Sign in to follow this  
BoraBora

Advice for a beginner wanting to get into building

Those ESC would work but they are unsensored and you're better off with sensored, unless the waterproofing is really important. You could pair an appropriate motor with either of those and it would work. 

If you want cheap sensorless then look at GoolRC combos, if a 540 sized then 4000kv or thereabouts would probably work in a TT02. There are a lot which are probably all the same just rebranded, so try surpass hobby as well on ebay.

Personally I would take a look at those further up in the thread though, they are all sensored and there are a range of options from cheap to expensive

• Like 1

If it’s a new tt02 it comes with a motor and speed controller capable of brushed and brushless motors. I would stick with that and learn to build and upgrade later. With the included tble02s speed controller you can upgrade to a 13.5 brushless motor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Those ESC would work but they are unsensored and you're better off with sensored, unless the waterproofing is really important. You could pair an appropriate motor with either of those and it would work. 

If you want cheap sensorless then look at GoolRC combos, if a 540 sized then 4000kv or thereabouts would probably work in a TT02. There are a lot which are probably all the same just rebranded, so try surpass hobby as well on ebay.

Personally I would take a look at those further up in the thread though, they are all sensored and there are a range of options from cheap to expensive

36 minutes ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Thank you both looked over you're guys options and the whole thread and they seem better for sure. Thanks again for helping make my transition into this hobby alot easier and more pleasant. I managed to get a yeah racing full aluminum kit for 140$. so just need some gear upgrades soon and the car should be solid for awhile. I love the tt02's versatility  I have the NBR sti, and the Monte carlo sti kits, might get the BRZ kit later on for a drifter aswell.  Are the TT02B's worth it for a buggy? was thinking of just getting another arrma typhoon instead as my buggy . 

The quicrun 13.5t motor+esc combo is hard to beat for the price, I'd recommend that. 

TT02B needs at a minimum the metal differentials from a DF02 to be reliable as a basher, even with the stock brushed motor. A TT02B and Arrma Typhon are opposite ends of the spectrum for buggies. The TT02B being one of the most fragile and the Typhon being one of the toughest. If you want a TT02B to handle big power (<10.5t) and larger wheels than standard, expect to upgrade almost everything in the drivetrain.

• Like 1

Can anyone help me / point me in a direction for gearing , I ordered the Hobbywing quicrun setup with the 13.5T , also have a 15T and 3000kv motor,  I am not too good with gearing and ratios at all, would like to set up for the 13.5t ,can someone give me some setups to start on, pinion gear and spur ect. Or if you know of a good post with all the info in it. Would appreciate it thanks again. 

TT02B comes with a 17t pinion with 10.7 gear ratio? 

That's low enough you can use almost any motor.  However, if you are using brushless motors like 13.5t or 3000kv, they have more torque. So you can safely use 18t (10.1 FDR) or 19t (9.5 FDR) pinion also.  That way, you can get faster top speed without loss of acceleration. 

Make sure it's the right pitch.  Same number of teeth does not always mean the same size. (look at how different 48P and 0.6 are. I think TT02B uses M0.6, but not 100% sure. Tamiya uses different pitched gears even in one car.)   

yaqCZQY.jpg

If you choose a 15t brushed motor, I'd stay with 17t pinion. (15t motor won't work with Tamiya TBLE02S ESC. But would work with Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 ESC)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

TT02B comes with a 17t pinion with 10.7 gear ratio? 

That's low enough you can use almost any motor.  However, if you are using brushless motors like 13.5t or 3000kv, they have more torque. So you can safely use 18t (10.1 FDR) or 19t (9.5 FDR) pinion also.  That way, you can get faster top speed without loss of acceleration. 

Make sure it's the right pitch.  Same number of teeth does not always mean the same size. (look at how different 48P and 0.6 are. I think TT02B uses M0.6, but not 100% sure. Tamiya uses different pitched gears even in one car.)   

yaqCZQY.jpg

If you choose a 15t brushed motor, I'd stay with 17t pinion. (15t motor won't work with Tamiya TBLE02S ESC. But would work with Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 ESC)  

Thank you, and I am just running the standard tt02s with all the full mods right now,  I am a big subaru fan so I am building a subaru line up right now with the tt02 kits.  Monte carlo rally , NBR Sti, plan to buy a Tt02 Subaru BRZ kit soon also,  dont think Ill get a tt02b anytime soon  since im already too deep in these ones , i want the Xv01 subaru but kinda wanna keep in the tt02 family for now, spending too much on these cars, but i love it haha. Im gonna wait for Arrmas new car release on the 21st of Nov to see what thats about, maybe a Xmaxx killer,  but I did want the Arrma typhon 6s as my buggy to go with my Kraton, ill see.  

And I do have a brushed Tamiya ESC, their basic one that comes with the RTR cars so I can use that for that 15T brushed motor i got for now.  Ill start with those gearings and go from there. Thanks again. Ordered the Tamiya High speed gear aswell.

• Like 1