nowinaminute

Looking for a couple of Mad Bull/DT01 parts

I won a Mad Bull for £12 on ebay but its missing a few parts. I've put the wheels on my Fighter Buggy RX for now but I'd like to get the Bull back in action eventually.

The problem is, I don't want to spend over 2x the cost of the whole thing on parts trees just to get 4 parts so I thought I would put the feelers out just in case anyone has any bits laying around they wouldn't mind offloading for cheap!

I need the following bits:

Motor cap thingy 

Screenshot_20190810-200712_Drive.jpg.083c327d7ae272b34f048f5b5faa588e.jpg

Servo mount thingies

Screenshot_20190810-200820_Drive.thumb.jpg.1991926ec72c186eacdeeb51b7128cff.jpg

Battery retainer thingy ( I could do with 2 of these actually, my RX is missing it too I think)

Screenshot_20190810-200837_Drive.jpg.b6a406d24782e8fbeae515226cb6a76d.jpg

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Hi, I have a mad bull and have af few suggestions for you. I modified mine for brushless and wanted more choices for pinion gear. Therefore I bought a motor mount/cap that allows you to adjust the motor position. It is originally made for a Blackfoot, but suits the Mad Bull equally fine. Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Blackfoot-Adjustable-Motor-Mount-Kit-w-Gear-Cover-Frog-Monster-Beetle/273899792092

Also, in stead of putting in that old plastic servo mount and all the other stuff from back in the day when the speed controller was mechanic, I made my own mounts. It just took some 1mm aluminium plate and a bit of sawing and filing. Oh, and by emptying out the electrics compartment I discovered it handily fits a LIPO shorty. So the weight is more centered now when the battery is in. The bottom is padded a bit for the sake of the battery, and the two large screws that hold the receiver deck are finger screws from a PC cabinet for easíer disassembly if I want the battery out.

This is not very costly at all. Of course, that depends on your need and existing battery collection. the servo placement and usage of ball links helps improve steering but requires a tiny bit cut off the chassis to fit vs the original mounting. If you are interested I will try and hunt down the poster who inspired me as I did not think all of it up myself.

However you proceed, have fun :-)

1a.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakob TK said:

Hi, I have a mad bull and have af few suggestions for you. I modified mine for brushless and wanted more choices for pinion gear. Therefore I bought a motor mount/cap that allows you to adjust the motor position. It is originally made for a Blackfoot, but suits the Mad Bull equally fine. Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Blackfoot-Adjustable-Motor-Mount-Kit-w-Gear-Cover-Frog-Monster-Beetle/273899792092

Also, in stead of putting in that old plastic servo mount and all the other stuff from back in the day when the speed controller was mechanic, I made my own mounts. It just took some 1mm aluminium plate and a bit of sawing and filing. Oh, and by emptying out the electrics compartment I discovered it handily fits a LIPO shorty. So the weight is more centered now when the battery is in. The bottom is padded a bit for the sake of the battery, and the two large screws that hold the receiver deck are finger screws from a PC cabinet for easíer disassembly if I want the battery out.

This is not very costly at all. Of course, that depends on your need and existing battery collection. the servo placement and usage of ball links helps improve steering but requires a tiny bit cut off the chassis to fit vs the original mounting. If you are interested I will try and hunt down the poster who inspired me as I did not think all of it up myself.

However you proceed, have fun :-)

1a.jpg

2.jpg

Good tips!

I've already scheduled the steering link mod, it seems to make a big difference.

The servo holder idea looks great too. I have some nice polycarb sheets I could probably use for that or get some aluminium. Definitely something to look into down the line.

I like the battery idea but personally, I prefer to keep it all the way back on the DT-01 as I feel it put's more leverage on the suspension and makes it work a little better.

2 hours ago, Jakob TK said:

If you are interested I will try and hunt down the poster who inspired me as I did not think all of it up myself.

Would love to see it, thanks!

I made some battery retainers for the kids ones from spares that are flip/pivot to open, so faster to change battery.

I think I got the general idea from here. I did have some ball joints and cups and just made a link of the right link and drilled the extra hole in the servo saver and assembled. When it was evident that it chafed a bit on the chassis, I cut to fit and it worked like a charm. 

Also note the idea of putting shrink tubing on the lower arms where they go in the chassis. It took quite some slop and mine still move freely.