Sign in to follow this  
Escher

Original Avante with some 2011 parts - just purchased..

So - My hobby budget just won't allow for a $600 re-re... been watching and waiting for years as the Avante has been something I've lusted after since they came out.. I finally found one on ebay - an original from '88 rebuilt with 2011 parts where needed.  I managed to snag it for a good price - it will be here next week.

Some pics from the ebay ad to tantalize while I wait...

48562327091_e029ff2b49_z.jpg

48562327156_6edbe4e40c_z.jpg

48562327411_1f0496180a_z.jpg

48562327456_e73ee390e2_z.jpg

A couple of questions:

1) I am in no way a purist and plan to hop this baby up - putting as many stronger parts and updates in as possible.  Full aluminum uprights and the like.  What (if any) 2011 updates should I make sure to do?  For example - diffs, etc - are they stronger?  I've seen the lists of updated parts, but I'm wondering - from practical experience - which are actually better to run?

2) The only thing I *AM* a purist about - is the original decal set.  I really want to make up a body that is exactly like the original with "Spacetech Engineering" and the other original sponsor names.  Anyone making replicas?  

As an aside - I also ordered the original 1988 Tamiya Radio Control Guide book with the full page layouts of the Avante... be still my 15 year old heart!!  I had this years ago and spent hours drooling over the Avante pics...  Already planning an entire display for this and my Frog Re-re...

Thanks in advance guys...

• Like 3

The weak areas on the ORIGINAL Avante series of cars were the: front uprights (were grey, now gold), the trailing arms, front hubs, and the rods for the beautiful rod ends. Replace those parts with the 2011 ones and you will be bulletproof. The original Avante gearbox was pretty robust. I'd just tighten the center differential as much as you can and ensure to use blue loctite. The gear diffs are good, is just as some Tamiya AW greece in order to slow them down .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mtbkym01 said:

MCI Racing for the decals

Thanks - Just ordered 2 sets...

3 minutes ago, GTodd said:

The weak areas on the ORIGINAL Avante series of cars were the: front uprights (were grey, now gold), the trailing arms, front hubs, and the rods for the beautiful rod ends. Replace those parts with the 2011 ones and you will be bulletproof. The original Avante gearbox was pretty robust. I'd just tighten the center differential as much as you can and ensure to use blue loctite. The gear diffs are good, is just as some Tamiya AW greece in order to slow them down .

Sweet - I'll plan along these lines!

MCI racing all the time for aftermarket decals! Not tamiya quality but definitely the next best thing!

20180428_102649.jpg

• Like 2

Finally got everything installed and ready to run...

30 seconds after this pic - the rear a-arm broke - didn't even jump it or anything - I think it got stuck in some long grass or something...  Swapped it out and will give it another go tomorrow.

48656472607_a256db1c85_c.jpg

Also now I'm looking at Egress rear arms... these are just silly fragile...

On 8/31/2019 at 6:03 PM, Escher said:

Finally got everything installed and ready to run...

30 seconds after this pic - the rear a-arm broke - didn't even jump it or anything - I think it got stuck in some long grass or something...  Swapped it out and will give it another go tomorrow.

48656472607_a256db1c85_c.jpg

Also now I'm looking at Egress rear arms... these are just silly fragile...

The rere rear arms are super strong, I had a Black Special Avante with a crazy Novak Brushless and it took everything I threw at it. Tripples imcluded!