Juggular

MONSTER BEETLE TRAIL (GF-01TR CHASSIS)

Is this the #2 that's using portal gears?  

Tires seem wider than regular Monster Beetle tires.  Or do they just look wider?  

Wild Willy/LB size spike tires, were a hopup for the QD monster trucks and the GF01 dumptruck has them installed.

Nice soft and gripping

12 hours ago, waterbok said:

Wild Willy/LB size spike tires, were a hopup for the QD monster trucks and the GF01 dumptruck has them installed.

Nice soft and gripping

It's a Dump Truck with portal axles and a different body, and it even has the yellow dump truck wheels. So they would definitely be the dump truck tires.

An easy way to distinguish between the Monster Beetle tires and QD/WR-02 monster spike tires when the size isn't easy to judge, is looking at the spikes. On the Monster Beetle tires, the spikes are on the chevrons, whereas they are between the chevrons on the QD/WR-02 tires.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

On the Monster Beetle tires, the spikes are on the chevrons, whereas they are between the chevrons on the QD/WR-02 tires.

Good point. I always liked that aspect of the QD/WR-02 tires as the spikes last longer. It doesn't take too many excursions onto the asphalt to start wiping out the spikes on Monster Beetle tires. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

I don't understand this. 

You will in due time and more, now you can start worrying 😉😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

I don't understand this. 

The difference in the tire treads? The Monster Beetle's spike sit on top of the tread bars. If you drive on paved surfaces too much, they quickly wear flat. The Heavy Dump tires have spikes in the "low" part of the tread pattern, between the tread bars. While they do protrude somewhat, the tread bars protect them from being wiped completely flat if you run on multiple surfaces including paved ones. Or there's a joke somewhere in all this and I'm missing it because I'm too literal :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

The difference in the tire treads? The Monster Beetle's spike sit on top of the tread bars. If you drive on paved surfaces too much, they quickly wear flat. The Heavy Dump tires have spikes in the "low" part of the tread pattern, between the tread bars. While they do protrude somewhat, the tread bars protect them from being wiped completely flat if you run on multiple surfaces including paved ones. Or there's a joke somewhere in all this and I'm missing it because I'm too literal :lol:

I don't understand why Tamiya insists on producing this type of thing I guess.  It's lost on me.  Same with the comical releases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I understand now. Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I'm not big on the comical releases myself (I'd rather see new, fresh buggy designs over an essentially rehashed WW2 with an awkward buggy body, but that's just me). This thing, I'm completely clueless about. It has portal axles (for one would assume crawling-type activities) on a wheelie vehicle (somewhat unstable for crawling) with an old QD Monster Beetle body. Maybe they threw darts at a board to pick the parts they'd mix and match for this endeavor?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree, I don't get the comical etc. I'd much rather a good re re program to include a ranger xlt. A sand/street rover and several others!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I agree, I don't get the comical etc. I'd much rather a good re re program to include a ranger xlt. A sand/street rover and several others!

Don't forget, there is still a CC02 in the pipeline, M developments 07-08 and still a few re res every year. The company is healthy at least. It isn't a question of if it will come (See Ultima status prior to news) but when.

Question for those that have been here for awhile, was there a time when Re-re's weren't even a thing?

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 3:59 AM, geniusanthony said:

Question for those that have been here for awhile, was there a time when Re-re's weren't even a thing?

I think it was before 2005? 

From the start (1976), Tamiya always had the "sister ship" concept.  Grasshopper & Hornet, Lunchbox & Midnight Pumpkin, Rough Rider & Sand Scorcher & Super Champ, Brat & Frog & Blackfoot & Mud Blaster, etc...

Since they came in a pair (usually a year apart), re-release (or remake) wasn't too far fetched.  

Would building this without the portal axles be better in the sense it would outclass the re-re Monster Beetle?  That is, the gearbox won't spread and click, the dogbones won't fall out of the joint cups, it has 4WD, and yet it could still pull a wheelie?

Can't say I'm interested in it either way, but undoing the "TR" aspect of it might make it more fun.

While the basic GF01 isn't quite as stable as the original Monster Beetle, you raise a very interesting point. I love the MB and all, but its riddled with flaws. The GF01 is practically trouble-free as far as I know. Perhaps folks should buy the kit and recoup some investment by selling of the portals?

To play devils's advocate, I did see a GF01 made into a trail truck/mild crawler once. There's a video of one with smaller tires (lower COG) and a Jimny body (lighter lexan, less top heavy than the OQ MB body) crawling on some large rocks that looked pretty cool.