RC Kit: 
42345 TRF420 Chassis kit

New RC parts:
42346 TRF420 Wheel Axles (2 Pcs.)
42347 TRF420 Carbon Upper Deck
42348 TRF420 Carbon Lower Deck
42349 TRF420 Carbon Upper Deck 1.75mm
42350 TRF420 Aluminum Lower Deck
51636 TRF420 3x43mm Suspension Shafts (4 Pcs.)
51637 TRF420 3x25/22mm Suspension Shaft (2 Pcs.)
51638 TRF420 C-Parts (Front Uprights)
51639 TRF420 D-Parts (Suspension Arms)
51640 TRF420 E -Parts (Rear Uprights)
51641 TRF420 F-Parts
51642 TRF420 F Direct Pulley (37T)
51643 TRF420 Diff Pulley & Case (37T)
51644 TRF420 B-Parts (Bumper)
51645 TRF420 K-Parts (Bearing Holders)
51646 TRF420 Rear Belt (62T)

New RC parts for other chassises:
54886 TRF419 Suspension Upgrade Set
54927 Lunch Box Mini Clear Body

• Like 1

Any idea when this will be released? Was pretty sure it was coming since the 419 is on runout at TamiyaUSA.

This is really tempting even though I barely ever get to the onroad club. And am really really slow

But wait... there are tons of well uninformed RC racers that swore there would not be another TRF car.. how could Tamiya betray them like this and release a TRF420.. shame on them :D

• Haha 1

There just won't be another TRF off-road car...  :lol:

If you look at where Tamiya has actually won, it's on-road (IFMAR table here).

• Like 2

The TRF off-road cars where a push from Tam America.. the 1:8 was even designed my Tam America.. total waste of cap ex $... lesson learned for them.. 

14 hours ago, Raman36 said:

But wait... there are tons of well uninformed RC racers that swore there would not be another TRF car.. how could Tamiya betray them like this and release a TRF420.. shame on them :D

Yes, Tamiya are really not kind to their "insiders", who inform us all so well about all things Tamiya that never turn out to be correct. :P Well, in justice to Tamiya, Kyosho is just as iloyal to their "insiders" too. Just have a look at dir-tburners.com....

3mm suspension shaft, new bumper, new wheel axles, new bearing holders? It almost sounds like Tamiya wants to sell rebadged car from other manufacturer :D

Hmmm - is this really going to be the best choice ?

Not to be controversial - noting I’m normally red / blue, all the way through - but proven IFMAR race winning chassis from other manufacturers may offer better bang for our buck ?

That’s not to say the 420 isn’t a (belated) step up - it clearly is - but it’s hardly market leading ?

Esp when you factor what a properly hopped up kit will cost ...

In my opinion, Tamiya is making this kit "just because". The RC line isn't what makes most of the money (probably makes about 15-20% of the company). It's the modelling section, mini-4wd and accessories including paints, tools, etc that makes a lot of profit for Tamiya.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:12 PM, Raman36 said:

The TRF off-road cars where a push from Tam America.. the 1:8 was even designed my Tam America.. total waste of cap ex $... lesson learned for them.. 

At what measure was this a waste of capital? Tamiyas wanted a footprint in America and at the time 1/8 gas was the place to be.  The 801X family of cars won, sold relatively well, and because of those two grew the brand. I think their 4wd TRF buggies didn't do well because they were/are just too much money, but didn't the 501 take IFMAR too??

On 8/30/2019 at 8:04 PM, GTodd said:

At what measure was this a waste of capital? Tamiyas wanted a footprint in America and at the time 1/8 gas was the place to be.  The 801X family of cars won, sold relatively well, and because of those two grew the brand. I think their 4wd TRF buggies didn't do well because they were/are just too much money, but didn't the 501 take IFMAR too??

When companies make investments into an area that is not their speciality, more often then not, they fall flat on their faces and take on losses.  Tamiya has and always had a foot print in the US, they were the pioneers with TC and TRF cars.  Their specialty in Off-road has always been more scale / fun.  In addition, competition in off-road is very heavy... so the cost of entry is steep. 

Tamiya, yes their TRF buggies may have had some wins.. but so what, wins do not equate to return on investment.  801x won when they had a Ryan Lutz driving it.  The minute he left, the 801x was forgotten.   

The 801x / xt did not sell well. Tamiya USA ended up listing them on their site for $199.. and it took a couple of years for them to sell out.  

Kyosho has the opposite problem of Tamiya.. they are well known for off-road but can't make any advances into on road.  The TF7 is a beautiful car... but a total waste of investment for them.. yet they keep trying.  Even now, Kyosho has lost major ground in the US.

In the end it all comes down to marketing and local support, especially at the track.  The tracks I attend is heavily invested in AE, Xray.  As for Tamiya, only on road parts.  Majority run AE and Xray for on and off road.  I am one of few that runs Tamiya.