netsmithUK

Favourite livery - out of the box?

The Hornet (and Grasshopper for that matter) definitely deserves a mention. With those decal sheets, it was easy to make it look "just like the box" with one can of paint (or none at all, for the Grasshopper), and the orange and yellow stripes looked great with other colors as well, so if your neighbor already had a black Hornet, you could paint yours blue (or whatever) to tell them apart, but it was still clearly a Tamiya Hornet.

Just a fantastic, brilliant, simple design. And neither cow spots nor flames really improve upon it.

Totally agree with the above.

The Hornet SCREAMS '80s and is absolutely delightful in box art.

Come to think, it's indeed the Hornet with its brilliant color scheme that got me right back into the RC world after 20+ years. I saw a kit on ebay, old dreams resurfaced, got the itch again and after a few tormented nights trying to resist temptation I bought it. And Pandora's box was open...

In my humble opinion, any -clumsy-attempt to add features such as cow spots, millennial logos, flames or pink tires to it only ends up underlining how perfect it already is without these wacky extras. Since 1984. A real RC icon.

For me it has to be the Ford ranger👍 for two reasons firstly it just looks so good imo! and 70s style at its best and secondly it was my first tamiya and my mum (God rest her soul🙏) saved every penny of spare money to get me that truck for Christmas!

Tamiya-Ford-F150-Ranger-XLT.jpg

• Like 4

Not to be a curmudgeon guys 😇 but livery isn’t box art  

I love the vintage stuff - and will defend any SRB or 3 Speed box paint job to the hilt - but legacy sponsor stickers were plucked with taste, haste and occasional  (dis)regard for intellectual property by Tamiya

Their innate instinct for epic design - even down to creating sublime box art - has, for me, never been matched - noting few third party royalties were ever claimed (or paid) back in the day ...

By contrast, a motorsport livery has millions spent just designing it - then the  same again in use 

So - it’s not really a fair comparison to be fair but the question is still a good one 😉

• Like 2

Again I'm with @SuperChamp82 I originally meant the livery itself, eg Rothmans, Martini, Gulf etc. but I was just happy to let it slide, when people started posting get kits :)

• Like 1

Porsche 917/20 Pink Pig Livery

pp2.thumb.jpg.396212938574fa358c516cf20cb20e3f.jpg

Porsche designer Anatole Lapine decided in favour of the pink body colour and labelled each of the body parts according to the butcher-style cuts. Porsche caused a sensation at Le Mans 1971 with the Pink Pig.

(Here on a ZooRacing Dogsbollox Body on the TA-07 that my son races at our Club )

• Like 1