Sign in to follow this  
SuperChamp82

TRF Tools vs MIP / Hudy

I recently hijacked a separate thread by @Jonathon Gillham - who kindly overlooked it 😂 - then wondered if this topic was worth wider views ?

I’ve loved my old Tamiya 74085 tool set but its now on its last legs after 4 years hard labour ...

The small driver handles have worn  from repeated pushing in / out of the larger grip and the tip blades are dulling to the point they risk threading the heads of smaller screws / bolts

My question is whether its worth investing in a full TRF tool set now that (a) I’m confident they’ll get the mileage and (b) I tend to dabble in older kits where metal integrity can be dwindling or head / thread erosion makes a true set critical in avoiding damage 

Or are others - like MIP or Hudy - genuinely better for the money ? 

Conversely, maybe just replacing the 74085 set is actually the smart call ?

Sourcing a full set of TRF kit with a an OEM work stand is going to set me back c. $175 including postage - which is fine if they’re worth it ... but not so much if not 😂

All views much appreciated

• Like 1

If the 74085 tool set did a good job for you, I would just get another set.  I'm using the same tool set but have some other specialty tools that I've picked up along the way (like some Integy turnbuckle wrenches, Dynamite hex drivers, and various other tools).  While the MIP tools are great, those seem overkill for the price and use for me.  I'm not racing nor competing so I don't need top of the line tools (and have never broken a tool on my R/C's).  Not every tool in my garage for me cars is a SnapOn tool.  ;)

• Like 3

My Mugen Seiki toolset leaves Hudy for dead in quality. The only issue I have with them is there are no caps on the handles, other than that they are flawless. Japanese tools so if the TRF tools are of the same quality I’d say they are worth it

48587936377_dcd6fe5d24.jpg

• Like 1

What is included in the TRF kit?  That appears to be excellent value for money if it is a comprehensive kit and good quality.

I don't know anyone who uses MIP, but a lot of people I race with use Hudy and some of the sets look old but are still going strong.  In hindsight a complete Hudy set would've been a smart move as I'll probably end up spending about that amount anyway on my Arrowmax tools, but I buy as I need them.

A big thing for me is the replaceable tips - can you replace the tips on the TRF set?  I don't think you can on MIP, but you can on Hudy.  If you can replace the tips then get the TRF set and if you wear any out quickly then replace those tips with Hudy.

Do you have a link to the set?  I've never seen a complete TRF tool set so would like to have a look

• Like 1

MIP makes great tools. I believe you can even see them in the background of the Punky Brewster show in that Rc episode from 1986. So MIP has been around a long time. The one problem with them is there is no JIS or Phillips offered. 

• Like 1

MIP are one piece, unless you buy the driver tips for an electric screwdriver as you mentioned in the other thread.

MIP refurbish them if you send them back, but I've had mine a while and they show no signs of wear. The best thing is the tolerances are that accurate even junky Chinese or stripped hex screws are easy to get out.

The handles are like the old yellow hard boiled screwdrivers your dad had in his toolbox though, still great though.

Never used TRF, and it's been so long since I handled a Hudy set.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2019 at 4:29 PM, Mahjik said:

If the 74085 tool set did a good job for you, I would just get another set.  I'm using the same tool set but have some other specialty tools that I've picked up along the way (like some Integy turnbuckle wrenches, Dynamite hex drivers, and various other tools).  While the MIP tools are great, those seem overkill for the price and use for me.  I'm not racing nor competing so I don't need top of the line tools (and have never broken a tool on my R/C's).  Not every tool in my garage for me cars is a SnapOn tool.  ;)

I'm kind of in the same boat as you with a mixture of tools from Makita, DeWalt, Harbor Freight, some Dynamite, and some Turnigy/Hobbyking along with a few of the better kit tools.  I haven't found the Dyamite/Turnigy stuff to be bad at all; it's been several years since they were purchased.  But, I'm not racing every weekend so for casual hobby use the budget tools work fine for me.

• Like 2

The original kit was a limited edition in blue or red @Jonathon Gillham - pics below.

Ive not seen one in a long time and the last complete set up for sale went for a silly amount - c. $250 around 8 years ago. 

My $175 would get me a collection of the replacement individual  drivers / wrenches from the set - maybe with the newly released TRF stand. 

Still not sure which way to go 🙄

AC9895C8-6920-406A-B134-D95A3AB3EACA.jpeg

ECAA9B16-8D67-48BD-A918-314B05E0BDA2.jpeg

32045157-46B1-4932-8B45-9DDFF330144E.jpeg

5AA7BCCD-5D76-48FF-BDBC-669A2D7CD5B6.jpeg

8C2A301F-CE39-4BB9-A906-70A3B762C4EF.jpeg

B5AD4050-78D0-4391-9E64-7926C5B6085A.jpeg

• Like 2

Nothing seems to beat the feel of Hudy sping steel and there taper design. All other tools are hard to gauge tightness.

Profi-Tool line with the plastic handles and changeable tips are just about perfect. I lightly scuffed the ones I use for shock building as silicone on plastic handles don't mix well. Too many of the hand tools are too short and too heavy as they try and make them look cool and forget about day to day use. I'd be hard pressed to find any superior 

https://www.hudy.net/xhudy/news/newsdesc.php?news_id=185&kategoria=185&Hudy_Session=42b88b15ffb1c9f6be5a277efb9ce3fc

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 6:42 PM, Biz73 said:

MIP has their reputation for a reason.

Decent...but I found the handle design outdated and not comfortable for a full kit build. Plus the shafts are bit too short for some jobs and hard to gauge how much torque your placing on the fastener as you steel they use has almost no give. 

A lot sheepish purchases are made these days....crossovers also have a good reputation, but most people don;t need them and for a daily driver most are incredibly boring to drive.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Neither. Buy Wiha or Wera drivers and never look back ;).The only downside is plastic/rubber handles which may not be as good as knurled aluminium when working with oily hands.

• Like 1

I recently bought this set. Not TRF set but I like it very much compared to the crappy generic ones I bought online. This set is made in Japan as indicated and seems really nice. I like the extra handle which can be used vertically or horizontally. 

tYon0xLh.jpg

If you are starting out and want to learn from others trial and error, industrial tools manufacturers like WIha/Wera are probably best bang for the bucks. 

If you want to stick with a known hobby brand, MIP is what I would go with (if you don't mind the looks). IMO MIP performs better than my Hudy/TRF tools. I kept the Hudy/TRF tools around to lend out and  mainly use my MIP tools instead. 

• Like 1

I use MIP for hexes and nut drivers and Vessel (Amazon) for JIS.  No complaints.

• Like 1