Hi!

New to the forum and new to RC models.

I've bought two Tamiya models to start with:

A Super Fighter GR Violet Racer XB, so I can get going straight away.

A Manta Ray (2018) to build my first kit.

Maybe slightly left field choices, but I've wanted a Manta Ray since I was a kid, and I hadn't seen many Violet Racer XBs around.

Thoughts? Any tips or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from you at the start of my Tamiya journey!

B

The one suggestion I can think of at this stage is... dig in, and have fun :)

As you said, you'll get going right away with the Super Fighter, and in the meantime you can start the kit.

I've recently built a Manta Ray 2018 myself, pretty straightforward and enjoyable kit. Should you have any questions or issues along the way, just ask and there will be many here glad to help. Good luck with your Tamiya start and welcome to the forum!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome! I had a super fighter GR once, cool buggy once it had oil filled shocks (CVA dampers) installed.

I would recommend steel pinions and bearings for both. The Manta Ray you will want the alloy motor mount too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome.  

Bearings are a must because it just gives you 15% to speed, 15% acceleration, and 15% more run time.  (One of these was 20%, but I forgot which)  That's not too bad for no added weight or energy consumption.  Manta Ray uses only 1150 bearings and 850 bearings.  Those numbers are actual sizes.  1150 being 5mm x 11mm x 4mm.  And 850 being 5mm x 8mm x 2.5mm.  You can find 5x11x4mm bearings cheap.  Like $2 for ten of them on ebay.  5x8x2.5 bearings are $3 for ten.  I paid $12 for 5 bearings once, and they were hardly rolling.  More $$ generally means better stuff, but not always.  So I made sure the next twelve dollars I spent got me 50 bearings.  

Aside from the pinion and the motor mount @berman already mentioned, TA01, DF01 has shaft binding issue.  You could get a steel one, which is heavier (I don't like adding weight to rotating mass).  Or you could carve the receptacles for some room.  

The long wire bar doesn't even have 1mm room to move front and back.  Sometimes it's so tight, it bows a bit.  That's not good.  My suggestion is, before installing, look at the slots.  Watch carefully where and how the loops meet with the cups.  Widen the plastic cups a little with a knife to give the wire loops a bit more room.  If you are not sure, just get a steel shaft.  Tamiya sells motor mount + steel shaft in one set.  (Tamiya Part Number: 47373)

SHvyJ2k.jpg

HaY92t0.jpg

Manta Ray is awesome, but not really known as a looker. (though personal tastes may vary)   

Below is a paint job by @Ferruz, that looks very good to me.  lol, no pressure... I have the box art paint.  It's only a hobby, you should do what makes you feel good.  (although, sometimes I do ask my wife about what color I should paint)  

RYVb3TS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks so much for the welcome and advice - looks like I'll be hunting around for some extra parts! :)

• Haha 1