Sign in to follow this  
jeekelemental

The Delta Ray Buggy (former TA01 - Rough & Ready)

It's another one I'm considering  :D  but for first I would understand if the Beta Montecarlo I've purchased for a bargain price on the bay is well made or not.

• Like 1

I realize that I'm a bit redundant but, after months and with relief, I can say that the car is finished :D
Electronics is definitive, cables setup is satisfying,  suspensions setup have been refined lowering the car wiht the inner spacers in every damper and swapping springs with the yellow medium ones.
I've discovered the cause of that strange chassis flexions: the excess of servo travel caused it because when the steering travel reach its end servo continue to push. Solved by limiting the servo travel via trasmiter (and not with a screwdriver as my usual).

Now I'm forced to paint the body.

IMG_20200120_082846.jpg

• Like 3

I've considered this body Alfa Romeo Giulia Super for a while and when the producer turn its construction from two pieces to one piece I've decided to buy it.
Unfortunately when cutted this body lose part of its shape so I have to build a pair or more of stiffeners... things are going far and far for the quick resto-mod project I've planned months ago. B)

Sorry for bad pic

IMG_20200607_175733.jpg

• Like 4

Unfortunately the Alfa body lost its beautiful and classy shape after cutting it and I'm doing several attempts to carry it back to its original silhouette; my last is about tying it like my mother's sunday roast, to apply some hot air with an hairdryer and let it cool before removing that twine. Last week the target seemed to be reached, I will check if saturday the result is permanent.

IMG_20200711_114024276.jpg

So the search for the body is finished where it was begun.

IMG_20200802_132906.jpg

New Ko Propo ESC ready to be installed for a japanese quality set up.

IMG_20200718_113520969.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/5/2020 at 2:09 PM, Quailane said:

Any more progress?

I'm slowly working on the body that needs extra attention because I want to paint the windows seals instead to use the stickers.
In the search for the definitive set up for cables I've accidentally switched on the ESC so I've fried it... it will be swapped wit a brand new Mtroniks TT60.
This car grows but I'm definetely tired, it's impossible to wait a full week and work on it for only a pair of hours.

On 9/30/2021 at 8:38 AM, jeekelemental said:

I'm definitely a buggy guy! So in the nex weeks I will turn plans in reality.

Hi, what kind of body is this please?
TNX

Max

Definitive Peak 13x2 motor, definitive Robitronic ESC, definitives wiring and tires... still struggling with the body finishing but end titles are even closer! Can't wait to drive it B)

IMG_20220402_124153507_2.md.jpg

• Like 6

My Delta Ray buggy is complete for the 99%, it needs only the hole for the antenna pipe and velcro tape to secure the body to the undertray. Some mistakes have been made while painting the body but are the same mistakes I've made when I'm 16 so it's all ok because this car has been built as a car from the 90s.

IMG_20220501_133252128_3.md.jpg

IMG_20220501_133308358_2.md.jpg

IMG_20220501_133454020_2.md.jpg

• Like 5

The Delta Ray Buggy

This car has started its life as my TA01 Lancia Delta Hf Integrale resto-mod project. Using a custom made TA02's chassis strechted to reach TA01 wheelbase and a twin gear diff set up I was planning to (quick) build a robust car, easy to maintain, with a classic and generous powerplant and with a body that carries the italian tradition for great looking cars.
Quickly I switched to a carbon fiber chassis found on the bay because I can't resist to the appeal of a fiber chassis.
I've lost some months in the search of a body that match my expectations but unfortunately finding well made bodies to use in alternative to Tamiyas is close to impossible so, while considering the idea to keep the Lancia Delta body, this project reach a kind of empasse. Considering that my time at the work bench is ever less (Venice isn't much friendly with people that love cars or little cars) and that I spend a lot of time in front of my computer, to take a breath from work and daily life, surfing the Web looking for infos about the golden era of our hobby when I could learn something only on paper (there aren't clubs in my birthplace and no other guys with much passion for little cars) I've discoverend something about a car I've never heard before: the Yokomo Hot Dog 4, an hybrid based on their YR4 touring chassis implemented with YZ10 buggy DNA, so the inspiration cames!

So I’ve started to consider if it was the case to turn it into something else: I miss my Yokomo and I love to drive TA01 chassis so I’ve started to look for the parts to translate this concept of hybrid in its Tamiya equivalent.

To be honest in several moments I’ve considered to quit before starting but here is it!

Some inspiring concepts are the same of the starting idea: availability of parts involved in the build (with less modifications as possible) and it has to look as a car that could have been built in the 90s.

It's a kind of concept car, not necessarily a race car (as the Hot Dog), not necessarily a kind of dowgraded or rebooted Top Force.

The name choosen is DELTA RAY in tribute to my Lancia Delta HF Integrale (some of its small parts are still in this build) and because it’s closer to a Manta Ray than to a Top Force.

• Like 3

My Delta Ray Buggy hasn't yet hit the ground and some upgrades have been already planned: 3D printed custom shock towers from Tayaki Model's in Japan.

tayaki.md.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 2:01 PM, jeekelemental said:

Unfortunately the Alfa body lost its beautiful and classy shape after cutting it and I'm doing several attempts to carry it back to its original silhouette; my last is about tying it like my mother's sunday roast, to apply some hot air with an hairdryer and let it cool before removing that twine. Last week the target seemed to be reached, I will check if saturday the result is permanent.

IMG_20200711_114024276.jpg

How could I have missed this?
As a big fan of the Euro Crime movies this body is a must.
I would paint it like the Italian police cars of the 70ies or dark red, without the front windshield with Maurizio Merli inside with his gun.
I'm a big fan of Maurizio Merli and Maurizio Merli Jr. is a friend of mine.
This would be a marvelous present for him.

Sorry if I wen off topic but this body is a real must have.

Max

• Confused 1