netsmithUK

Favourite livery - out of the box?

Not really livery, but my favourite out of the box scheme is definitely the original hotshot box art with the '4wd' coat of arms. 

On 8/11/2019 at 1:26 PM, MadInventor said:

Not really livery, but my favourite out of the box scheme is definitely the original hotshot box art with the '4wd' coat of arms. 

That's definitely in my top 5. 

I think my absolute fave might be the Lunchbox. There's just something so right about that scheme. Colour choice, artwork, just spot on.

For real life liveries, it would kill me to choose but I'm really liking this one atm:

58638-kd1.jpg.a573894c3ac4048b287867911bf5d89b.jpg

I don't know; I never paint anything box-art. ;)

But I always have been partial to the Martini Racing livery, and Tamiya have made excellent use of it over the years. And I still wish they had re-released this kit.

model_58040_01.jpg

• Like 3

I find the Avante in box art pretty hard to beat. I think Tamiya definitely nailed the right color scheme on that one! 

Same thing for the 2001, while I'm less of a fan of the black special color version but that's just me.

• Like 1

As Markbt above - anything with the martini racing markings. Particularly the Alfa155 touring car

There are some very nice Subaru rally and touring car's I would do box art, But for a favourite its a photo finish between Blackfoot or Buggy Champ.

JnRcyLYl.jpg

XdwFuhjl.jpg

• Like 3

All good choices :) Not really thought about it before I asked the question but I'm guessing there is an age thing involved here somewhere. I come from a time before virtual full body wraps we a thing and I guess thats stuck with me. Straight lines, block colour and type seem to be my thing. +1 for the rough Rider

So hard to say.  I'm a big motorsport fan but only really since the mid-naughties.  Motorsport liveries these days change so often it's so hard to fall in love with one.  I know the Martini livery is really important to some, as the JPS is to others (I still recall watching Mansell's Lotus on TV and thinking it looked better than all the other cars) but nothing from that era ever stuck with me.

At heart I'm both a street car fan and a grassroots motorsport fan.  So I prefer my touring cars to be in street colours - I even get upset that so many good rally bodies come with the roof scoops that the street cars never had - and I guess that means I never really liked any of Tamiya's touring or rally liveries.

But being a grassroots fan means I love all the liveries from the early buggies.  They hail from an era where everybody was trying different things and almost all the cars were experimental prototypes built by backyard outfits with welders and engine hoists and books on suspension geometry, not by billion dollar outfits with CAD and CFD.  But then again I never do anything boxart, so I only take inspiration from those early designs and use them to find the lines and shapes and momentum in my own designs.  (Which are usually rubbish, and proof that Tamiya did know what they were doing and that design really isn't as easy as non-designers think it is).

If I had to pick one single livery that I do like, it's the Taisain Porsche.  It helps that the car underneath is a thing of beauty but that colour scheme works perfectly.

23 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

So hard to say.  I'm a big motorsport fan but only really since the mid-naughties.  Motorsport liveries these days change so often it's so hard to fall in love with one.  I know the Martini livery is really important to some, as the JPS is to others (I still recall watching Mansell's Lotus on TV and thinking it looked better than all the other cars) but nothing from that era ever stuck with me.

At heart I'm both a street car fan and a grassroots motorsport fan.  So I prefer my touring cars to be in street colours - I even get upset that so many good rally bodies come with the roof scoops that the street cars never had - and I guess that means I never really liked any of Tamiya's touring or rally liveries.

But being a grassroots fan means I love all the liveries from the early buggies.  They hail from an era where everybody was trying different things and almost all the cars were experimental prototypes built by backyard outfits with welders and engine hoists and books on suspension geometry, not by billion dollar outfits with CAD and CFD.  But then again I never do anything boxart, so I only take inspiration from those early designs and use them to find the lines and shapes and momentum in my own designs.  (Which are usually rubbish, and proof that Tamiya did know what they were doing and that design really isn't as easy as non-designers think it is).

If I had to pick one single livery that I do like, it's the Taisain Porsche.  It helps that the car underneath is a thing of beauty but that colour scheme works perfectly.

Senna’s Lotus?

Livery in the question arguably confines this to professionally branded motorsport vs pro-am sponsorship of buggies / trucks ?

So for me it’s any of the Porsche series - and if I had to go for my absolute favourite it’s got to be the 959.

Although anything in Martini or Rothmans livery always catches my eye 😬

FC7B348B-7ED2-4B8F-A267-6A0C9DD4A78E.jpeg

4BA0BA1D-7616-48C7-AB9D-F6A1EC7C9126.jpeg

• Like 3

@SuperChamp82 yeah that is what I was originally intending. I agree, for whatever reason I think they nailed the majority of the Porsches.

• Like 1

There’s something special about that Paris Dakarr Rally Porsche 959 It gets my vote

• Like 2

On 8/11/2019 at 5:14 PM, Ferruz said:

I find the Avante in box art pretty hard to beat. I think Tamiya definitely nailed the right color scheme on that one! 

Same thing for the 2001, while I'm less of a fan of the black special color version but that's just me.

All Avante, all the time 🤩

The Rothmans 959 for me too - although I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the quintessential Tamiya French Blue/Racing White combo yet: #506 with Penzoil, Gumout, K&N, Bilstein, Jackman Wheels (et al) decals...

Oh, looks like I just did ;o)

Jenny x

• Like 1

Honestly it's a coin toss between the Falcon + Stadium Blitzer for tamiya's own Falcon by a nose.  I think the 959 just edges out the 5 turbo for me in terms of real world livery. 

For me it's the M-05 Mk1 VW Golf in Kamei livery.  I love Volkswagens and I like that there's a real 1:1 car that the car is based on.

45006246511_5e51dcdfa5_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

• Like 2

This isn't out of the box so to speak

But certainly my favourite livery even if it is made up scheme. It screams 1980's!

Pic stolen from hibernaculums rctoymemories page:

DHSIrkc.jpg

• Like 2