TurnipJF

Turnip restores a pair of Thunder Shots

On 8/14/2019 at 10:57 PM, TurnipJF said:

Thanks for the heads up. Shapeways replacements ordered. 

And here they are!

2019-08-21_08-21-19

• Like 2

Tyres have arrived for CC:

2019-08-22_01-33-50

And the custom MCI decals have arrived for MC:

2019-08-22_01-34-13

Silver, black and grey with touches of blue, to tie in with the black and gunmetal paint scheme I have planned for the shell, as well as the blue suspension arms which I have decided not to dye after all. 

• Like 4

Loving the look of those decals! Excited to see what they look like on the shell! 

• Like 1

Servos at the ready:

2019-08-28_01-12-27

I am going for a Futaba FP-S148 as I would probably have fitted back in the day. CC is getting a pair of modern Alturns as my colleague has no sentimental memories of his original servos, but wants to stick with the MSC which he does remember from his original car. 

Servos installed in chassis:

2019-08-28_01-54-14

MC has a carbon ESC plate from Fibrelyte designed by @ThunderDragonCy, ready to receive a RV12 ESC later in the build. 

• Like 1

Will the chassis cover still fit?

IMO the driver is such an integral part of the look, I wouldn't like to lose him!

1 hour ago, taffer said:

Will the chassis cover still fit?

IMO the driver is such an integral part of the look, I wouldn't like to lose him!

Should do - the overall height is less than the stock arrangement. 

That said, I have a cunning plan for the driver which should improve cooling but keep the "look". We'll see if it works later in the build. 

Steering racks are in, CC built stock,  MC with steel pivot balls:

2019-08-28_03-06-19

CC has new steering rack screws as the originals were non-standard ones that had been shortened poorly, damaging the threads.

Both cars have new tubs as the originals were cracked and missing pieces. 

• Like 1

Rear gearboxes are built, CC stock apart from rubber sealed bearings, MC fitted with thrust bearings in place of the washers, metal shielded bearings in the enclosed positions and rubber sealed bearings on the diffs and propshaft coupling where they see the outside world.

2019-08-28_05-03-20

Both have B8 flipped to give rear toe. 

• Like 1

On go the suspension arms and hubs.

CC follows the stock arrangement. The gearbox plastics are cracked at the hinge pins as expected on an old car, but my colleague says his original one ran for ages with cracks in the same places without anything falling off, so they are not being replaced for now.

2019-08-28_10-20-46

MC features anti-crush tubes on the hinge pins, which should in theory help prevent the two inner branches of the arms compressing and sliding towards each other along the hinge pins, forming the areas of white stressed plastic commonly seen on used arms. 

2019-08-28_10-20-35

I am not a fan of cracked gearbox plastics, so I inserted the hinge pins using the heated screw method to help prevent cracking.

I  also fitted a steel brace to protect A5:

2019-08-28_10-21-15

With the arms and hubs on, I thought I might attach the gearboxes to the chassis, adding the propshafts and bumpers.  

2019-08-28_10-22-02

CC follows the stock arrangement as usual:

2019-08-28_10-21-30

MC features a heavy duty sintered steel propshaft from Shapeways:

2019-08-28_10-21-39

• Like 2

Time for some shocks, three stock yellow ones on top hat mounts for CC:

2019-08-29_01-22-01

2019-08-29_01-22-16

Four modern black CVA shocks on ball mounts for MC:

2019-08-29_01-22-42

2019-08-29_01-23-09

Please excuse the mismatched screws. Matching ones are on their way from Tony.

Both cars will be using TBG shells, hence the 3D-printed extended front body mounts. 

• Like 1

I know its personal preference but no shock spacers front or rear I have found to be the best setup, some nice movement then while accelerating!

By combining bits that came from CC and the carcass that has become MC, I managed to recreate an original spec anti-roll bar for CC, featuring brass balls secured with small pieces of rubber tube:

2019-08-29_01-54-56

MC's one was fitted with steel balls secured with grub screws.

2019-08-29_01-55-16

17 minutes ago, taffer said:

I know its personal preference but no shock spacers front or rear I have found to be the best setup, some nice movement then while accelerating!

I'll give that a try. It still seems pretty supple with the spacers though...

With wheels and tyres fitted, they are starting to look like buggies!

2019-08-29_01-23-46

One of CC's wheels sits skew due to having partially melted around the centre - I suspect that a bearing seized and overheated at some point in the car's past. A replacement is on order.

• Like 2

If yours is going to be a runner you are going to need waaaaay stiffer front springs on those black shocks. If you have some spare touring car springs i would start with those.

I ran the inboard mount twin shock ladt summer when i broke a wider shock tower so i have run it recently. 

I have the front springs supplied eith the original twin shock conversion and they are stiffer than anything else buggy i have. Closest is the hard silver DF03 set from the 53927 set. 

5 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

If yours is going to be a runner you are going to need waaaaay stiffer front springs on those black shocks. If you have some spare touring car springs i would start with those.

I ran the inboard mount twin shock ladt summer when i broke a wider shock tower so i have run it recently. 

I have the front springs supplied eith the original twin shock conversion and they are stiffer than anything else buggy i have. Closest is the hard silver DF03 set from the 53927 set. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a good stock of different springs to experiment with, including a variety of touring car springs. I'll give them a go. 

• Like 1

The replacement wheel for CC is due to arrive tomorrow, and the matching screws for MC's shock mounting arrived today, so while there is no work to report this evening, there should be another worthwhile update tomorrow.

Receivers are in!

Carson for CC:

2019-08-31_02-01-11

Spektrum for MC:

2019-08-31_02-00-54

MC now also features matching shock screws.

• Like 1

I thought I might take MC for a short test run just to make sure everything works.

It is not a quiet drivetrain by any means - by sound alone you can tell that it has more in common with the Hotshot than the TT-02B for example. I guess it will quiet down a bit once everything is bedded in.

Happy that everything was working, I drove it a bit more and then checked the motor temperature.

2019-08-31_03-38-59

It doesn't seem to be over geared by any stretch, even though I am running a 17 tooth pinion and tyres that are larger than standard.

• Like 1