jeekelemental

TA-01 Universals - Quick Question

Well, I don't know if anyone has already asked for and I'm sorry in advance if I'm repeating it: are Yeah Racing TA-01 universals a good quality alternative to Tamiya ones or are they only a cheap alternative?

I run plenty of Yeah racing universals (both the type with the spring clip and the type with the grub screw) in my cars and they are as good as the Tamiya ones imo. Just make sure you thread lock any grub screws well when you get them, otherwise the pin comes loose and they can be damaged.

• Like 1

I use quite a few of the yeah racing universals/CVD's.

They have been very good for me, although they are not as good as tamiya CVD's IMO. 

Given yeah racing are 1/2-1/4 the price though... 

• Like 1

And in what they are different? Smoothness? Strength?
I'm going to build a powertrain that can manage a 14x2 brushed or less.

In the good old days a was used to ran a Kyosho Mega 16x2 without much modifies (dogbones and plastic motor mount) but I plan to build a durable basher.

The Tamiya units are much tougher, but a 14x2 brushed shouldn’t be a issue for yeah racing units at all. 

If you where putting a sensorless shortcourse 5660 system in I’d say the yeah racing won’t last. But what your talking about. No probs for the yeah racing units.

• Like 1

I can't imagine the kind of abuse you'd have to throw at a YR shaft in a TA01 for it to break. Small 1/10 wheels loose traction way before enough torque is generated from the motor to bother the shafts. I had them in the rear of a TT02 basher on 7.5t (5100kv) brushless, 3S lipo, often full of dirt and sand and they are still in perfect condition. If the car was involved in a big crash that jolted the front and rear wheels in opposite directions it might be possible to break a shaft.

I have a set of Tamiya shafts and they are basically identical in quality and smoothness (to my untrained eyes) as the YR shafts. The Tamiya parts offer less angle before the shaft hits the edge of the cup - not sure if you'd consider that a good or bad thing, although both brands of shafts start to chatter significantly if you push them past say 20degrees or so, they are after all universal shafts. I run double-cardan shafts in the front of my on-road cars because they are a true CVD and don't chatter when operating at an angle.

• Like 1