Sign in to follow this  
Superba

Konghead Pinion

Just need some help and advice. The 18 tooth pinion has gone all pointy and looks worn. I need a new one but think steel would be better. I run a super stock BZ as the engine. Where do I get a steel pinion from and how do I know it has the right angle to it. All seems a little mystifying to me

There are only a few things you need to know to source a new pinion.

• Number of teeth:  In this case, 18
  • Pitch of the teeth:  Defines the spacing of the teeth around the circumference of the pinion.  In this case, 0.6 mod (or 0.6 module).  This is a metric pitch/spacing.
  • Material:  The kit pinions many times are basic aluminum, but you can source pinions made from aluminum (with a hard coating), steel, and sometimes hardened steel.  Steel is better than the kit aluminum.
  • Manufacturer:  Some third-party manufacturers include Robinson Racing (USA) and RW Racing (UK/Europe).  Check with your favorite hobby store to see what they carry.

I'm in the USA, so in this case I'd get a Robinson Racing 1118.

• Like 1

No problem.  Most pitches are pretty clear - 32p, 48p, and 64p are all imperial measurements, and 0.8 mod, 0.6 mod, 0.5 mod, and 0.4 mod are all metric measurements.  Unfortunately there are a few pinions listed as metric 48p, which is a complete misnomer as the measurement can't be both at the same time.  This confusing terminology usually means the gear is actually 0.6 mod.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:01 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

Unfortunately there are a few pinions listed as metric 48p, which is a complete misnomer as the measurement can't be both at the same time.  This confusing terminology usually means the gear is actually 0.6 mod.

Doesn't "metric 48p" mean 0.5? Since 48p is about 0.53 metric - It's too big difference, but 0.6 metric is interchangeable with 42p (some Traxxas gears) an 0.4 is almost same as 64p

13 hours ago, Honza said:

Doesn't "metric 48p" mean 0.5? Since 48p is about 0.53 metric - It's too big difference, but 0.6 metric is interchangeable with 42p (some Traxxas gears) an 0.4 is almost same as 64p

Is about and almost the same, exactly the reason better not to mix metric with imperial dp. I only had a good results with 'big' teeth .8 mod and/or 32dp

On 8/10/2019 at 9:28 PM, Honza said:

32dp and 64dp are so close to 0.8mod and 0.4mod that they might as well be the same so people used the names interchangeably.

Where things go astray is that the preferred imperial size between those two sizes is 48dp and the preferred metric size 0.6mod. while both numerically divide the larger/ smaller sizes, they are not the same since the scales are inverse - choosing the number inbetween is like choosing halfway between 0.5 and 1 on one scale and halfway between 1 and 2 on the other, and 1/1.5 does not equal 0.75. Therefore 48dp and 0.6mod are incompatible as 48dp has finer teeth. 48dp is close-ish to 0.5mod and 0.6mod close-ish to 42dp, but not like 32dp/0.8mod and 64dp/0.4mod are. 42dp and 0.5 mod are not common, at least in the RC world.

Naturally in the US they preferentially use the imperial names so some genius (moron) thought to market 0.6mod gears as "metric 48dp" so customers would have some idea about how big they were without needing to be familiar with the module scale.

MST also makes some 0.6 mod steel pinions. 

Yeah racing make hard coated aluminum 0.6 mod pinions. 

Ive always had good luck with RW racing gears.