Sign in to follow this  
dirtburglar

Suggested replacement for king cab tranny?

i bought a nitro MT2 replacement body shell, for the race-truck look (£20 in fact).. had to raise the current mounts a little but that was esily done just by removing the originals for the time being and screwing in adjustable replacements..

suffice to say from today that it's running great, really tears up the rough stuff (enough that it wan't too far behind my mates nitro MT2 18SS over the trickier terrain, although got spanked on the flat of course), and the tranny now clearly has a fair bit more to give so gonna look into the ball race steering set and an upgraded ESC/motor this week sometime.. alloy shocks don't have the issue with leaking the oil all over, takes jumps pretty nicely (although i have returned with suitable battle scars of course, some of the BMX jumps are perhaps a little too high for a car with a big weight balance problem!)

be intrested to hear people's opinion on pinoin gear choices and perhaps even a recommended motor.. running the standard 20T pinion that comes with the TTC tranny and i doubt i can fit much more in there.. would i get a reasonable boost from motor alone or will i need to customise the pinion/spur next?

agreed that they are great fun though, take a suprising amount of punishment before they give in, and the extra ground clearance is wonderful :)

The ball raced steering set is an easy one you just need Egress / Avante 2001 L Parts, there are a few on ebay at the moment. Motor and pinion choice is a different kettle of fish probably better answered by others on the forum, i find my 14 turn kyosho motor great but to get the gearing right i brought a load of different pinions and a couple of spur gears and just changed them about until i got a combo that worked. I also found adding a V2 end bell to my motor made a nice improvement to performance.

At the end of the day there is a massive choice of motors and ESC's out there and as always the more you spend the better the kit is going to be. The way forward for more speed/power is a new motor but the gearing is just as important as you new motor will not last long if over geared you will also have poor acceleration. My opinion on ESC's is to get the best you can afford I use a no limit LRP ESC.

Stewart

The ball raced steering set is an easy one you just need Egress / Avante 2001 L Parts, there are a few on ebay at the moment.

so does this mean there's no real benefit to the full avante ballrace steering set? or would it be better just getting the L parts?

All you need is the L parts and 8 850 bearings, this is how i did mine the other parts parts used were standard monster racer parts. this works out load's cheaper then getting the set.

Edit just checked the manuals and you need a bushing bag too as the bushings are 2mm longer. The egress bushing bag is the cheapest i could see that had the parts in, The strange thing is i don't remember getting one myself but a quick look and i can see the one's on my runner are not the same as the ones on my shelfer.

Aye, only reason it's not already done is i'm cringing at the price of getting the full set..

sweet advice, thanks again :D

Sorry mate see edit above the bag is about £8-9 still allot cheaper :D

Finally got it all sorted and pictured and so on, so here goes...

Ratstylez KC

fairly pleased given i knew squat when i started other than what model it was.. already moves about nicely, although looking forward to my motor/esc upgrade over the next few days..

any thoughts on whether brushless is actually worth a look, only bit i'm not really getting now (other than Whats that all about then? i'm gonna do about pinion/spur gear choices.. might even get some cnc machined ones so i can really push things.. kinda prefer a project car to something new and easy to do!)