ralphee

Kyosho Ultima 2019

I'm pretty anxious to get my hands on this. It looks sweet. Thanks for the pics.:)

• Like 1

The more I think about this, it’s the classic binary call.

Old or new ? Fun or refined ? Nostalgia or pretending ? Real or repro ?

And the re re spec here seems to be drifting a little ... whilst the price stays high 

If push comes to shove, I’ll probably buy + restore vintage first guys.

Not least because I’m too old to clearly remember my first, it would be fun + how best to otherwise gauge the re re ?

And if enough people agree with me I’ll then snap up a discounted re re bargain 😂

51 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

And the re re spec here seems to be drifting a little ... whilst the price stays high 

Not least because I’m too old to clearly remember my first, it would be fun + how best to otherwise gauge the re re ?

And if enough people agree with me I’ll then snap up a discounted re re bargain 😂

Don’t know if i could justify paying $280 for an ultima when i paid $275 for an optima 2 yrs ago. I said no originally but now i am on the fence since tamiya hasnt done anything

• Like 1

Im ALL about these rere. Im pretty much the target audience. I have the money to spend, and Kyosho and Tamiya are releasing the buggies I yearned for as a kid.  The vintage stuff is still fun on the track and the modern/fresh plastics isn't brittle like an original vintage buggy would be. Bring on the optima-mid!

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

2 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

Don’t know if i could justify paying $280 for an ultima when i paid $275 for an optima 2 yrs ago. I said no originally but now i am on the fence since tamiya hasnt done anything

What do you mean? They just brought back out the Super Astute. Their first race buggy rere since the Dyna Storm. And if you want a track capable 4wd they still have the Top Force, Egress, and BS Avante out as well.

6 minutes ago, GTodd said:

What do you mean? They just brought back out the Super Astute. Their first race buggy rere since the Dyna Storm. And if you want a track capable 4wd they still have the Top Force, Egress, and BS Avante out as well.

The astute was not a great car, i had an original.  To heavy, front bulkhead broke easily and bronze bushings everywhere. I meant they haven’t announced anything recently that is a new re re, just another run of the top force and avante black. I just got an egress in the spring that i like very much, night and day from the avante i had 30 yrs ago. 

• Like 1

Not sure if you’re agreeing or standing apart on vintage @GTodd ?

But re re is fine if you’re ok with it’s flaws 

Personally struggle with claims Tamiya ever produced a race buggy though.

Top Force Evo is their closest unhopped, with an Egress coming a close glass cannon.

Beyond both and we’re into TRF + fun separate thread sir 👍

2 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Not sure if you’re agreeing or standing apart on vintage @GTodd ?

But re re is fine if you’re ok with it’s flaws 

Personally struggle with claims Tamiya ever produced a race buggy though.

Top Force Evo is their closest unhopped, with an Egress coming a close glass cannon.

Beyond both and we’re into TRF + fun separate thread sir 👍

Id consider the Astute Family and Dynastorm race buggies. The Astute won a championship , I forgot which and they were competitive at the club levels. Not sure why the Dyna Storm didn't win anything, thats a FANTASTIC driving and proper race buggy.  EVEN the Top Force at the club level was good. The issue was Tamiya never really had a fully dedicated race team with alot of drivers that could prove their worthamd develop the chassis'.

3 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

The astute was not a great car, i had an original.  To heavy, front bulkhead broke easily and bronze bushings everywhere. I meant they haven’t announced anything recently that is a new re re, just another run of the top force and avante black. I just got an egress in the spring that i like very much, night and day from the avante i had 30 yrs ago. 

I don't know, I never broke the front bulkhead and I still think the ball differential. I think internet lore has over exaggerated both issues.  Weight, yeah it is heavy I worked around that with double wound low wire count modifieds. The Astute is a new rere. 

21 minutes ago, GTodd said:

I don't know, I never broke the front bulkhead and I still think the ball differential. I think internet lore has over exaggerated both issues.  Weight, yeah it is heavy I worked around that with double wound low wire count modifieds. The Astute is a new rere. 

I never had a problem with my ball diff either and i ran a twister hurricane motor  in mine but i did break the front bulkhead 2 or 3 times without much abuse. After a year i ended up selling it to a friend. Only positive with astute is it is a good looking buggy. 

I know nothing about the dyna storm i was out of rc by then. If they ever re re re that i would def buy

Yeah, Kyosho's re releases are top quality. The Optima is incredibly great. Even the old concept of the Tomahawk is a lot of fun (with ball differential). So I'm really looking forward to the Ultima! I'm also excited about the option parts  Kyosho will offer. The prices are high, but I love high quality tuning parts.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

the re re spec here seems to be drifting a little ... whilst the price stays high 

I like the way kyosho have tackled the re release cars, old school looks with innards to cope with modern elecs, perfect! 

Price wise,  the Ultima was just under £100 in '87 , which is just under £280 in today's money with inflation (according to Google 🙄) , and a much better car imo.

• Like 5

Looks like this has been pushed back to December according to Tamico ETA preorder. I was wondering what was going on since the initial reports were a mid-October release.

Well ******. Then again thinking about it I doubt I'd be able to get my hands on one very quickly being down here in Aus. Very much dependent on which supplier/store gets their hands on them first, when they start sellling them and a raft of other things.

so what about the car and upgrades? i saw somewhere that the optima ball diff is compatible, just from looking at the gears, it looks like the optima standard and brushless spurs will be compatible too for different gearing options. not sure about the shock lengths, but i'd hope that the repro golds for the optima will fit too

I just got an email from Kyosho America stating that the Ultima 2019 is in stock now. 

For those if you in the USA, get a free poster with each order.  They also have Option House T-shirts.  The below quote and pictures are from the email (copied WITHOUT permission.  I kind of doubt they will mind.):

The wait is over, the 1987 World Champion is in the house. While supplies last, we are including a FREE POSTER with each purchase. The impact of the ULTIMA’s dominant 1,2,3 finish in the 2WD class at the 2nd Electric Off Road World Championship in England in 1987 was felt across the RC car scene. Now Kyosho’s famous ULTIMA turns back the clock with its return as the 8th model in the Kyosho Vintage Series!

We have also reproduced our vintage Kyosho Option House T's, what better way to combo your New Ultima with a little through-back gear. 

Kyosho America Ultima 2019

Kyosho America Option House T-shirts

image.png.7345c818aafab7248e32aaa1db53e54b.png

image.png.acd53100736344d940547efb5b51106b.png

Edited to add:  They misspelled "Champion" in the top picture and used the wrong word "through-back" (should be throw-back).  lol you can tell it's Friday I guess.

• Like 3

OK, I may or may not end up with a re-re Ultima (depends on funding levels), but I NEED one of those shirts!

• Haha 1

And......ordered! Thanks for the heads up @Champ85. Yay! I'm getting a poster! Oh, yeah, and a pretty cool buggy to go with it too ;).

• Like 2

Yeah, I caved and bought 1 kit plus a shirt.   No discount coupons like if I ordered from A Main Hobbies or Tower (if Tower will even stock them - still not showing up on their site).  Got my FedEx email already, so it's being picked up tonight in California.  Hopefully it doesn't burn on the way to me.  :(   I feel bad for the CA peeps dealing with the crazy fires.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xcopy.exe said:

Tower Hobbies now has this listed.  

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXLZRE&P=7

Can't wait.

Thanks for finding it!   Maybe I missed it yesterday because the listing has no picture and I just scrolled through too quickly.  Doh.   But I don't think it comes with a poster like the Kyosho America one so I'm still happy I ordered a kit there.  Time to order a 2nd kit from Tower now.

I am still on the fence on getting this, i love my  re re optima. How come they havent announced any option parts yet. Id assume they will  have carbon towers, ball diff ect. If they announce that it may push me to order. I really always wanted a turbo ultima as a kid and turbo optima mid se

• Like 1

The possibility of a Turbo Ultima in the future held me back for about a second but then again I wasn't able to wait out the Javelin and grabbed an Optima I'd been holding off on. I'm weak, lol. I decided I preferred the Ultima Pro better anyway. Besides, it will be cool to have a shelf mate for my original RC10 as they were rivals back then.  

• Like 1