Sign in to follow this  
MiltonFarb

Super Hot Shot Build Problems

Hi All,

I've recently bought a Super HotShot so my son and I can enjoying building the car and i can relive my childhood.The build has been progressing well and we've got to the bit where we fit the electronics and this is where we have hit a problem

We dry fitted everything and tested that the servo drove the steering which worked fine. However when we then connect the motor we get a high pitched beep any time we try and hit forwards/reverse on the controller, but the steering still works

We are using the Tamiya TBLE-02S and have checked we have the wiring correct to the motor from the ESC so any hints or tips appreciated.

See what the LED on the speed controller does (blinks, how much in what colour etc.) and then refer to the manual. Usually they have a cause/symptom chart at the back. And try to take the motor out of the car (maybe the gear mesh is too tight) and see if it does the same.

Thanks - we've done a lot of trouble shooting last night with the ESC and it does suggest its programmed correctly. The one thing we did do was remove the motor and realised that it doesnt turn manually and wondered if its the motor thats causing the issue. I'm just waiting to hear back from the store we bought it from 

4 hours ago, MiltonFarb said:

Thanks - we've done a lot of trouble shooting last night with the ESC and it does suggest its programmed correctly. The one thing we did do was remove the motor and realised that it doesnt turn manually and wondered if its the motor thats causing the issue. I'm just waiting to hear back from the store we bought it from 

If you can't turn the pinion by hand at all then it's worth quickly checking that a stray screw hasn't been pulled into one of the motor ventilation holes by the motor's magnets, and is now jamming it up.

For ESC configuration it needs to be brushed not brushless (you can tell which it's set to from the colour of the LED when you switch it on I think?). And it needs to be the right 2 of the 3 wires that you've plugged in - can be confusing as the car's manual normally talks about the wire colours assuming a brushed-only ESC which only has 2 wires, but the TBLE-02S can do brushed or brushless, but the wire colours are the standard brushless colours. When connecting up the motor, go with the wire colouring for brushed mode in the TBLE-02S instruction sheet, and not the wire colouring in the car's build manual.

Its funny you mention the motor doesn't turn.

The one in my Supershot is very tight, I bought it second hand and assumed it had the gearbox assembled incorrectly but no it turned out the mototr was incredibly tight so I can see it being a tight motor.

Thanks for all the advice - we found that a washer had got pulled into the motor and was causing the issue. Now to fix the next challenge - we have the motor spinning but no drive - so some more investigations tonight