TheBigRed407

DT03 rebuild/revamp to fun rig

So, I finally have all the parts to carry out a few changes on my DT03 after taking much inspiration from @ThunderDragonCy‘s thread on his build. 

Nothing particularly fancy. Swapping out the from C hubs for alloy ones from Jazrider along with some GPM alloy Blitzer uprights to allow the use of Blitzer wheels all round. I also have an alloy servo mount to fit along with a Kimbrough servo saver to hopefully sharpen up the steering a little. I didn’t fancy the turnbuckle set hop up as I’m not too fussed for fine tuning the handling etc...yet anyway!!

I’ll post more pics as I progress, but in the mean time...here’s it all set out on the operating...I mean kitchen table!!

A37CDBEA-33B7-4FAF-BD6E-DE80A7CA4565.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Your operating table looks good.  In comparison, my operating table looks like many patients expired on it.  

I've got a pair of drive shafts on order too.  Those tires look big.  Let us know how the motor temperature fairs.  

15 hours ago, Juggular said:

Your operating table looks good.  In comparison, my operating table looks like many patients expired on it.  

I've got a pair of drive shafts on order too.  Those tires look big.  Let us know how the motor temperature fairs.  

I’m hoping motor temps don’t fair too badly. It’s more or less the same tyres ThunderDragonCy used on theirs, but my fronts are a different tread pattern. It has a Tamiya hop up motor, can’t remember if it’s sport or torque tuned version though :unsure:, along with the stock 17t pinion. Runs the kit ESC and a 2s lipo. 

• Like 1

I wish DT03 had more options on pinions. That way, upgrading to bigger tires would be easier... I forget what @ThunderDragonCy has, maybe a brushless motor?  A bench test would show that a brushless would have 5 times more torque than a brushed.  Still, I would give it a try.  The thing about RC is, it's a hobby!  Testing is fun.  If it works well, we all learn from from your project.  If it doesn't work well, that gives you an excuse to upgrade.  I'd say that's a win-win situation.  ;)

• Like 1

Never run anything less than 13.5 brushless in mine, but onky time motor temps were an issue was running a silly 8.5 on grass. The 17t pinion only gives a 9.2 gearing which is pretty low. Works nicely with the big tyres in my experience. The Mad Bull uses the same gearing with a silver can and monster truck wheels. You'll be fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Juggular said:

I wish DT03 had more options on pinions

It's possible to run 16,17,19 and 20t pinions. The 16t running in the 17t position gives about 60% mesh, but still ran 4300kv on 3s without an issue, the 20t works if you only hold the motor with one bolt, ran this with a 7700kv on 3s without issue , (3800kv /3s with sand ingress didn't end well though...)

I think a brushless motor will be next on my list once I get this bout of modifications completed. Not sure what to go for though and whether to stick with the stock ESC or not <_<

Edited by TheBigRed407
Had quoted a reply I hadn’t meant to.

What do you think of the bridges are they a decent upgrade? I’m waiting on a few alloy bits to turn up. You had any thoughts on a motor yet? 

On 8/11/2019 at 7:53 PM, Seanster43 said:

What do you think of the bridges are they a decent upgrade? I’m waiting on a few alloy bits to turn up. You had any thoughts on a motor yet? 

I’ll be honest I don’t know on the bridge pieces. I have read that the chassis can be a weak point, although I don’t intend to run mine particularly hard though. I think they will add a little strength and are an easy fit, for not a lot of money. I’ve added alloy front C hubs and uprights, again not so sure they help with anything other than a little strength and bling!!

Motor wise, definitely brushless, but nothing too wild. I’m  it fussed for blistering speed, plus with the big wheels and tyres, anything too tasty will lead to high motor temps and put more strain on the gears etc. Probably something 13.5t or there abouts and sticking with the 17t pinion.

Terrible pics sorry, I’m no photographer and only use my iPhone :lol:

Here I’ve fitted the 3 racing driveshafts along with the Tamiya metal outdrives at the gearbox end and screwed it back together. Time will tell regarding their durability, but they’re certainly a lot more compact than the standard set up, giving a bit more clearance in the suspensions movement too. 

D5F21F4C-B8D1-4EE7-8E49-4A83E12611AC.jpeg

9CBC9FA5-4F20-47AB-A9B5-5F9BD486F45F.jpeg

• Like 1

I've had two DT03s snap at the nose so far (just bashing, 2S lipo and brushless) so on my last chassis build I added some adhesive between the two halves before screwing together. So far, so good. Just a heads up.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NobbySideways said:

I've had two DT03s snap at the nose so far (just bashing, 2S lipo and brushless) so on my last chassis build I added some adhesive between the two halves before screwing together. So far, so good. Just a heads up.

I’d seen a couple of posts here and there showing them snapping occasionally. I’m just going to run it for now and see what happens. Come winter I’m going to strip and rebuild it, so may consider adding some adhesive then.