LeavingTheHobby

1986 The Falcon loft find - UK

Hi all,

Im looking for some advice, I own a Falcon in original condition with the original box, transmitter, electrics, tyres, spares, charger some paperwork etc and I am looking to sell it. Is anyone able to review the photos and give be some feedback on what you think its worth (in uk pounds). Ive seen a few on Ebay but would rather sell it to someone who will appreciate it rather than try and flip it for a profit. Any thoughts on if it is more valuable all together or if I sold the car, box, electrics etc separately? should I also clean it up or leave it as is for an enthusiast to choose to do? Look forward to your experienced thoughts.

Kind regards,

James 

IMG_8984.jpg

IMG_8985.jpg

IMG_8986.jpg

IMG_8987.jpg

IMG_8988.jpg

Ive had 5 Falcons and for some reason they dont fetch as much as other Tamiya buggies. Personally based on my experience you may get a £100 for the lot plus postage on top. You may have to wait a while until someone comes along who is actively seeking to buy a Falcon already.  My estimate is based on the front end being intact and not damaged in the areas theyre prone to, unless it is damaged. Its hard to tell by the photos, but if all is intact and structluerey okay, including the body (has been cut okay and not split at all) thats my estimate. Id put it up for sale on TC pages and the TC forum and just leave it there, renewing it every 2 to 3 months, after all it costs nothing and hopefully at some point that person will come along. Looks like a great restoration project.

Hey, thanks for responding and for your feedback. Its all intact, when I was a kid the chasis cracked and was replaced with an original new part (25 years ago) the old one is in the box along with suspension mounts etc and the car structurally is fine. Do you see any value in the additional parts and vintage charger or do you think selling it all together is the best option? I saw a few on EBay without all the additional stuff and boxes in bad condition that were listed for 200/250, are those guys just wishful thinking?

Thanks,

James 

Definitely keep it all together, and leave it "as found." The battery and charger are virtually worthless money-wise on their own, but including them as sort of a "time capsule" makes for a nice package. Too many of these old RC cars are getting modernized, or broken up and sold as parts. A good complete original package like this is getting scarce, and it would be a shame to try to break it all up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LeavingTheHobby said:

Hey, thanks for responding and for your feedback. Its all intact, when I was a kid the chasis cracked and was replaced with an original new part (25 years ago) the old one is in the box along with suspension mounts etc and the car structurally is fine. Do you see any value in the additional parts and vintage charger or do you think selling it all together is the best option? I saw a few on EBay without all the additional stuff and boxes in bad condition that were listed for 200/250, are those guys just wishful thinking?

Thanks,

James 

Theyre either dreamers or chancers, probably the latter. Lots of people get their idea of value because somebody lists something on ebay at a silly price and people think thats what its worth where as in reality if they checked the listing when it ends theyd find out it didnt actually sell. Some folks have a car that they dont really want to sell unless they can get a silly price for it, so they list it and if it dont sell it doesnt matter, and if it does sell theyre quids in. Though they never do sell at that price because most people are clued up to some degree. I dont think anybody would pay that for a Falcon even if it was mint and box-art. You could buy much more and better for that kind of  money, you'd have to be pretty stupid. selling as part or complete is up to you; generally you get a bit more selling seperately but generally theres always something that doesnt sell and your stuck with it.

7 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Definitely keep it all together, and leave it "as found." The battery and charger are virtually worthless money-wise on their own, but including them as sort of a "time capsule" makes for a nice package. Too many of these old RC cars are getting modernized, or broken up and sold as parts. A good complete original package like this is getting scarce, and it would be a shame to try to break it all up.

I totally agree with this guys thoughts.

I've been watching those 250 odd ones on ebay for a while now. They haven't sold & the price is firm (I KNOW WHAT I HAVE, RAN WHEN PARKED) I think at an absolute push you might get £200 from someone very dedicated if the chassis + box is virtually mint. I think £150 is a more realistic high end however.  Unless it is restored perfectly I'd say you're better off keeping it as is and selling it for restoration. For reference I've bought two fairly "well loved" falcons for £40 and £65, missing some parts and sans box. 

I'd try to sell on the forums or on a facebook page (tamiya legends etc) because then you won't take a loss with the ebay fees. 

5 hours ago, LeavingTheHobby said:

Ok great, thank you for that. I will keep it all together. Just charging the battery now to test if it works.

LTH,

I have a Falcon as a restored shelf queen and wanted to say thank you for sharing this, even if you are selling it. Your Falcon is a nice, unmolested original. Goes to show that many examples that were loved once upon a time, are still out there hiding away in attics and basements. 

• Like 1

Maybe they are not selling well because of the lack of parts?

Or maybe it just didn’t sell in the numbers that other buggies did?

i can’t see how it’s in hornet or grasshopper prices

I paid £112 for a job in a box with lot of bits (new and old) that I’m trying to build into 1 new and 1 knackered falcon (I’ve probably spent +£80 on additional parts to create the all new one (that’s before any hop ups or ESC etc)

the filthy one is still missing some parts too and a few bits need replacing but im not gonna take that one much further unless it’s worth it.

The “complete” one I paid £130 for with just a box lid and again there were lots of parts damaged that needed replacing  and it needed a full strip down and clean.

So I think £40 is v low (a chassis costs £20)

advertise it for what you think/want 

no skin off your nose to keep it

i have a friend looking so I’ll send him your way 

JJ