fullspectrum

Re re stock dwindling?

Hey guys. I was looking for a Wild one and a Willy 2 but it seems everyone is out of stock. I wonder if these are discontinued? Also pretty depressing on the new re releases as of late. Seems Tamiya has slowed down big time on new stuff.  

Seems they are only making batches as needed these days. Looks like the Top Force, and Manta Ray are discontinued again. Probably will be more to go by the wayside soon. As for the Wild Willy, and Wild One, seems they are still available, just out of stock. Did you try Tamico, Rcmart, Stellamodels?

3 hours ago, fullspectrum said:

Hey guys. I was looking for a Wild one and a Willy 2 but it seems everyone is out of stock.

I also have a Wild One on the wish list, and I was talking to a Hobby shop owner in Brisbane a few months ago while admiring his WO on display who informs me that they should be available again sometime in September.

Not sure where you are but RC Mart still have a couple of Wild Willy 2’s in stock last time I checked. 

7 hours ago, Hobbimaster said:

Seems they are only making batches as needed these days. Looks like the Top Force, and Manta Ray are discontinued again. Probably will be more to go by the wayside soon. As for the Wild Willy, and Wild One, seems they are still available, just out of stock. Did you try Tamico, Rcmart, Stellamodels?

I looked on RC Mart for a Wild One but not the Wild Willy. I will check those other sites as well...thanks for the tips.

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I also have a Wild One on the wish list, and I was talking to a Hobby shop owner in Brisbane a few months ago while admiring his WO on display who informs me that they should be available again sometime in September.

Not sure where you are but RC Mart still have a couple of Wild Willy 2’s in stock last time I checked. 

Cool...for some reason I kept the Wild One on the back burner. I always liked it even back in the 80's but I missed buying it the first time around. My progression was grasshopper, Frog, Hotshot, Falcon...then traxxas....lol.  

Maybe have a wander through the forum for some thoughts on Tamiya strategy over the years ?

They hardly ever over-produce to meet end demand these days - it’s a gamble that’s been lost too often ... and even for a decent kit can take 3 - 5 years for a run to completely sell out - which at best humbles cashflow

For a dog that ends up grossly under selling, a full batch would make it impossible for Tamiya to recover quickly - or in some cases at all 

It’s no coincidence that most boring / same chassis designs (or re re) followed an expensive punt ?

Tamiya also seem to discontinue new kits / designs more quickly these days - with fewer hop ups in the meantime - which likely helps reduce costs and create more collectable ‘bubbles’ they can plunder with re re down the line 

For me, that forces modern collectors into a wide / low spread bet that lacks any appeal 

Anyway, if enough distributors place pre-orders, Tamiya will run a fresh batch answering all ‘on order with supplier’ demand on seller websites - which I suspect is fine re the WW2 / not sure about the W1 ?

• Like 1

I do think tamiya of late don't flood the market with re-released rc's especially the high end price models avante, egress etc just a hunch because they often disappear the avante is starting to get thin on the ground again (unless you want the black special it's re-advertised for sept/Nov release) buggy champ was the same as was the top force!

• Like 1

Tamiya is probably following the same practice as most manufacturers.  They batch run a certain product, and then measure the market response. The Avante and Egress was one of the most talked about and collected car before the Rere, the excitement for both when released was very high and stayed on the market for a while, the Avante was available to buy for like 4 years for example. I would love for the Dynastorm to get another run but this one with improved materials like the Avante, but with the Super Astute out I highly doubt that'll happen any time soon! I'm still praying the Kingcab or Monster racer come out, I cant believe that Tamiya would spend time redeveloping the TTC and not spread load the development cost .

Edited by GTodd
  • Like 1