TA02 conversion to TA02W

OK ... so does anyone know what parts you need to change to make a standard TA02 chassis the TA02W version. Cheers. 

Bottom arms..... download a couple of manuals from here and you will see the difference. Also I think the front hubs are different iirc.

Swap the rear arms with ones from a TA01 & flip them so they sweep in the opposite way to the TA02’s you will have taken off - this will give you the ‘S’ short part of the conversion. The ‘W’ Wide part is created by the offset & width of the rear wheels used.

edit: ignore the ‘S’ part, just notice you only want the width 👍🏼

TA02W actually uses different parts to create the width than the TA02SW. On the SW it's just the offset wheels to make it wider, on the TA02W it's the front suspension that's different to create the width.

You really only need two parts to make it work. First you need TA01 front knuckles. You can keep the original TA02 lower and upper arms, it's just the extra scrub from the knuckles that gives you the width. You will also need different shafts/dogbones/axles or whatever you want to call them. TA01 knuckles use different bearings so you'll either need TA01 wheel axles and a longer dogbone, or the slightly rare TA02W front universal driveshafts. I'm not sure about the exact length of the dogbone, but there might be a modern CVD alternative that will fit too :)

28 minutes ago, Tizer said:

TA02W actually uses different parts to create the width than the TA02SW. On the SW it's just the offset wheels to make it wider, on the TA02W it's the front suspension that's different to create the width.

You really only need two parts to make it work. First you need TA01 front knuckles. You can keep the original TA02 lower and upper arms, it's just the extra scrub from the knuckles that gives you the width. You will also need different shafts/dogbones/axles or whatever you want to call them. TA01 knuckles use different bearings so you'll either need TA01 wheel axles and a longer dogbone, or the slightly rare TA02W front universal driveshafts. I'm not sure about the exact length of the dogbone, but there might be a modern CVD alternative that will fit too :)

Unless using universal driverhafts, the TA02 driveshafts don't need to be replaced when converting to TA02W. TA02W uses normal TA02 front driveshafts, but TA01 wheel axles.  Also, the TA02W, using TA01 knuckles, uses TA01 king pins too, which are longer than TA02 king pins, so those are needed too.

I haven't tried, but about the same width increase should be feasible by just changing the front wheel axles to the longer type used in the rear of some TA03R's. The spacers between the wheel hexes and the outer wheel bearings would be necessary too, but nothing else.  Finding long TA03 wheel axles might be difficult though, whereas regular TA02W parts needed are easy to get.

1 hour ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Unless using universal driverhafts, the TA02 driveshafts don't need to be replaced when converting to TA02W. TA02W uses normal TA02 front driveshafts, but TA01 wheel axles.  Also, the TA02W, using TA01 knuckles, uses TA01 king pins too, which are longer than TA02 king pins, so those are needed too.

Good point about the king pins, I forgot about those :ph34r:

So the TA02 dogbones are longer than the TA01? I never really mix&matched those parts so didn't have a change to compare. Makes it even easier to convert to TA02W then :)

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

So the TA02 dogbones are longer than the TA01? I never really mix&matched those parts so didn't have a change to compare. Makes it even easier to convert to TA02W then :)

Yes, TA02 front dogbones are longer and actually same length as FF01 and TA03 (front and rear) dogbones.

In the rear, TA01 and TA02 have the same short dogbones, ie. same length as TA01 front.

(Also, the Dirt 4WD chassis ("Hummer") has TA01 wheelaxles and TA02 dogbones on all four, which again means that TA02W universals can be used.)