3DS8OKMnnI6zZOk63HxStzGKhuhBhrCU%2BKF7WwSVcRiWbdXxoKn68ptP%2FdbfTcDk1HvR7f%2FHDHGMVMHR9MegTZLa7wZB6PgPF5NcRHg6%2B1aULRVScUuAoWzLlmThrzfjCNB3NeymsjT%2BL9p3K9dlQkii8fAtmYJLLJPAKl40U8xaE5HwDchJwj4H5QDgBc%2BTRIa%2F%2Bn0z%2Bb6SxXLYuEXVbemyvXv6OspLGg%3D%3D&checksum=3526240213260119b98199314b98ab7cad0b0e37af90

• Like 1

Not to mention trying to find a 1" impact adapter to a #1 or #2 JIS screwdriver bit :lol::lol::lol:

• Haha 1

Ok so having lauded my old Tamiya 74085 set, its now on its last legs after 4 years hard labour ...

The small driver handles have worn  from repeated in / out to the larger grip and the blades are dulling to the point they risk threading the heads of small stuff 🙄

Is it really worth investing in TRF tools now that I’m confident they’ll get the mileage guys ?

Or are others better ?

Sourcing a full set of TRF kit with stand is going to set me back c. $175 including postage - which is fine if they’re worth it ... but not so much if not 😂

All views much appreciated 

8 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Ok so having lauded my old Tamiya 74085 set, its now on its last legs after 4 years hard labour ...

The small driver handles have worn  from repeated in / out to the larger grip and the blades are dulling to the point they risk threading the heads of small stuff 🙄

Is it really worth investing in TRF tools now that I’m confident they’ll get the mileage guys ?

Or are others better ?

Sourcing a full set of TRF kit with stand is going to set me back c. $175 including postage - which is fine if they’re worth it ... but not so much if not 😂

All views much appreciated 

What kit(s) are you looking at in particular?  That money (I assume you mean USD) will get you a nice Hudy or MIP kit.

From what I can gather Hudy and MIP are the best around, then you have a bunch that are pretty good and much cheaper.  I went with Arrowmax Purple tools for everything.  The price and quality are good and they are a lot cheaper than MIP or Hudy.  So far I've worn out a 2mm driver bit so bought an MIP to replace it, otherwise the Arrowmax have been great.  Also, the purple handles will take Hudy tips when they wear out, so I'll just replace the tips.

In saying that I never considered TRF gear as no one recommended it and it wasn't that easy to find.

It also depends on what you are wanting, mine are all hex drivers for the race cars with a few extras as I need them.  Some individual pieces are stupid money for what they are - shock pliers are expensive but you also need them and its hard to find a substitute.  But also body reamers, they just need to cut through plastic and can be $40.  Same with some hex drivers - the 17mm ones for 8th scale wheel nuts are silly money, especially when Banggood has them that work well for $6 delivered.

• Like 1