A fifteen year endeavor, finally the time and money has been appropriated to finish it.

now my crawlers will get a taste of the Great Outdoors ( still need to rebuild the back fence and the left side retaining wall).

a lot more animals (garden statues) are awaiting to be placed on, around and next to the waterfall and cave, I named it The Growl Grotto, a few more river rocks, flagstone, slate pieces, foliage and place the pump and experiment on the flow.

FlBDXTq.jpg

5NJRDqk.jpg

qQmbFkP.jpg

KRv6Pzt.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/13/2019 at 10:18 AM, Superluminal said:

Buffalo Bill.....is that you?

No, Grizzly Adams.:lol:

• Haha 1

hand rails have been in the back of my mind for many years above the retaing wall, so i used 3/4" Galv. pipe with 3/8" rebar(painted with Rustoleum brown hammer paint) bent in a hoop anchor cemented inside with water heater copper flex connectors smashed flat used as finials to accept 1 1/2" rope.

i was so excited when this fat ars Manilla rope came in, that i installed it before i put in place the Ol' ceramic cement factory burners that were supposed to be the post bases to hide the 1 1/2" and 4" metal pipes that the 3/4" are cemented into, well i could of bent the 3/8" rebar and removed the rope (which is epoxied and tied off in a whipping type knot so it can not be removed) so i did this instead....................OR4QfZw.jpg

Arizona Ice Tea Jugs

rbLd6mG.jpg

i'll color them Terra Cotta or tan/ brown and find some labels cross bones and skulls, moonshine or something old and nostalgic looking.

i'm looking for large round corks ( a copper band i can do and have already, i just hammer soft copper and bend).

• Like 3

this door i fabbed with T1-11(stained) and Stave Line (my grandfather worked at the refinery for 38 years back when it was Flying A and retired when it was Phillip 66)

he and my uncle brought back to his house six (6) miles end to end of this cupped, tongue and groove 2"x4" Red Wood (ancient) lumber, 16 make a tube, when it leaked they would tie around a metal wire band and slap creosote to stop it from leaking, this was supplying water from the Delta to the cooling towers.

this stuff has been used for planters, fences, retaining walls, siding on a cabin, a puzzle divider, wishing well, trivets, gates and a bunch a cool stuff.9OM3gQy.jpg

corner shelves are two halves adhered together of black slate with hammered soft copper bands for edges.

• Like 1

YdYcTUD.jpg

see the Beam? that area was going to be slated, one A.M. i'm looking at the beam (it had set atop of the grotto for many many years to be used as a center support when the top landing was to be cemented to shore up the OSB.

i told that beam "you are staying"😃 

FFaQczz.jpg

Cement painted black (both landings) i need a gold vein running through it though.

• Like 2

I had them the whole time hanging in the Western RoomGzLru9B.jpg

ordered two sets of these with a friend in my late teens. i see them almost everyday by the patio door, so i went to FED X Office to see about copies, asked if they had waterproof paper, they just had a new water resistant paper that came out (more like plastic film and i could not tear it). manager said i was the first one to have something printed on this type of material from his store. came home cut out the smaller four labels and coated West Systems on them to make them waterproof, colors did not run, and material didn't curl, came out better than expected. these are going on the Cement Jugs.

today i rummaged through stuff i knew i had, but it's like you knew you had when you come across them again, OL' Skeleton keys.

one in the door and a few hanging inside by the door. i was 6 when i first went to DisneyLand, and a few more times in my teens, and Growl Grotto has me feeling exactly how i felt riding through the Pirates of the Caribbean, 

• Like 2

With all that cut wood and any creosote it must smell so good:wub:

Its such a strong nostalgic smell for me.

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2019 at 3:32 PM, Superluminal said:

Any more pics of the hole grotto from thd outside?

gettn' closer, need to pressure wash rocks, stones and slate, been making picture frames for some art work i purchased, decorating knives, an ax, peace pipe and various other things that will go on the treasured slate walls of Growl Grotto even had the chance with this good weather to clear coat some critters.

started working on the other side (i'm calling it Fern Gully for now).

Thanx for the interest this has been long awaited and over do, it's funny how life comes at you and flavors change and some how i still come back to PB&J.

• Like 1

Alright, searchn' the ebay scene for a harpoon, yes they are out there (real vintage are scarce and pricey) lots of re-production SO! i made my own....................................

little trick i learned when i made my rear transom for the Kyosho 800 Majesty to beef it up for the TFL stern drive......................................................

FRP, Aluminum sheet (both sides) and Gorilla adhesive..............oLAMpcd.jpg

Closet Pole, stain, 1" x 3/4" copper bell reducer, brass screws, 1/2" MIP x 3/8" Brass Comp. fitting, solder, Speedbore bit (Paddle bit) and S.S. screw and nut

bqc8Way.jpgdYMwRDH.jpgAxgenee.jpg

sj9GR5W.jpg

1/4" Manila Rope, leather straps, leather & manila thread, and one Brass ball door pull/knob,

Testors Model Masters Burnt Iron metalizer paint.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2019 at 3:04 PM, Superluminal said:

Any more creations in the grotto??

Yes! until i can get my pressure washing done i have been creating new and restoring some old objects, making picture frames and plaques and various (to me) very cool things i have had for a very long time..................................

so ya ready? (remember this is just a few of them)........................................................................................

Picture is a Amazon order, i used some left over glass Mosiac tiles for the border (i've been wondering for some time when Gorilla Construction Adhesive in Clear would come available and they finally did it)

2A9poxl.jpg

another Amazon order, I used what i call piping trim for the frame and faux painted it with Rustoleum Hammer paint,and Testors Model Masters paint

dTVloHx.jpg

This was made with left over engineered flooring and Dental trim purchased from The Moulding Co.  (Picture from Ebay) I've been staining with Mahogany and Golden Oak applied sometimes together to get a darker effect on some other projects i have made and even use metalizer bronze and or flat black for an aged look

PssubEX.jpg

• Like 1

I'm wire wheeling this dinner bell and realized there's a small stamp on the bottom it's a Patent number, how do you patent horseshoes? HA!. i'll  google the #later and get an idea how old it is and who or whom made it

trDTeC4.jpg

flat black and copper matte hammer paint

NHxTmo0.jpg

Routered this pine piece added some wood beads and brass screw nails, Arrow head is from Clear Lake CA. i wrapped with leather thread. some Turkey feathers, beads, shells, and stones.

i Love using my hands that God gave me, now for some brains, i always could relate to the Tin Man😃

6dsQefa.jpg

I wasn't going to use Paracord but didn't have enough leather strap and these colors worked. so always curious i had to find out why? you can not purchase actual Eagle or Hawk feathers they are Turkey feathers color dyed to emulate them, it's USA law you can not even pick one of these feathers up off the ground, these feathers are for Indian tribal ceremonial purposes only. so my Faux Eagle and Hawk feathers had to be purchased from Ebay. Turkey feathers are every where around here in town. Hatchet is a Poshland purchased from The Jungle (Amazon). i also added some beads, sterling leaves, ceramic and wood beads and a stone disk to my liking.

NN1sxSR.jpg

This is called The Death Valley Bowie Knife from BDK, The Deer head is from a Christmas ornament, a copper strap is bolted to a laminate floor piece with brass screws and nuts holding the knife, hammered soft copper scrolls and brass studded tacks.

9E7amUr.jpg

• Like 3

Intermatic Waterfall (Pool)Timer circuit breaker panel with GFCI knock outs.

Well,  i just can't stop...........................

q9UxEs4.jpg

front panel painted with Rustoleum Matte Copper Hammer Paint,Brushed nickle metal deco screen, Maple scarp lumber i made outside corners with and stained and other worldly things to make it happen

iZK6fwD.jpg

• Like 3

https://americanmodelship.com/t/nautical-furniture

SO! i made my own............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Minus the Ship Wheel.

Glue, finish nails and brad nails, Minwax stain, Resin, 3/4" & 1 1/8" plywood not shown or the black slate

8i2zHSB.jpg

the pencil i had to use for the little dowels

Initial start up costs $0, being i had every thing sitting here for years and years, some rather recent left-overs, it did at one time cost something:o:lol:

Note: No USB was used, for displaying purposes only. this is what was used to build this project that is now remaining

6l70psK.jpg

R5Zfg9v.jpg

75DmgGC.jpg

• Like 3

VINTAGE WESTERN TWO HORSESHOE Forge Lexington Mass DINNER BELL US Pat 187664, i can't find the year it was made.

ebay has one for sale and the clapper is slightly different.

Love it - :lol: thats a serious bit of slate for the table top.

How does this work - do you finish one piece, stand back and think "this grotto needs more harpoon" and then go and make one. Or is there a masterplan behind it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Truthfully after the wife left and with my eldest son who was diagnosed with Crohn's disease when he was 15 and he's 34 now i have to take care of him, and it's just him and i here at home. when we all were younger i took my family everywhere possible, did the little league for nine years with three kids, well, by Cracky, (with the help and by the Grace of God) i'm doing every thing i always pondered to do with ideas and stuff i've had and recently acquired to get busy and stay focused on day by day as time and funds allow.

i have not drank four almost four years, at 56 come this Monday i have the same energy as i did when i was in my twenty's just with more pain:D

you might say this is a Journal more than anything, i'm having fun and wanted to share because the talents that are here just on RC alone are remarkable But i know we all have other great traits to share because sitting idle is not good for the body and soul. so on that note keep all your limbs within the ride of life and hang on!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Love it - :lol: thats a serious bit of slate for the table top.

How does this work - do you finish one piece, stand back and think "this grotto needs more harpoon" and then go and make one. Or is there a masterplan behind it?

some things are for the backyard in general, you are so funny for real. Just like my RC builds you just get caught up in the moment and my thoughts just keep click'n.

the master plan is that this should of been done YEARS AGO. But i do not think it would of been as Grand.

like every thing i touch some times i have to keep remaking it several times because other ideas or products pop up.

and i believe it's funner that way, sometimes a pain peddling backwards but i know i'll make it uphill and eventually get to coast down:lol:

KEETER

This bench locker is getting modified, so remember these two photo's.........................................................

34xaCJU.jpg

MV0hEbd.jpg

yes it's plastic and the seat lifts up, i'm making it sturdier and more, well you'll see.........................................................................

• Like 1

Thank you for keeping this updated! You have a real skill for building and the best bit, lots of creativity and it sounds like you have been through it at times and this looks to be quite theraputic for you. Thats what I love about forums like this, its great to see that there is some real talent hidden away that you would never normally find. I'm a bit envious too to be honest - I can assemble a kit of parts ok but beyond that when i try my hand at anything different the picture I have in my mind my hands normally always turn to Homer Simpsons spice rack. 

Looking forward to seeing more.

• Thanks 1