Sign in to follow this  
deannos

1980's Hornet

I want to go modern with the radio gear. I would like a transmitter with the steering wheel and to do away with the battery pack for the receiver, is this possible.

Thanks

Yes. 

It's called BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit).  It became so common from early 90's.  It's almost impossible to find radios that require a separate receiver battery since then.  

For Hornet, I recommend cheap and reliable Flysky GT3C.  You can get a set for about $45.  Relatively simple and easy to use.  But it has trim, servo reverse, end point adjustment, etc, more stuff than bashers need.  If you happened to buy something else, like Lunchbox, just buy one more receiver for $7.  1 transmitter can control up to 10.  1 at a time though.    

Next, Radiolink RC6GS.  $65 or so.  It's similar to Flysky GT3C, but has more functions, and the receiver has a gyro.  Say, 30 degrees on the wheel translates to 30 degrees of servo.  You turned 30 degrees.  But because the ground is sandy, servo's 30 degree didn't turn the vehicle as much.  The gyro would make the servo turn more on its own.  Or if the ground is too grippy and the vehicle made enough of a turn with less of servo movement, it stops there.  The $65 set comes with one receiver. If you want more, you'd have to pay about $17 for an extra one.  This one also has 10 model memory.  

Futaba radios like 3PV is about $120.  Fuction-wise, it's weaker than 6 channel Radiolink 6GS with gyro.  What you get from Futaba is faster response time.  About 8 millisecond, I think?  Radiolink RC6GS is about 12ms.  1 millisecond is 1/1000th of a second.  So that's 4/1000 of a second difference.  I'm told that racers can tell the difference.  But with an 80's Hornet with sloppy linkages?  I probably could not, so most of my bashers are controlled by Flysky GT3B (GT3C is better since it uses only 4AA batteries, instead of 8). 

• Like 1