mad maz

Lipo advice

Hi so it's  been quite a while and I want to move over and buy a lipo set up, battery and charger and all the necessary parts I need including motor and ESC.

Not looking for extreme power  just around 15-17t .

I have gone through a few threads but it's a mind field . So links for what I need would be much appreciated.

I want this set up for my blitzer beetle . All my models are tamiya.

A good balance charger is essential to look after your batteries, and I'd recommend a lipo charging bag if only for the additional peace of mind. 

Others will have better suggestions, but I've had good results with the Turnigy 2S lipo packs, around 3000mah will give you fun for quite a while. Hobbyking has those. Spend a quid or two on a battery monitor that plugs into your balance charging wires and it will prevent you running the battery too low by operating a beeper once the voltage is low. They are cheap on ebay. The charger I have is Turnigy Accucel-6 80W 10A Balancer/Charger LiHV Capable on hobbyking. I recommend it, its been good for me. Be aware though it is fed from 12v so you will need a 12V supply to run it. I run mine in my shed connected to a car battery and a solar panel, but a conventional 12v supply is fine.

When it comes to battery connectors the Tamiya standard ones are a bit rubbish, but you need to have a matching connector on your speed controller to your battery. Bear this in mind when you buy the battery. I think the main types are Deans, XT60 and Tamiya. I use XT60 as they just seem the most positive to me. Again, others opinions will no doubt vary; I'm a novice too. If you do make a mistake and get the wrong connector (or can't find the one you need) you can either get an adaptor, or even better solder in a new one.

Motor and ESC: again with hobbyking they do a power package. Look on hobbyking for "Turnigy TrackStar Waterproof 1/10 Brushless Power System 3000KV/80A"

Thats a nice little combo (in my opinion) for a 540 motor. If you want something a little quicker go for one with a slightly higher KV rating. My son has it on his DT02 and it has been reliable and easy to use. You will need to get a connector to solder on to it though (again, XT60 is my preference).

Hopefully that gets you started, and maybe starts a little debate! Some people like Hobbyking, some don't, I have had no problems personally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So you're looking for a whole new power system?

Charger is the most important thing really as you will have a good charger for years and it will also prolong the life of your batteries. I like the SkyRC range. I have the S60 and its great, but if I was buying again (I also have another charger) i would buy the Q200 or D100 from SkyRC. I like them since they plug into the wall and while one of my chargers can run of my chargers off a 12v batttery with alligator clips i never have. Also think about the cables, i like the ones that have the balance plug built in as its just easier.

Batteries. 2s is the standard for 10th scale cars and is about 15% faster than a 7.2v NiMH. It really is. You can run 3s as well on most ESC and motor combos which is much faster. Basically, more volts = more rpm. The C rating is the discharge rate, basically how much power they can deliver. Take it with a grain (shovel) of salt, but higher C rating is better. All my lipos are race packs with 100C plus rates but 50C would be fine. I buy packs every couple of years so buy the best I can, knowing that I'll spread that cost over a lot of race meets. NiMH have a discharge of around 15C, so any lipo will be better. I have experienced a battery not supplying the power required and the car just didn't get faster whatever i did. I had a brushless programmable combo in a car and no matter what i did with NiMH it just didn't change. I put a lipo in and it was mental, literally doubled the speed.

ESC and motors. Switch to brushless, its way easier. A Trackstar combo can be had for USD70 which is plenty fast, or you can spend heaps. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-roar-approved-1-10th-stock-class-brushless-esc-and-motor-combo-13-5t.html?___store=en_us

This combo is great in a TT02B or Boomerang so I assume would work well in the Blitzer Beetle too. Buy the program card to go with it, programming really brings it to life.

Get a sensored motor and ESC, its smoother and better and you can program the ESC. There are heaps around. I run the combo I linked above (they actually just died after 3 years of racing), Speed Passion combos and also others like Orca and SkyRC. The SkyRC Toro TS120 is probably the best bang for buck ESC around as it runs low turn motors and 3s lipo.

http://www.rcmart.com/toro-ts120a-brushless-sensored-black-p-67556.html?cPath=1560_1021

If you want equivalent to 15T - 17T brushless you are probably looking at 8.5T brushless. I dont know the FDR that you can achieve with the Blitzer but it will probably work with an 8.5T motor as Tamiya's tend to have pretty low gearing

If you have a TBLE-02S then grab a fan and 10.5T brushless sensored motor and run that.  You can get a low voltage alarm for a lipo and you're away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your advice and yes I'm looking for a hole new power system.

The Antix 7.6v lihv 5200mah packs are great packs. Good quality, good power, and they are true stick packs in shape. They fit properly in all models made for classic stick packs.

This is a great cheap charger that will charge everything - including the new lihv packs.

https://www.skyrc.com/iMAX_B6AC_V2_Charger

Where are you located?

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 12:10 PM, mad maz said:

I have gone through a few threads but it's a mind field . So links for what I need would be much appreciated.

Setting up from scratch is unfortunately not cheap, 

Looking like you're in the UK, I'd recommend Modelsport or Fusion, they support this forum and if I've had issues with parts I've bought , it's been resolved flawlessly.

Charger , I'd say a 12/240v, charge off the car if you're out, plenty to choose:- 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9920&SubCategoryID=992030&MSAttributeID[34]=618&MSAttributeID[35]=886

Lipo wise, I go with the core rc, yes they're cheaper out there, but they fit were a 7.2v nicad does, so (should!) be hassle free fitment.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-4000mahr-7-4v-30-60c-2s-lipo/rc-car-products/388538

As for the brushless esc and motor (combo), for cost, the Goolrc are hard to beat, £30 for a 4300kv combo (with the cheaper motors, I tend to go for a faster motor, as they are slower than the better motors, if that makes sense) 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123227565781

but as with cheap eBay stuff, you get what you pay for, and I don't think quality control is a high priority, I've not had any issues, but some people have, so 🤷‍♂️

If you've got a better budget, and/or plan on going quicker later, want more tuning options (punch control, brake strength, Lipo cut off voltage etc etc) or motor options, Hobbywings 10bl120 is great value, can run sensored or sensorless, 2s/3s and run down to a 3.5t motor (on 2s, 8.5t on 3s)! For under £40.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-10bl120-sensored/rc-car-products/425021

Motors, this is where it gets interesting, if you go for the 10bl120, pretty much any 540 size motor.

Sensorless are cheaper, can be stuttery and the max rpm is set in stone (the KV - rpm per volt).

Sensored are more expensive but are a better motor, and with having a position sensor, you can add timing via the esc (if capable) and so increase the RPM (why they use, turns, not KV).

Don't have a Blitzer Beetle, but somewhere between a good 13.5t and a cheaper 8.5t would be in the ball park. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DK308 said:

The Antix 7.6v lihv 5200mah packs are great packs. Good quality, good power, and they are true stick packs in shape. They fit properly in all models made for classic stick packs.

This is a great cheap charger that will charge everything - including the new lihv packs.

https://www.skyrc.com/iMAX_B6AC_V2_Charger

Where are you located?

I'm located in Solihull in the  Midlands.

Very interesting information and thank you all for your time. I don't really have a budget but though it mite be around £150 for battery , charger ,esp , motor , safety battery  bag.

Most  likely buy from model sport as I have brought from them in the past. I have brought a few kits from tamico and had not one problem with them. Very fast delivery.

• Like 1

I have a Venom pro2 charger and it works good. Do you have any idea what size lipo battery you want? Whats your ultimate goal? Speed? Long runtime? 

1 hour ago, fullspectrum said:

I have a Venom pro2 charger and it works good. Do you have any idea what size lipo battery you want? Whats your ultimate goal? Speed? Long runtime? 

Hi I'm looking for longer run times really all my cars are tamiya so battery needs too fit in that same style 7.2v nimah So I believe I need a 2s lipo battery.

Not forgetting a little more speed .

• Like 1

Forget about the tamiya battery size, just get the biggest 3s lipo you can and strap it on the roof!!.. Best speed increase per pound available. 

:) :) :)

• Haha 1

Not quite as bonkers as @wolfdogstinkus, but lively enough is a Gens Ace 2s 5000mah 50c hardcase Lipo, 13.5t 3050Kv brushless, and Hobbywing ESC, gives speeds of 50KPH. I have however drilled the motor mount holes to fit a 14 tooth (I'd say the stock 13t would be fine to) pinion in my Blitzer as it owes me nothing so didn't matter if if all went pear shaped.

I've just had about an hour of fun at the beach on one charge, half in an SRB and half in the Blitzer. Its much better than the previous Sport tuned, NiMH it was fitted with.

You just need to cut a little bit off the ribs in the bottom of the battery tray, squaring them out to fit the Lipo in.

25tScIMl.jpg

n5ZS10ql.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I got a goolRC combo for £25 (eBay)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202679424093

2 x 3s Floureon 2200mah LiPo (Amazon) £25

(none available at moment)

all sits in the TR-02b nicely 

TLJKzec.jpg

the goolRC setup comes with a deans connector so I bought a deans to tamiya adaptor and a deans to XT60 adaptor (for the lipos)

you also need a charger then for your LiPo - many don’t come with a power supply so make sure you find one that does.

the TT-02b is now mega fast and rips the tyres off all the time :)

hhKT536.jpg

JJ

• Like 1

Looks like a lot of fun. Have you thought about gluing the tyres on? I use super glue but you can use a silicon sealant which is easy to peel off when you need to replace the tyres